"Trent will be tremendous"

Pitta

I love Jaws but the guy also said JP would be very good....
I like Jaws as an analysis and an evaluator of talent and he isn't a TFAG (Typical Football Analysis Guy). He tends to talk specifics and avoids throwing out a bunch of cliches. I think it is a good sign that he likes Edwards. HOWEVER I think he has said similar things about JP Losman so my optimism is tempered a little bit.

If I remember correctly, I think even Jim Kelly was on the JP bandwagon at one point :rolleyes:

He probably wasn't as good as we all remember after 3 years because the team was stacked, but how many QB's drafted in the last 5-10 years are as good as Kelly was? Just a handfull if that, the guy had a swagger and confidence that made everyone billeave he could do it.

With this line and this schedule Trent will be back with an 8-8 record, a few good games and decent stats.

Given that... Juron may be gone, and with Ralph that is even a "may".

But in any case there is a good chance that next year at this time we are saying the same exact things about Trent with the exact same hope and optimism.

But here's hoping he has a great year!

He probably wasn't as good as we all remember after 3 years because the team was stacked, but how many QB's drafted in the last 5-10 years are as good as Kelly was? Just a handfull if that, the guy had a swagger and confidence that made everyone billeave he could do it.

With this line and this schedule Trent will be back with an 8-8 record, a few good games and decent stats.

But in any case there is a good chance that next year at this time we are saying the same exact things about Trent with the exact same hope and optimism.

The thing about this team this year in my mind is that we have the fire power and talent on both sides of the ball to be successfull if we can stay healthy. I feel that if the line is atleast average, and we can stay healthy we have the potential to be a wild card team. If not, i can easily see us going 7-9 again. I would says it's about 50-50 each way right now because we really don't know what we have yet.

Kelly was a full 2 years older than Edwards at the same point of their careers. Additionally, JK got to play in the USFL for 2 seasons which was a huge advantage TE didn't have. He was thrown into the fire as a 23 year old rookie. Furthermore, Kelly was 10-18 his first 2 seasons (Edwards is 12-11) and threw 15 tds and 17 ints his 3rd season for the Bills.

Back then, however, media wasn't as big and we didn't have message boards. but don't kid yourself. People would have been calling for Kelly's head after he threw an INt in the 2nd day of OTAs. I don't if peopel had more patience then or just less places to go to whine.

Kelly was a full 2 years older than Edwards at the same point of their careers. Additionally, JK got to play in the USFL for 2 seasons which was a huge advantage TE didn't have. He was thrown into the fire as a 23 year old rookie. Furthermore, Kelly was 10-18 his first 2 seasons (Edwards is 12-11) and threw 15 tds and 17 ints his 3rd season for the Bills.

Back then, however, media wasn't as big and we didn't have message boards. but don't kid yourself. People would have been calling for Kelly's head after he threw an INt in the 2nd day of OTAs. I don't if peopel had more patience then or just less places to go to whine.

:blush:

I love Jaws but the guy also said JP would be very good....

I love Jaws as well, he is one of the best in the business. With that said, I don't think he has ever met a quarterback he didn't like.

You can always use great players that struggled in their first few years, its easy to do.

Problem is for every 1 jim kelly there are 500 guys like trent edwards that might only play 3 years or so in the NFL.

Its how it goes man, if Trent puts up poor #'s again this year his career might quickly be over. Its a cut throat league, you will say he is young, but if you don't show much early on you lose chances at this position.

JP losman is a perfect example.

This is Edwards 2nd full year as a starter in this league and it is make or break for him? Would you cut Sanchez or Stafford after 2-3 years in the league?

Absolutely! After he has a full year this year. If we dont get to the playoffs largely in part to his shortcomings, then yes cut him.

of course its a make or break year for him! Its a make or make or break for a ton of Bills staff. Look at Matt Ryan, thats what you need.

Absolutely! After he has a full year this year. If we dont get to the playoffs largely in part to his shortcomings, then yes cut him.

of course its a make or break year for him! Its a make or make or break for a ton of Bills staff. Look at Matt Ryan, thats what you need.

What if, say, Trent has a breakout season but the team as a whole sucks and we miss the playoffs again? I assume Dick would be fired and a new coach would come in and probably have a different system. What would the popular opinion be at that point?

Fair enough. What if Ryan has a horrible season this year due to teams having more film and keying on him? What then?

as Dick says, he has a lot to learn

unfortunately, the Bills don't have any coaches capable of teaching him how to be a quality NFL starter

maybe Trent can try some home schooling

Kinda like the starting QB before him hmmmm..... i wonder how many of you rapscallions will run Edwards out of town when he goes through the same cycle as JP meanwhile DJ gets re-signed for another 3 years

Kinda like the starting QB before him hmmmm..... i wonder how many of you rapscallions will run Edwards out of town when he goes through the same cycle as JP meanwhile DJ gets re-signed for another 3 years

I am giving Trent until the 2nd preseason game. If he is not voted to the pro bowl by then, :wallbash: him.

As said hundreds of times already, 2009 is a make or break year for Trent, our current coaching staff, and this core of players. If we fail to make the playoffs again this franchise will make drastic changes next offseason. I look for Trent to answer the call and have a breakout season with a full year of starting experience under his belt, the acquisition of Owens and Rhodes, the no-huddle offense, more Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Steve Johnson, etc. My main concern with Trent is that he stays healthy. If he does, this is a dangerous team that should make a run for a wildcard spot.

Dangerous teams make a run at the Super Bowl, not to just hopefully get a wild card spot. Around week 5 we will know all we need to know about this team. I am somewhat pessimistic because our coaching staff is a bunch of monkeys.

Jaws must have dementia. One too many hits to the melon, methinks.

A few years ago I saw a roundtable discussion that involved Jaws, Merril Hoge and one of the Sharpe brothers (it must have been Sterling since I didn't change the channel). They did some back of the envelope math and figured they had racked up something like 50+ concussions between them. :unsure:

The 2008 version of the team begs to differ.

Why? Because they won some easy games. None of those teams we beat had winning records. I wasnt sold on them then and I am not sold on them now. Look, I want them to win as much as the next guy....but do you really think Jauron and company can lead us to the promise land? Look at the meltdown last year? And our training staff is suspect as well. Note all the injuries over the past 5 years. Alot more than most teams.