Black Quarterback

Pitta

I was talking with a friend about the possibility of Buffalo pursuing Vick, and it made me think...have the Bills ever had a black quarterback on the roster? I've only been following the team since the Kelly era, but I can't remember us ever having a black quarterback, even on the practice squad?

Can anyone help me out here?

I was talking with a friend about the possibility of Buffalo pursuing Vick, and it made me think...have the Bills ever had a black quarterback on the roster? I've only been following the team since the Kelly era, but I can't remember us ever having a black quarterback, even on the practice squad?

harris ...briscoe

I don't really remember this but Marlin "The Magician" Briscoe was the first black quarterback to start an NFL game in the Modern Era which is typically considered the period after the NFL-AFL Merger.

But the game he started in October of '68 was for the Denver Broncos in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals. In the first of several ironies, his coach in Denver was none other than the late, iconic Bills coach Lou Saban who had left the Bills after the 1965 season.

In spite of his pioneering achievement, Briscoe was released by the Broncos after the '68 season and picked up by the Bills.

The Bills moved him to wide receiver because they had the late, iconic quarterback Jack Kemp, Tom Flores (future Super Bowl winning coach), and another black quarterback, Jim Harris who they had selected in the 8th round (this is the same year they drafted O.J. Simpson).

In 1969 Briscoe's career as a quarterback ended because the Bills had three quarterbacks including Jim/James Harris. And because of injuries, Jim Harris started the 1969 opener for the Bills thus becoming the first black NFL quarterback to start a season opener and the second quarterback after Briscoe to start a modern era NFL game. To add to the story, several of Briscoe's receptions in 1969 were from Harris. And Harris became the first black NFL quarterback to start a Conference Championship Game. Briscoe went on to an excellent career as a wide receiver.

Yet another interesting fact is that the other black Bills quarterback mentioned, Willie Totten, besides having been Jerry Rice's college quarterback at Mississippi Valley State University is now the Head Coach of that school.

The stadium at MVSU is named Rice-Totten Field, after himself and Jerry Rice. Probably not many people have coached in a stadium named after themselves.

Anyways the black quarterbacks associated with the Bills have all been pretty important figures in football history.

Wow.... :unsure:

Ironically, the Dean did the same thing to me (answered something I had answered a few posts before) in a another thread...just in the last day or two...I was tempted to do the same thing (post a link to it), but then I started to realize, it happens quite a bit, to me, anyways..I don't think anyone reads my posts....am I paranoid? :angry::blink:

I don't really remember this but Marlin "The Magician" Briscoe was the first black quarterback to start an NFL game in the Modern Era which is typically considered the period after the NFL-AFL Merger.

But the game he started in October of '68 was for the Denver Broncos in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals. In the first of several ironies, his coach in Denver was none other than the late, iconic Bills coach Lou Saban who had left the Bills after the 1965 season.

In spite of his pioneering achievement, Briscoe was released by the Broncos after the '68 season and picked up by the Bills.

The Bills moved him to wide receiver because they had the late, iconic quarterback Jack Kemp, Tom Flores (future Super Bowl winning coach), and another black quarterback, Jim Harris who they had selected in the 8th round (this is the same year they drafted O.J. Simpson).

In 1969 Briscoe's career as a quarterback ended because the Bills had three quarterbacks including Jim/James Harris. And because of injuries, Jim Harris started the 1969 opener for the Bills thus becoming the first black NFL quarterback to start a season opener and the second quarterback after Briscoe to start a modern era NFL game. To add to the story, several of Briscoe's receptions in 1969 were from Harris. And Harris became the first black NFL quarterback to start a Conference Championship Game. Briscoe went on to an excellent career as a wide receiver.

Yet another interesting fact is that the other black Bills quarterback mentioned, Willie Totten, besides having been Jerry Rice's college quarterback at Mississippi Valley State University is now the Head Coach of that school.

The stadium at MVSU is named Rice-Totten Field, after himself and Jerry Rice. Probably not many people have coached in a stadium named after themselves.

Anyways the black quarterbacks associated with the Bills have all been pretty important figures in football history.

Excellent summary. I knew Briscoe played some QB, but I didn't realize he started a game in '68. He wasn't a bad QB, really just a better WR. Those who worship the big arm, would have like Harris. That mofo could throw the ball with authority.

Hey really sorry about that "Dean" I did this from my cell phone...Hey maybe when I sacrifice my social life and get 18000 posts deep I wont make mistakes like that again.......(waiting for some sarcastic and predictable reply...tic....toc)

Maybe you should find time in that social life to acquire a sense of humor and humility. (Does that satisfy your "sarcastic and predictable" requirement?)

I didn't say, or imply, anything negative. I was just bustin' your chops, a little. I find it a little bit odd that someone has the time to reply to a post while socializing (and somehow believes the answer wouldn't be posted by one of the hundreds of Bills' fans who visit here regularly), but not to red the few posts immediately following the first post. But I applaud your sense of duty/responsibility for other fans (I actually mean that).

Excellent summary. I knew Briscoe played some QB, but I didn't realize he started a game in '68. He wasn't a bad QB, really just a better WR. Those who worship the big arm, would have like Harris. That mofo could throw the ball with authority.

harris could throw the ball 100 yards. no other QBs could ever do that. Jeff George could wing it 90. Trent can heave it 60-65 yards with a running start--bout the same as a good HS QB. But he gets the ball there sufficiently.

I'd love to have Michael Vick on the team. He is a once in a generation-type great athlete.-Unless hes bringing baggage with him. anyone hear of anything?

Jim Harris started the 1969 opener for the Bills thus becoming the first black NFL quarterback to start a season opener and the second quarterback after Briscoe to start a modern era NFL game.

The Bills didn't play in the NFL until the 1970 season. Therefore, Harris did not become the 1st black NFL QB to start a season opener in 1969, nor was Briscoe the 1st to start a modern era NFL game. They both attained these milestones in the AFL.

The AFL deserves the credit for helping to bring football into the 20th century, the NFL had nothing to do with Harris or Briscoe until the 1970 merger.

The Bills didn't play in the NFL until the 1970 season. Therefore, Harris did not become the 1st black NFL QB to start a season opener in 1969, nor was Briscoe the 1st to start a modern era NFL game. They both attained these milestones in the AFL.

The AFL deserves the credit for helping to bring football into the 20th century, the NFL had nothing to do with Harris or Briscoe until the 1970 merger.

Damn right. I can't believe I typed NFL in my response. It was late...but still.

Fail, on my part.

Harris didn't start a game at QB in 1970: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJa01.htm

His first post-merger start at QB appears to be Nov. 7, 1971, for the Bills and against Miami:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...rJa01_games.htm

Was that the first NFL start by a black QB?

See! Told you I didn't really remember this!

I knew this at one time, at this point in life I'm hoping that I'm still learning new things faster than I forget old things. Thanks for correcting.

Harris didn't start a game at QB in 1970: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJa01.htm

His first post-merger start at QB appears to be Nov. 7, 1971, for the Bills and against Miami:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...rJa01_games.htm

Was that the first NFL start by a black QB?

Harris started the 1969 opener for the Bills when he was a rookie. Kemp was a bit banged up but came in later when Harris was ineffective. But he was the 1st black pro quarterback to start a season opener in recent times.

Post merger, I don't know.