language question

Saying axe vs a double negative? Please. I am not looking for someone to edit my novel, just someone who understands when street talk is or is not appropriate.

In most cases, I'm guessing it's not voluntary. Most folks who use "axe" probably had parents who used "axe" and that's just the way they pronounce it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying axe vs a double negative? Please. I am not looking for someone to edit my novel, just someone who understands when street talk is or is not appropriate.

Understandable but does the word axe, impede them from paying the rent or keeping the place nice? Guy could look and speak perfectly, but have a huge drug addiction (spending all his money) and beat his girlfriend every night, But hey he speaks well.

That's not hard to understand. It's appropriate when you are on the street and want to sound ignorant. But certainly never appropriate in written form.

I knew when I started this my every sentence would get scrutinized by the English professor's,and I have not been disappointed.

Did you go to the erynthered school of apostrophe use? :rolleyes:

Most folks who use "axe" probably had parents who used "axe" and that's just the way they pronounce it.

My dad used it to split firewood.

In most cases, I'm guessing it's not voluntary. Most folks who use "axe" probably had parents who used "axe" and that's just the way they pronounce it.

Got it. So those raised in ignorance should be allowed to continue the ignorance?

If someone can't be troubled to act and speak in a professional manner when in a professional setting, interviewing, applying for rent, etc, then why should i be troubled to hire them/rent to them, etc? If they don't care enough to act and speak professional during the interview, chances are they aren't going to care about their job i am hiring them for or they aren't going to care for the property i am renting to them.

Got it. So those raised in ignorance should be allowed to continue the ignorance?

If someone can't be troubled to act and speak in a professional manner when in a professional setting, interviewing, applying for rent, etc, then why should i be troubled to hire them/rent to them, etc? If they don't care enough to act and speak professional during the interview, chances are they aren't going to care about their job i am hiring them for or they aren't going to care for the property i am renting to them.

Thank you. Nicely put.

Hey, it annoys me too, but the way that a person speaks is usually a pretty small window into the quality of that person. Don't forget, people get nervous when they're interviewing.

That hurts my ears. Unfortunately, so many ignoramuses (ignorami?) use it, dictionaries are now starting to list it as a word.

A couple more that bug me are:

Orientated. Hell the spell check even accepts it. I guess it is considered OK. Why? What happened to "oriented"?

Do do. As in, "I don't do this, but I do do that." Horrendous. Do do?

ha ha....You said do do.... :blush:

I know it's rediculous, but it makes me laugh alot....

Never understood that, either. What, you have so little confidence in yourself that you say "axe" instead of "ask"?

Maybe you're different, but a lot of people revert back to bad speaking behaviors when they get nervous.

Anyway, my point is that a person using "axe" might not be very intelligent, but I don't see it as an impetus to judge them as a person who's less likely to be a good renter.

What was not cool man was being left holding the bag for 3 months rent and replacing a kitchen floor that looked like someone used a rototiller on it. This is a business and I can't afford not to be critical of who I rent to.

Don't you ask for first and last month's rent up front? That is three months rent in advance before even the tenant moves in. Me think that would make your "axe" argument moot.

:blush:

No. Why is it ignorant?

How do you explain what the word vernacular means? Ever hear of the word?

Main Entry:1ver·nac·u·lar

Pronunciation:\və®-ˈna-kyə-lər\

Function:adjective

Etymology:Latin vernaculus native, from verna slave born in the master's house, native

Date:1601

1 a: using a language or dialect native to a region or country rather than a literary, cultured, or foreign language b: of, relating to, or being a nonstandard language or dialect of a place, region, or country c: of, relating to, or being the normal spoken form of a language

2: applied to a plant or animal in the common native speech as distinguished from the Latin nomenclature of scientific classification <the vernacular name>

3: of, relating to, or characteristic of a period, place, or group ; especially : of, relating to, or being the common building style of a period or place <vernacular architecture>

— ver·nac·u·lar·ly adverb

As in Black English Vernacular... Ie: Ebonics.

I suppose the English would take all Americans to task (no doubt they do) for not speaking the "Queen's English."

As much as people don't like it, ax(e) is becoming ask. Just as other words get butchered. It is not just street talk anymore, and hasn't been for a long time.

Don't you ask for first and last month's rent up front? That is three months rent in advance before even the tenant moves in. Me think that would make your "axe" argument moot.

:rolleyes:

Two months rent, not three. And never call it "last month" That way they think the last month is paid for. It's a security deposit to cover damages,or to be returned if there is none. And by the way, I cut him some slack because his 65 year old mother lives in the unit below him. But he didn't care, and got evicted

As a interesting side note, in the court eviction hearing,the judge gave him 48 hours to vacant the property. That would be 11am on a Friday,so he "axed" me if he could move on Saturday. OK by me, I don't want to deal with your furniture. So he spends all day Sat. moving every thing he owns into a U haul truck, and parks it across the street. And there it sat for a week. Then it was gone. I found out from his step Father that he didn't pay the bill to U haul,so they towed the truck and threw every thing in the box in the Dumpster.

Two months rent, not three. And never call it "last month" That way they think the last month is paid for. It's a security deposit to cover damages,or to be returned if there is none.

When I looked for an apartment in SF, some wanted first, last and a month (or more) security. For one place that was about $7,000 up front. I told the guy, if I had $7,000 to lay out right now, I wouldn't be trying to rent your apartment.

When I looked for an apartment in SF, some wanted first, last and a month (or more) security. For one place that was about $7,000 up front. I told the guy, if I had $7,000 to lay out right now, I wouldn't be trying to rent your apartment.

:rolleyes: Man, I need to sell here and buy in SF. $7000 up front? To rent a apartment? no wonder California is in the tank.

:rolleyes: Man, I need to sell here and buy in SF. $7000 up front? To rent a apartment? no wonder California is in the tank.

San fran and NYC and London and Paris etc of course are going to be more expensive than normal cities.

Try renting an apt in a decent Manhattan neighborhood. 3 K easily per month--and thats nothing fancy.

Is that use of axe really that widespread? I'm exposed to horrible english daily on my subway ride to and from work, but I don't really hear that one very often. The one that drives me crazy more than anything else (well, other than people who use "like" or drop f-bombs every other word) is the butchering of "seen".