language question

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my former boss used to say "Pacific" for "Specific" and "Excederin" for "Etcetera(sp)"

another one that kills me is "Sangue-wich" and "Bayje", i think they are ohio-ans mostly that say it that way...drives me crazy

Bayje? What's that used for?

I own rental property and as soon as I hear"axe" I bounce the potential renter.[lets not get into how I legally do this] Is this just my personal opinion,or does that raise red flags to any of you?

Seems reasonable. I rejected people who did not put proper spacing on what they wrote on the application.

the color beige...the mispronunciation is more like bay-juh

Oh, I get it.

Seems reasonable. I rejected people who did not put proper spacing on what they wrote on the application.

It's very important for tenants to be properly spaced.

I own rental property and as soon as I hear"axe" I bounce the potential renter.[lets not get into how I legally do this] Is this just my personal opinion,or does that raise red flags to any of you?

wow that seems really illegal. Not cool man.

This actually raises an interesting question; If the majority of society THINKS that a nonsense term is a word, does it become a word? After all, our language is updated constantly based on society's whims. 10 years ago, any English scholar would have scoffed at the notion of "google" being deemed a word in the near future and yet it has a place in the dictionary, as a verb no less.

Linky

Homer Simpson's catchphrase "d'oh!" has made it into the updated online edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, published on Thursday.

It makes the expression an official word of the English language.

The revision also includes such words as "full monty", originally a reference to large breakfasts eaten by Field Marshall Montgomery, but now a reference to total nudity after the film of the same name.

Oh, I get it.

It's very important for tenants to be properly spaced.

I'm assuming your landlord is very happy with you as a tenant then! :beer:

Legally (being a landlord) you can reject a tenant for ANY reason other than what is illegal in the US (assuming you are renting in US), your state, your community and your property covenants. Proving it and having a laywer suing you just to get you to settle out of court, having a judge rule against you in small claims court without legal basis or being convicted in public opinion court / press is a different issue.

I am not a laywer but I have paid and paid a laywer for legal advice before.

Legally (being a landlord) you can reject a tenant for ANY reason other than what is illegal in the US (assuming you are renting in US), your state, your community and your property covenants. Proving it and having a laywer suing you just to get you to settle out of court, having a judge rule against you in small claims court without legal basis or being convicted in public opinion court / press is a different issue.

I am not a laywer but I have paid and paid a laywer for legal advice before.

I have gotten a little stricter in my screening lately. I now run credit checks[didn't before] and most of the"let me axe you" types have lousy/none, and thats a justifiable reason for denial.

What was not cool,man was being left holding the bag for 3 months rent and replacing a kitchen floor that looked like someone used a rototiller on it. This is a business and I can't afford not to be critical of who I rent to.

I wonder how many perspective tenants would want to rent from a landlord who uses double negatives. :rolleyes:

I rejected a tenant based on a rental history I asked tenant to write. It was not fill in the blank but gave what was needed for periods where tenant was renting and not. Got back form with comments on staying with housemates but would not give address or name (address was gone and was not living as actual tenant on lease but subbing), unexplained periods without housing and note "nin of you're busines", and other residences where only general info was given (Building name but not even full address without renter's contact). Bouncing was easy for it was someone I did not want to be responsible for property or making payments. My reasons for refusing was written all over papers suppied.

I rejected a tenant based on a rental history I asked tenant to write. It was not fill in the blank but gave what was needed for periods where tenant was renting and not. Got back form with comments on staying with housemates but would not give address or name (address was gone and was not living as actual tenant on lease but subbing), unexplained periods without housing and note "nin of you're busines", and other residences where only general info was given (Building name but not even full address without renter's contact). Bouncing was easy for it was someone I did not want to be responsible for property or making payments. My reasons for refusing was written all over papers suppied.

That would be enough for me.

I knew when I started this my every sentence would get scrutinized by the English professor's,and I have not been disappointed.

Well, it's funny that you criticize a person and make judgments on them about their use of the language. Then, you mess it up yourself.

And a space after a comma is normally used. :rolleyes:

Well, it's funny that you criticize a person and make judgments on them about their use of the language. Then, you mess it up yourself.

And a space after a comma is normally used. :rolleyes:

Saying axe vs a double negative? Please. I am not looking for someone to edit my novel, just someone who understands when street talk is or is not appropriate.