language question

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own rental property and as soon as I hear"axe" I bounce the potential renter.[lets not get into how I legally do this] Is this just my personal opinion,or does that raise red flags to any of you?

I am willing to bet it would in a court of law. With that said, I remember tormenting one black waitress, she would walk up and say, "Let me axe you a question." She had a college degree btw. After a bit, I would cower every time she said she wanted to axe me. She got frustrated and said, "Ask, happy now?"

:lol:

It's a good think you don't own property in Milwaukee and have a similar reaction to the mispronunciation of the words "moot" or "fathom". You wouldn't find too many applicants that met your standard.

I think if I ever own rental property, I will refuse to rent to people who leave the "r" sound off of words like "car" and "bar", but put the "r" sound at the end of words like "pizza" or stick it somewhere into "Washington".

stick it somewhere into "Washington".

That one always irks me too.

So do people who can't figure out when to use singular v plural. One penny is a 'cent'. More than one is 'cents'.

I once tossed a resume in the trash because his name was Rocco. The Italian chick I was fooling around with at the time was not amused.

i can hear the mispronunciations in all your examples except 'fathom'....how do people in Mealay-Walkay pronounce it?

It's a good think you don't own property in Milwaukee and have a similar reaction to the mispronunciation of the words "moot" or "fathom". You wouldn't find too many applicants that met your standard.

I think if I ever own rental property, I will refuse to rent to people who leave the "r" sound off of words like "car" and "bar", but put the "r" sound at the end of words like "pizza" or stick it somewhere into "Washington".

i can hear the mispronunciations in all your examples except 'fathom'....how do people in Mealay-Walkay pronounce it?

They say, "I can't phantom that." But unless you live in Beertown, it is a "mute" point,.

Quick story...

April 1994 - We're a bunch of idiot lieutenants (redundancy) getting ready for a week-long FTX at Ft. Gordon. The Friday before, we get a briefing from a TAC Officer who happens to be African American. He is stressing that we should not be afraid to make mistakes, nor should we fear looking stupid by not knowing something.

"If you don't know something, axe somebody. If you got a question, axe someone. We don't expect you to know everything, that's why you're here. You need to know, right? Don't be afraid to axe someone."

Little Swedish girl from Minnesota (hey, another redundancy) raises her had and in a poor attempt at humor asks, "Sir, will we be issued axes for the FTX?" A few polite chuckles, but the rest of us just look at our boots. The captain replies with a wry smile, "I'm sorry. ASK somebody."

That one always irks me too.

So do people who can't figure out when to use singular v plural. One penny is a 'cent'. More than one is 'cents'.

I once tossed a resume in the trash because his name was Rocco. The Italian chick I was fooling around with at the time was not amused.

God forbid you got a resume from a guy named Guido.

Speaking of bizarre reasons to reject applicants...

Once I had a guy come in for an interview at 4PM in the afternoon, on a HOT, MUGGY and slightly rainy day. Even though I was inside with air conditioning, it was still very humid. By mid-afternoon I was sweating, disheveled, tie undone, top shirt button undone...I looked like hell, and so did most of the office, Anyway, this guy comes in and he looks PERFECT. He had to park and walk a little to get to the office...maybe he was dropped off, but still. Not a hair out of place, not one bead of sweat. He looked like he walked off an advertisement of a high end magazine. I admit to some prejudice in this matter. I will not hire an alien posing as a human.

I also almost didn't hire a guy because he was WAY too nice and polite. Seemed like a phony to me. But I hired him, anyway and he was a great employee.

Little Swedish girl from Minnesota (hey, another redundancy) raises her had and in a poor attempt at humor asks, "Sir, will we be issued axes for the FTX?" A few polite chuckles, but the rest of us just look at our boots. The captain replies with a wry smile, "I'm sorry. ASK somebody."

I think I'd like that girl.

I own rental property and as soon as I hear"axe" I bounce the potential renter.[lets not get into how I legally do this] Is this just my personal opinion,or does that raise red flags to any of you?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Myself, I would reject any potential renter of our spare room that can't pronounce "Kakorrhaphiophobia" properly.

:P

So you wouldn't rent to Katherine O'Conner from Boston?

:P

I wouldn't either.

And what is the mysterious "s" that people in Chicago add to everything and then get mad/uppity when somebody says:

Ill i noise

:wallbash::wallbash:

I think the answer can be found in Des Plaines, Illinois. :D;)

Not on my skreet.

God forbid you got a resume from a guy named Guido.

Speaking of bizarre reasons to reject applicants...

Once I had a guy come in for an interview at 4PM in the afternoon, on a HOT, MUGGY and slightly rainy day. Even though I was inside with air conditioning, it was still very humid. By mid-afternoon I was sweating, disheveled, tie undone, top shirt button undone...I looked like hell, and so did most of the office, Anyway, this guy comes in and he looks PERFECT. He had to park and walk a little to get to the office...maybe he was dropped off, but still. Not a hair out of place, not one bead of sweat. He looked like he walked off an advertisement of a high end magazine. I admit to some prejudice in this matter. I will not hire an alien posing as a human.

I also almost didn't hire a guy because he was WAY too nice and polite. Seemed like a phony to me. But I hired him, anyway and he was a great employee.

I find it hard to imagin that you own a tie much less wear one.

I once didn't hire a girl because she was too good looking. Now don't get me wrong -- I love hiring attractive women, but this girl was jaw-on-the-floor beautiful and sexy as all hell. A true 10. After the interview I realized I had no idea what she had talked about because I was so distracted by her looks. There's simply no way I (or anyone else in the office) could have hired her and gotten any work done.

I once didn't hire a girl because she was too good looking. Now don't get me wrong -- I love hiring attractive women, but this girl was jaw-on-the-floor beautiful and sexy as all hell. A true 10. After the interview I realized I had no idea what she had talked about because I was so distracted by her looks. There's simply no way I (or anyone else in the office) could have hired her and gotten any work done.

New scene.

Daylight exterior shot of Yankee Stadium, then to George Costanza’s

office where he is interviewing an attractive applicant for his

secretary job.

Applicant: Well, I type about 90 words a minute. I’m completely

well-versed in all IBM and Macintosh programs.

George: (looking over her resume) Well Miss Coggins you're ah, obviously

qualified for the job. You've all the necessary skills and experience.

But you're extremely attractive. you're gorgeous. I’m looking at you,

I can't even remember my name. So ah, I’m afraid this is not going to

work out (he crumples her resume into a ball) Thanks for coming in.

(the camera is now back on the applicant's seat, but another even more

attractive woman is seated there)

George: You're luscious. You're ravishing. I would give up red meat

just to get a glimpse of you in a bra. I’m terribly sorry. (both

George and the attractive female applicant stand up as George reaches

across the desk and shakes her hand for coming in)

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheSecretary.html