So You Think You Can Dance

ajzepp

I will be the first to admit that I've always found most styles of dancing very boring and kind of gay. I enjoyed watching break dancing back in the 80s, and there are times when I enjoy hip-hop routines. But ballroom, broadway, etc. just never did anything for me.

I watch So You Think You Can Dance from time to time, and there have been some times when I felt like I sort of "got it". I started listening to the choreographers talk about their motivation when they put a piece together, and I began to understand more about how the dancers convey the meaning through their movements. Anyway, last night they had a routine about breast cancer, and it really moved me. This disease took my mom from me two years ago, so the concept hits very close to home already...but I think this is the sort of thing that can really touch people and, as one of the judges said, really affect people without a single word.

So anyway, here is the routine for anyone who would like to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_TCK5OCgss

Call me thick, but I don't see what this dance has to do with breast cancer. I watch the show regularly (where do I turn in my man card?), and I hate it when the choreographers say that the dance is telling a particular story. It seems like a cheap way to make people like your dance more.

If no one told you the dance was about breast cancer, would it still have moved you as much as it did? Did it even matter what dance they did, or were you sold as soon as they gave the premise?

Call me thick, but I don't see what this dance has to do with breast cancer. I watch the show regularly (where do I turn in my man card?), and I hate it when the choreographers say that the dance is telling a particular story. It seems like a cheap way to make people like your dance more.

If no one told you the dance was about breast cancer, would it still have moved you as much as it did? Did it even matter what dance they did, or were you sold as soon as they gave the premise?

I understand exactly what you mean, cause that's how I always used to feel, too.

Breast Cancer sucks

It took your mom 2 years ago and mine last year :lol:

Really sorry to hear that, man...I dont know if you felt the same way, but I always grew up feeling as if my mom would always be there. It was just unfathomable that one day she'd be gone, especially at 60 y.o. I'll never forget how it felt to have my mom tell me how scared she was that she'd never see my niece grow up, or be there for us (my brother, father, and me) anymore. It was probably the most profound and painful conversation I've ever had with her.

I dont know if you felt the same way, but I always grew up feeling as if my mom would always be there. It was just unfathomable that one day she'd be gone, especially at 60 y.o.

I felt the same way. There were 2 rock solid constants in my life....mom and dad. No matter where I went, what I did, or how I did it, mom and dad would always be there.

Whenever I referred to my parents I either called them "the rents" or "mom and dad". Rarely did I refer to them in the singular (just mom or just dad) always mom and dad. Needless to say I have since become much more protective and worrisome about my dad since my mom passed (who like yours was also 60)

I felt the same way. There were 2 rock solid constants in my life....mom and dad. No matter where I went, what I did, or how I did it, mom and dad would always be there.

Whenever I referred to my parents I either called them "the rents" or "mom and dad". Rarely did I refer to them in the singular (just mom or just dad) always mom and dad. Needless to say I have since become much more protective and worrisome about my dad since my mom passed (who like yours was also 60)

60 is way too fuggin young, man...wish we could both renegotiate that deal with the big man. :lol: