More NFL Ready, Weight Factor vs. Muscle?

Pitta

A while back I posted a topic about how fit an NFL QB really has to be, in regards to my younger brother at Auburn.

Now my question is this, generally outside of linemen, is it better to have a large body mass or more muscle?

Now here's the thing, a lot of big guys have a lot of muscle mass, but they also generally have a body fat percentage of 15% or more.

Then there's guys who are 5"11 and 175lb but have a body fat percentage around 8%, which is my younger brother.

Which is better? I find to be a receiver it's better to not be as buff because you can run faster and have better cardio with less weight and body fat, but he wants to be a QB.

A while back I posted a topic about how fit an NFL QB really has to be, in regards to my younger brother at Auburn.

Now my question is this, generally outside of linemen, is it better to have a large body mass or more muscle?

Now here's the thing, a lot of big guys have a lot of muscle mass, but they also generally have a body fat percentage of 15% or more.

Then there's guys who are 5"11 and 175lb but have a body fat percentage around 8%, which is my younger brother.

Which is better? I find to be a receiver it's better to not be as buff because you can run faster and have better cardio with less weight and body fat, but he wants to be a QB.

The trend I see is quarterbacks not getting too muscular. One of the rare exceptions that comes to mind is Brady Quinn and he's not starting. And he's had some injuries.

I personally think quarterbacks with leaner builds get hurt more often. Flexibility is key in football. But if you're brother is 5'11" 175lbs, he's not going to play QB in the SEC. Not to be a jerk, but beggars can't be choosers. He might for a few games, if he's lucky. He's better off playing another position like WR, CB, or S. It's going to come down to whether he wants to play football or not.

The trend I see is quarterbacks not getting too muscular. One of the rare exceptions that comes to mind is Brady Quinn and he's not starting. And he's had some injuries.

I personally think quarterbacks with leaner builds get hurt more often. Flexibility is key in football. But if you're brother is 5'11" 175lbs, he's not going to play QB in the SEC. Not to be a jerk, but beggars can't be choosers. He might for a few games, if he's lucky. He's better off playing another position like WR, CB, or S. It's going to come down to whether he wants to play football or not.

Brett Favre would seem to have the ideal body type for QB.

football instincts and being in good football shape....weight room fitness aint the answer.

not necc true...if the guy can play he can play..of course he would have to be verrry good at that size

I think its athleticism over both..have seen small & large players alike looking fat and some more built

play well and the opposite...that being said, I really replied to say your avatar rocks!