The main reason for the offensive re-emerngence

What is the MAJOR factor in why we have been doing better in the last few weeks from the first few and from last year  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What is the MAJOR factor in why we have been doing better in the last few weeks from the first few and from last year

• Willis McGahee. Nuff said. He runs tougher, the defenses cannot blitz Bledsoe, he pass blocks better, he's a bigger threat.
    • The offensive line. Pure and simple. Rueben is gone. Tucker and Villarial have come on. Big Mike is better. They are starting to gel. McNally's schemes have begun to sink in and the OL is drinking the kool-aid.
    • Drew. The new Drew is playing better and not making mistakes. The coaches have reeled him in. He is avoiding the rush. He's getting better blocking and he's getting the ball off quicker. He's not turning the ball over and he's getting the ball in the endzone from the redzone.
    • The coaches and coaching. No doubt. Killdrive is gone. Mularkey, TC and Wyche have reigned in Bledsoe, committed to the power run and McNally is working his magic. Not to mention addition by subtraction of the garbage we had before.
    • Moulds not being hurt. Lee Evans replacing Josh Reed put speed and big play ability back into the line-up. With Moulds back, teams can't load the box and blitz Bledsoe like mad and force him into bonehead plays. Campbell and Euhus are getting open up the middle. Willis and Shelton are catching the ball from the backfield.
    • None of them. This team still stinks.
    • All of them pretty equally. One maybe a little more than the other, say, Willis more than the WRs, but they all have played a significant role and without all of these changes we would still suck.

I'll start. I think it's all of them more than just Willis. Moulds not being hurt and Evans starting to make plays is huge. The coaching and philosophy is huge. Reigning in Bledsoe and not making him try to win games for you is huge. Not having Killdrive is huge. The OL improvement is huge. Willis has been great but all of it put together has been the key.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say that the team and staff are gradually becoming more comfortable with each other's strengths and weaknesses and more importantly more comfortable and familiar with the new offense.

As secondary factors I would list in order:

1-Drew's improved play. He's still had his struggles (Balt/Oak/most of the NYJ1/Mia games) but for the most part he's made much better decisions with the ball. If he continues to stay upright and move effectively (if not smoothly:) we should continue to see an increase in how much time his eyes spend downfield where they belong, which is a huge factor in the Bills ability to get the ball upfield.

2-Willis' contributions. He's already a better and more complete back than Travis and the Bills offense is discernably different the minute he walks on the field.

3-A healthy Teague and Jennings and the insertion of the nasty Tucker into the lineup. I think the OLine has been markedly improved from last year and has played well all throughout the year (with the exception of the left side in the 1st Jets game), but they've even been dominant at times as the season has progressed.

Cya

I'll start. I think it's all of them more than just Willis. Moulds not being hurt and Evans starting to make plays is huge. The coaching and philosophy is huge. Reigning in Bledsoe and not making him try to win games for you is huge. Not having Killdrive is huge. The OL improvement is huge. Willis has been great but all of it put together has been the key.

108382[/snapback]

Did Fake Fat Sunny write this poll under a pen name?

Of course the obvious answer is the last one. That said, I will not underestimate the importance of getting Travis off of the football field.

As far as the jest game, I praise Tucker and Kelsay as the players who truly stepped up and kicked ass beyond common expectation.

108469[/snapback]

Come on Bill, you know you voted for McNally and the Oline...

:D

Come on Bill, you know you voted for McNally and the Oline...

:lol:

108473[/snapback]

:(:D

As you know, I will never buy into the "savior" theory, but I am intrigued by the play of Tucker. Perhaps McNally really does deserve at least some credit for this kid to emerge from nowhere and have a great game against a very good DL.

Also, Price looks way better than he did last season, and he is older than I had thought. As it's absolute biggest critic, let me say that I am not unhappy with the way the OL is looking. That said, I will be screaming before the draft to select big, strong, ugly men who can block.

That is the way to win football games.

I'm disappointed that I could only choose one...because I'd rate McGahee's presence in the backfield and the continued improvement of the line about equal..and not so much Drew or the receivers (from whom I see the same old problems, for the most part.) In general, the improvement in blocking over the course of the last 8 games - which encompasses both the line and the backfield - is the biggest reason for improvement.

I'm disappointed that I could only choose one...because I'd rate McGahee's presence in the backfield and the continued improvement of the line about equal..and not so much Drew or the receivers (from whom I see the same old problems, for the most part.)  In general, the improvement in blocking over the course of the last 8 games - which encompasses both the line and the backfield - is the biggest reason for improvement.

108492[/snapback]

Screw you. Go back to PPP.

:P:lol::D:P:lol::(

I agree, but I give Drew a bit more credit than you. He ran yesterday and had touch on some passes. What else can we ask from him?

I'm disappointed that I could only choose one...because I'd rate McGahee's presence in the backfield and the continued improvement of the line about equal..and not so much Drew or the receivers (from whom I see the same old problems, for the most part.)  In general, the improvement in blocking over the course of the last 8 games - which encompasses both the line and the backfield - is the biggest reason for improvement.

108492[/snapback]

I really don't think the injury to Moulds and emergence of Lee Evans can be under-estimated. It makes a huge difference in the offensive line because last year and earlier this year when teams blitzed because we couldnt throw that is where the missed assignments and Drew disasters came from, not from facing regular four man fronts the OL couldn't handle. That is where Drew was forced into so many errors because WRs were not where they were supposed to be or not getting separation or downfield. That is where safeties crept up into the box and stopped Travis or blitzed Drew because we could not get open or downfield.

The last bomb to Evans was a prime example. MM explained that they called that play several times in the game. It was a run, but there is an automatic check off to a fly pattern if the safety comes up into the box. He did because the Jets were looking run (and would have last year because the Bills couldnt throw). Evans and Drew both read it correctly and we sealed the game on that play. Otherwise we punt to a 5 point lead into the wind.

Screw you. Go back to PPP.

:P  :lol:  :D  :P  :lol:  :(

I agree, but I give Drew a bit more credit than you. He ran yesterday and had touch on some passes. What else can we ask from him?

108502[/snapback]

Drew had a good game yesterday, no doubt...but I was saying all season last year that we shouldn't (and I wouldn't) judge Bledsoe in the absence of effective blocking. Now that he has it from the line and backfield...I'm mildly unimpressed. I'm not going to pile on him, but I'm not going out of my way to defend him, either...right now, he looks like an aged QB who's career is winding down.

I really don't think the injury to Moulds and emergence of Lee Evans can be under-estimated. It makes a huge difference in the offensive line because last year and earlier this year when teams blitzed because we couldnt throw that is where the missed assignments and Drew disasters came from, not from facing regular four man fronts the OL couldn't handle. That is where Drew was forced into so many errors because WRs were not where they were supposed to be or not getting separation or downfield. That is where safeties crept up into the box and stopped Travis or blitzed Drew because we could not get open or downfield.

The last bomb to Evans was a prime example. MM explained that they called that play several times in the game. It was a run, but there is an automatic check off to a fly pattern if the safety comes up into the box. He did because the Jets were looking run (and would have last year because the Bills couldnt throw). Evans and Drew both read it correctly and we sealed the game on that play. Otherwise we punt to a 5 point lead into the wind.

108507[/snapback]

True enough...Moulds is playing better than last year, and Evans is relatively effective (though he was driving me nuts yesterday standing around on running plays.) But again, I think the main reason for the WR corps' increased effectiveness isn't the WRs themselves, but that Bledsoe isn't getting killed by blitzers every other down.

And I'd type more...but I'm running a 103 degree fever, and have to go lay down now...

True enough...Moulds is playing better than last year, and Evans is relatively effective (though he was driving me nuts yesterday standing around on running plays.)  But again, I think the main reason for the WR corps' increased effectiveness isn't the WRs themselves, but that Bledsoe isn't getting killed by blitzers every other down.

And I'd type more...but I'm running a 103 degree fever, and have to go lay down now...

108514[/snapback]

Baby. :D

My contention, as stated, is they blitzed Bledsoe all the time BECAUSE Moulds was out and we couldnt throw and beat them and make them pay. And the creeping up and the blitzes caused the brainfarts of the OL because it was a terrible system, ad we often saw Pucillo and Big Mike not blocking any of the blitzers because they couldnt decide which ones to block. And those caused the Bledsoe meltdowns.

I voted for the coaching because they have made the biggest impact IMO.

We basically have the same O-line as last season with the Brown/Villariel subtraction/addition. These same guys couldn't block anything the past couple seasons, and all of a sudden Teague is looking good, Mike Williams is starting to look like the RT we drafted him for. Sure this line has had brain farts during games, penalties, Jennings vs Abraham in last Jets game, ect., but they are getting better. This is McNally folks.

With that, Drew has had more time, and we are starting to see what most people have been saying, that Drew can still be a dangerous QB when given time. I'll go ahead and say this has alot to do with Wyche.

Willis McGahee was an obvious spark, but don't count out Henry for this season, we will definitely have to give him more than 5 carries a game if we plan on making one last attempt to steal a wild card position. I'll go ahead and mention Daimon Shelton here, he has really come on this season.

I've never had a problem with our WR's to begin with. But last season we did miss the big play capability that Price gave us. The more progress Lee Evans makes this season, all of a sudden Moulds will get more single coverages, and Reed will return to the slot where he's most dangerous at.

those are some lengthy options. keep it short and dumbed down. have you learned nothing from the 2004 presidential race? look at the short simple options they had:

bush

kerry (sometimes pronounced not-bush)

nader

badnarik (3 syllables is too complicated for most voters)

the average voter doesn't have the attention span to, hey look a dog with a poofy tail, heheh

:D what was i talking about? i don't remember. so who gets voted off survivor this week?

those are some lengthy options.  keep it short and dumbed down. have you learned nothing from the 2004 presidential race? look at the short simple options they had:

bush

kerry (sometimes pronounced not-bush)

nader

badnarik (3 syllables is too complicated for most voters)

the average voter doesn't have the attention span to, hey look a dog with a poofy tail, heheh

:D what was i talking about?  i don't remember.  so who gets voted off survivor this week?

108557[/snapback]

I've learned to keep you away from the bottle of MD20/20, but apparently you haven't. :w00t:

108492[/snapback]

Quit acting like Darin and choose. Damn, these are your choices, you can't write in Ken Crippen for this one as-s-hole.