Harvard Scholar Arrested for Being Black

The cop needs to be pissed on. It was a stupid judgement call (to pull the arrest "trigger" on that kind of disorderly conduct) that could have been easily diffused another way and spare us this stupid discussion of race baiting (Gates) and bad police work (Crowley).

A disorderly conduct charge? :wallbash::lol: Gates must have really hurt Crowley's pride. ??

Dude... Call it baiting, the cop FELL for the bait. That IMO is pretty stupid.

No?

You know what? If you yell at a cop and call him a racist and shout to others to try to embarrass the cop, you should get arrested. Probably not charged (Which he wasn't) but yes to arrested. Why? Because on general principle, you're being a jerkoff to a person who's just trying to do his job...but can also arrest you.

BTW, when you're a !@#$head to a waiter and the waiter hocks a lougie in your food, it's also justified.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? If you yell at a cop and call him a racist and shout to others to try to embarrass the cop, you should get arrested. Probably not charged (Which he wasn't) but yes to arrested. Why? Because on general principle, you're being a jerkoff to a person who's just trying to do his job...but can also arrest you.

BTW, when you're a !@#$head to a waiter and the waiter hocks a lougie in your food, it's also justified.

Well put, I totally agree. I learned a long time ago to be kind to your server, because like it or not ( much like the police) (s)he has control of the food you're ordering. I don't get how some people don't comprehend this. See the movie "Waiting" as an example of this.

And BTW, why can't Obama just show on ounce of humility and admit he erred in his statement and should not have commented because he didn't have all the facts? Why the lawyerly 'miscalibrated' statement? What an egomaniac.

And BTW, why can't Obama just show on ounce of humility and admit he erred in his statement and should not have commented because he didn't have all the facts? Why the lawyerly 'miscalibrated' statement? What an egomaniac.

He's a politician and is afraid to look human. They are what we think they are.

It's a tired game, much like this thread.

Also, I want to know why the charge was dropped? Ain't that special... Who would have figured! At least follow up with the charge. If that isn't an idle threat in the purist form. :wallbash:

As I understood it, that came down from the Cambridge mayor (or perhaps, sufficient pressure to do so came from the mayor), who runs in the same circles as / is friends with Gates.

Probably the right call. Not sure if Crowley has been asked about the charge being dropped, but his intent in the arrest was to prevent an escalating scene (initiated by Gates, as it was he who followed the officers outside and continued screaming) from escalating even further.

Gee, I must have missed those 100 times when all I've been reading lately is you and your need to piss on the cop for being a liar when virtually everyone EXCEPT you, Gates and Obama swear what he did wasn't racial.

It's pretty clear the arrest was wrong. We get it. But racial? Get over it. There are plenty of racists out there without having to create one for the sake of making a point.

Just for context.

Doing a trans-Pacific flight to the East Coast is easily close to 24 hours door to door with a connection. I have done similar trips 10-12 times. Whoever does that trip is not clear-headed. Most people are relieved to get home. But now add more stress......he's a suspect in a crime.

This wasn't going to be the Gates finest moment from the get go. (I can't imagine getting hauled in for 4 hours after making that trip). I don't think he was trying to get arrested, but a person after that trip is not reasonable, completely lucid, or friendly. Most drunks are usually in better moods.

Without throwing race in the mix at all, I don't think the police were in a situation where they were going to get the most cooperative response.

Just for context.

Doing a trans-Pacific flight to the East Coast is easily close to 24 hours door to door with a connection. I have done similar trips 10-12 times. Whoever does that trip is not clear-headed. Most people are relieved to get home. But now add more stress......he's a suspect in a crime.

This wasn't going to be the Gates finest moment from the get go. (I can't imagine getting hauled in for 4 hours after making that trip). I don't think he was trying to get arrested, but a person after that trip is not reasonable, completely lucid, or friendly. Most drunks are usually in better moods.

Without throwing race in the mix at all, I don't think the police were in a situation where they were going to get the most cooperative response.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You really are an idiot. As a former member of miltary police, I woulda pepper sprayed his ass. It's all about being civil. All he had to do was produce some ID and be done with it.

Sorry for the mistake sir...ok no problem, thank you for looking out for my home officer.

People usually get what they deserve.

Ya, the pepper spray would have really helped? And I am the idiot. Yet really swede316, you actually got onto someting (blue). No matter what verbal abuse is thrown at the officer, maybe THE OFFICER could have put a twist on what you said in blue. Afterall, it was the officer looking out after his house and that should have been the first thing out of anyone's mouth... The OFFICER saying that to gates in no uncertain terms:

"Fine you don't want me looking out after your house, I am outta here... And don't be wondering where we are when something legit may be going down. Remember the boy who cried wolf?"

Ya... But the pepper spray would have really helped with reagard to verbal abuse from afar... Again, I may not be that bright ex-MP... But that is even more stupid than what Crowley did. Do you know even a few of the facts of the incident? I may not know them all myself. You have a winner of a plan there. That will teach that civilian for getting all obnoxious with a cop!

The officer SERVES the CIVILIAN first and foremost... Not the other way around.

:unsure::wallbash:

I see we have the deep thinkers today. For them I say: "Suck it up!" "People are dickheads no matter what they do for a living or who they interact with."

Emabarrass? :lol: If this is true, then it proves even more that Crowley did what he did out of peer pressure. We really are rasing dolts in this country.

Again, some people love to push buttons no matter what the consequences are. Crowley lowered himself to Gates' level... You know what? Crowley is equally as muddy now. Not how one wants to be when they are supposely the rattional one. Look at all the crap that is coming out. Now it is being shown that Crolwey is lieing... Maybe that is harsh, embellishing... :w00t::thumbdown:

Well put, I totally agree. I learned a long time ago to be kind to your server, because like it or not ( much like the police) (s)he has control of the food you're ordering. I don't get how some people don't comprehend this. See the movie "Waiting" as an example of this.

That is true... I try to be kind to everybody that serves me. Take that for what it is worth and believe as much as you want to. Even more so I am also kinder to people who I am serving that aren't as nice to me. Yet, I will still speak frankly (which IMO I am doing in this thread)... And I am not hestitant to protect my family and myself no matter what. Don't confuse talking frankly with being unkind.

With that... WTF are people so paranoid about? There is nothing one is going to do that will ensure that the service you get is what you want. They may hock a lougie in your food because they got pissed off at their spouse and kicked the cat in the morning. Who really cares? You are powerless in that regard. Like what you and JA say is supposed to put some societal pressure on people to behave? :unsure::wallbash: I may not live and work 100% in the real world, but it is a lot more real than most that post on this board do. Big freakin' deal. Get over yourself America and start serving people the way they should no matter what is thrown at you!

I see we have the deep thinkers today. For them I say: "Suck it up!" "People are dickheads no matter what they do for a living or who they interact with."

Emabarrass? :lol: If this is true, then it proves even more that Crowley did what he did out of peer pressure. We really are rasing dolts in this country.

Again, some people love to push buttons no matter what the consequences are. Crowley lowered himself to Gates' level... You know what? Crowley is equally as muddy now. Not how one wants to be when they are supposely the rattional one. Look at all the crap that is coming out. Now it is being shown that Crolwey is lieing... Maybe that is harsh, embellishing... :w00t::thumbdown:

You're a douche. QED.

Please yell at the next cop who shows up at your house for any reason and then start shouting at your neighbors too. I hope I'm on your jury because you'll be guilty of not only disorderly conduct and the like, but also being a dickhead.

Don't you think police have a few more things to deal with in a given day than some guy shouting at them when they are trying to do their job? Can you picture a world where everyone was allowed to scream at the police without repurcussions? Didn't think so. Because such a world doesn't work.

Gates was treated the way he should be. An arrest to shut his dumb piehole and charges dropped.

You're a douche. QED.

Please yell at the next cop who shows up at your house for any reason and then start shouting at your neighbors too. I hope I'm on your jury because you'll be guilty of not only disorderly conduct and the like, but also being a dickhead.

Don't you think police have a few more things to deal with in a given day than some guy shouting at them when they are trying to do their job? Can you picture a world where everyone was allowed to scream at the police without repurcussions? Didn't think so. Because such a world doesn't work.

Gates was treated the way he should be. An arrest to shut his dumb piehole and charges dropped.

Get over yourself.

Like it really shut him and OTHERS up. :w00t: Ya, for the moment he was in the officer's playground. Maybe a lot less stupid police work means a lot more respect that is EARNED and now for the good part: FEWER SCUMBAG LAWYERS. There in is where the system's problems are. Parasites feeding off of parasites. The DC charge then dropped represents nothing but and idl threat to all others that will surely push a cop's buttons. Maybe I am too hard on the cop. The chief of police should be taking the mayor to task if the arrest was warranted.

I guess I am a douche. That is a sincere use of flatterly coming from you JA. Speaking frankly and opening is what this world needs a little more of not just rushing to the sense of entitlement that an officer can't make a stupildy bad judgement call. Notice I said JUDGEMENT CALL, that is what disorderly conduct is in this case.

:thumbdown:

You really are an idiot. As a former member of miltary police, I woulda pepper sprayed his ass. It's all about being civil. All he had to do was produce some ID and be done with it.

Sorry for the mistake sir...ok no problem, thank you for looking out for my home officer.

People usually get what they deserve.

It sounds like both could have started out the exchange better- neither is the good guy in this case

I remember what my grandfather (died 31 years ago) used to say and he is probably rolling over in his grave:

"People don't have any common sense."

Gates first and foremost... But, even worse for Crowley falling for and letting such stupid crap bother him.

Adam you are right. Yet, you see what people here are saying. Pepper spray? :unsure::wallbash: What the phuck is wrong with society? It is becoming empowerment hungry and for the most part I pretty much understand why... That is for a later topic. :w00t:

WHAT?! How about common sense?! Did you listen to the call?

Do you honestly think there is any realistic chance whatsoever the woman saw the backs of two people go into a house, called 911 because a neighbor told her to, tell the 911 dispatcher she DIDNT see these two guys clearly but she saw their luggage, and when asked "Are they white, black, or Hispanic?" straight out, she said "Umm, well there were two larger men, one looked kind of Hispanic, but I’m not really sure." -- AND THEN -- five minutes later -- say "Two black guys with backpacks" to the cop?

Do you think there is a one in a thousand chance that is what happened? Not to mention that the call precisely matches her own statement later on?

I think pushpile summed it up really well, but on a side note, the most telling part of that whole 911 call is that the officer stated that Gates was uncooperative and that he called for backup.

I remember what my grandfather (died 31 years ago) used to say and he is probably rolling over in his grave:

"People don't have any common sense."

Gates first and foremost... But, even worse for Crowley falling for and letting such stupid crap bother him.

Adam you are right. Yet, you see what people here are saying. Pepper spray? :wallbash::lol: What the phuck is wrong with society? It is becoming empowerment hungry and for the most part I pretty much understand why... That is for a later topic. :D

Hey..I coulda said I'd Rodney King his azz :lol: That was to show you how easily "people" are baited...Like I baited you!!!