Harvard Scholar Arrested for Being Black

Either that or Crowley was just as bad if not worse. He obviously lied in the police report. The policeman is less likely to be believed now that this came out, not more likely.

I don't believe that is how it is going to play out Dog. We will find out more, but up to now, it is definitely looking like Gates was the instigator here. Did you read some of the comments on that page? Definitely can see what people think about the case there.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gates is appearing to be a race baitor to more people now, as the facts are slowly coming out.

I don't know. Based on that news, the opposite might be true. The officer says he talked to Whalen who said the people breaking in were black. Whalen says she said no such thing. Who knows?

I am 100% sure that I don't care about this specific situation. Sometimes police lie. Sometimes people play the persecuted card.

I don't believe that is how it is going to play out Dog. We will find out more, but up to now, it is definitely looking like Gates was the instigator here. Did you read some of the comments on that page? Definitely can see what people think about the case there.

That's because I assume it is the Boston paper. If you read the comments from a Fox site, I suspect you would see the same. If you look at the comments from a Huffington post or left leaning site, you will likely see them all over the cop.

Crowley added race to the alleged break-in to his police report, not the witness and not Gates. Either he did it on purpose to make himself look better or it was terrible police work to forget what he was told about the alleged crime that happened maybe 15 minutes earlier.

I don't know. Based on that news, the opposite might be true. The officer says he talked to Whalen who said the people breaking in were black. Whalen says she said no such thing. Who knows?

I am 100% sure that I don't care about this specific situation. Sometimes police lie. Sometimes people play the persecuted card.

You do know, and know for sure, because she had no idea they were black. You can hear it on the 911 call which was just a few minutes before Crowley got there and questioned her. And she came out over the weekend and repeated the exact same thing. Plus Crowley says in his report that he was told they had backpacks on. That's wrong, too, because the witness told the 911 operator they clearly had suitcases and nothing about backpacks.

That's because I assume it is the Boston paper. If you read the comments from a Fox site, I suspect you would see the same. If you look at the comments from a Huffington post or left leaning site, you will likely see them all over the cop.

Crowley added race to the alleged break-in to his police report, not the witness and not Gates. Either he did it on purpose to make himself look better or it was terrible police work to forget what he was told about the alleged crime that happened maybe 15 minutes earlier.

Are you implying that most people who read the Boston paper are conservatives?

Are you implying that most people who read the Boston paper are conservatives?

No, white. :blush: I've spent a lot of time in Boston. It's still very prejudiced compared to a lot of cities.

There are 300-400 responses, too, and there are all kinds of feelings from both sides in them.

I wonder when everyone's going to turn on the person who called 911 in the first place.

Ya, bingo! Didn't she know her freakin' neighbor? My God, I think I could tell who my neighbors are. :lol::blush: Let alone the neighbors on both sides of me have a key to my place and I tell them when I am leaving and when I will be back. People do not want to be beholden to anyone out of courtesy, their own protection, or whatever.

Now... If you were Gates... Why not first call the police and tell them that you are at your residence and that you will be getting in forcibly... Christ, I come home from working afternoons (1600-2400) and if I leave my gargage door open accidently, the police dispacther is calling me! :w00t: (happened once... 0:) ) Which leads me to another thing... Gates too cheap to get a locksmith? On a Harvard salary... Probably cheaper than doing any damage to the door or whatever.

I find this (this story) more of an indictment of how people get along with their neighbors nowadays. Just goes to show you are lazy people are... And I mean everybody innvolved, Gates, the cop, and Obama. There are so many ways to handle life more productively than this (situation) kind of silly phuck-up.

Many white males have been passed up for jobs, promotions, school admission, etc. due to simply being a white male, but I do agree with the premise of what you are saying. On a day to day basis, white males don't face the same kind of thing. When a black cop in plain clothes gets on an elevator, many women will clutch their purse. This has happened to many friends of mine.

I truly believe this particular incident was less about race and more about social status and a sense of entitlement on the part of the prof. than it was about the cop being a racist.

You know what I was told by EEO at my work (roughly parphased... I have the whole thing on my work computer):

"Intent vs. Impact: The impact may be disparte if the intent is there promoting a disadvantaged group."

Also went on to say what I said above in this thread:

"Equality is related to fairness. Fairness is a personal thing and and be preceived differently."

You know how I read it as an abled bodied white guy:

"Get phucked, it is called affrimative action (race, gender, diability, age) for a reason. Suck it up able bodied white guy."

The above was in response to people of the same job classification supposedly doing the same job. Some of these workers are physically disabled and can't do everything the non-disabled worker is expected. The non-disabled person then picks up the slack for the disabled person. I am not talking straight office/white collar job here... I am talking blue collar trades. Why should they be given a pass up the ladder when they can't even physically perform at the lower level? Even though at the higher level there is less physical attributes needed. The only thing in the trades that can happen when these promotion systems finally play out is when a supervisor delegates somebody to do something and that supervisor can't physically do it is to say: "Show me how it is done." :blush:

You know what I say:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Suck it up white guy (of course I am one of them).

This really sucks in my line of work in the government because the boomer worker force is aging and most can't do the WHOLE job anymore... Yet there are slew of protections in place.

I am not whining just ranting and plan to kick myself out on my own terms at 55... :w00t:

/rant

Gates is appearing to be a race baitor to more people now, as the facts are slowly coming out.

True. What does that say about the cop? One shouldn't fall for the bait. That is why I hold Crowley under the microscope. Maybe he will learn his lesson and not fall for that crap next time. That is why it is a bad judgment call on behalf of the police... And I can cut him some slack if this was the first time it happened.

You just can't have the cops falling for this bait... Plain and simple! I would be kicking myself in the ass if I fell for this as a cop. Yes, I am not a cop. Yet, I do deal with a lot of people (in all different types of state of minds from the irrational sober person to the irrational drunk boater blitzed out of their mind) all the time and have to act like a traffic cop without many enforcement tools at my disposal. And there has been only ONE time in almost 20 years and 100,000 of water craft that I physically had to call the Coast Guard to enforce/back me up. Amazing! All the other times I got people to do what I wanted them to do...

Now others I work may not have been so lucky... Here is a story where the cops actually did the baiting because of who they were or what they do for a living. Like the time the off-duty CHPD officers came through on a personal boat sh*t faced and proceeded to try and lock along side a commercial vessel with hazardous cargo (jet fuel)... They were off-duty cops enjoying thier day off, they weren't going to be told they can't lock through and have to wait with everybody else... They had their weapons out and everything... They simmered down when one of the lock operators advised him what would happen if a round went astray and caused a spark with the loads of jet fuel. Three hours later, the USCG and their superior from the department finally got them out and traffic flow was restored. Think they got charged with disorderly conduct? :blush::w00t:

Anyway you slice it, it is a sense of entitlement by some... And just don't think that it happens with regard to race. Gates worked it both ways.

Curious......the caller never mentioned race beyond that one might be hispanic and might live there.

Crowley wrote in his report that Whiten reported two black males with backpacks.

Which was obvious BS to begin with, since Crowley talks to the dispatcher, not the caller.

Which was obvious BS to begin with, since Crowley talks to the dispatcher, not the caller.

Well, not really. They told the caller to wait for the cop (Crowley). He arrived a few minutes later and spoke to her on the sidewalk before going up to the door. In his report, he said that she told him specifically that it was two black men with backpacks, which she never told him.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years...3092gates1.html

Well, not really. They told the caller to wait for the cop (Crowley). He arrived a few minutes later and spoke to her on the sidewalk before going up to the door. In his report, he said that she told him specifically that it was two black men with backpacks, which she never told him.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years...3092gates1.html

Oh, I thought they were referring to the 911 call.

In other words...it's her word against his. So we're going to believe her...just because. Right?

In other words...it's her word against his. So we're going to believe her...just because. Right?

Witness to dispatch ..................................... Hispanic - Suitcases

Crowley's report of witness..............................Black - Backpacks

Gates Story. ...................................................Black - Suitcases

Now what does it all mean? :rolleyes:

No, we're going to believe her because they released the entire 911 call she made about five minutes earlier than that and I listened to it, and linked it in this thread. In it she says specifically that she doesn't know what race they were because she didn't get a good look at them, but thought one of them may be Hispanic. She didnt see the other at all (just his back). And she said they had suitcases (which was true) and they may have lived there, she didn't know, she didnt at all know it was a break-in. But Crowley's report said that she told him "two black men wearing backpacks" went into the house.

So unless from the time she made the 911 call to five minutes later, the two guys she didnt see ran out of the house, showed that they were black, put on backpacks, and then went right back in again, we know she didn't tell Crowley they were black with backpacks because she never saw their faces. She wasn't even all that close to the house.

Then, over the weekend, both her and her lawyer repeated the exact same thing, that she never saw them, never told 911 or the cop that they were black.

That makes sense. Crowley's report is what doesn't make any sense.

After all this, wouldn't it (walk away) just have been a better judgement call then hand down a disorderly conduct charge... That charge is only a misdemeanor anyway instead of opening up a can of worms because of a stupid pissing match that the cop thought he was losing.

It was very stupid. Wait, somebody already said that. I wonder who?

Gates was the irrational party and Crowley was and should have remained the rational party and made a rational choice in not arresting Gates. On a disorderly conduct charge of this nature, he should have just walked away. IMO He was dragged into Gates's irrationality.

You got to know when to hold them

Try telling a cop this. "They" (as in personally) are the LAW! :rolleyes::wallbash: By saying that, it doesn't say I disrespect the law

Witness to dispatch ..................................... Hispanic - Suitcases

Crowley's report of witness..............................Black - Backpacks

Gates Story. ...................................................Black - Suitcases

Now what does it all mean? :rolleyes:

Not beingq a humanq myself, it is hardp to follown your storiesn sometimesm. Do youz haven a rule that blackw peoplen are not allowedi to haven suitcasesp? Is thatn why thisp cop is a racistz?

Whyz doesn the suitcasesp or backpackw mattern?

They also released the tape of Crowley calling in Gates ID. Gates can be heard yelling in the background.

Crowley followed his job to the letter. Gates is a douchebag. End of story.

After all this, wouldn't it (walk away) just have been a better judgement call then hand down a disorderly conduct charge... That charge is only a misdemeanor anyway instead of opening up a can of worms because of a stupid pissing match that the cop thought he was losing.

It was very stupid. Wait, somebody already said that. I wonder who?

Gates was the irrational party and Crowley was and should have remained the rational party and made a rational choice in not arresting Gates. On a disorderly conduct charge of this nature, he should have just walked away. IMO He was dragged into Gates's irrationality.

You got to know when to hold them

Try telling a cop this. "They" (as in personally) are the LAW! :rolleyes::wallbash: By saying that, it doesn't say I disrespect the law

So the loudern someoneb yellsp at youz, the quickern you letm them go?