Harvard Scholar Arrested for Being Black

As usual, in these situations, you are holding the person with the least power, the highest level of responsibility. So what if he could have avoided this? He didn't. Still doesn't mean he should be arrested.

Least power? Watching you fumble around this thread, trying to prove racism is proof that cops are powerless. It's a no win situation for the good guys (and yes we know that they aren't all good). It must be nice to sit back and assume that Boston is full of racist cops. Nothing like fighting ignorance and stereoytypes with ignorance and stereotypes. :thumbsup:

As usual the race card wins! It is the undefeated undisputed champion of votes and strong arming.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Least power? Watching you fumble around this thread, trying to prove racism is proof that cops are powerless. It's a no win situation for the good guys (and yes we know that they aren't all good). It must be nice to sit back and assume that Boston is full of racist cops. Nothing like fighting ignorance and stereoytypes with ignorance and stereotypes. :thumbsup:

As usual the race card wins! It is the undefeated undisputed champion of votes and strong arming.

That comment was made irrespective of the racism. Let's pretend the officer's account is completely the way it happened (I doubt it, but let's put that aside). So we assume racism was not a factor here, for the moment. The cops were still wrong to arrest Gates. The police have more of a responsibility to make sure this thing doesn't escalate than Gates. I see nothing in the police report that convinces me the officer went out of his way to calm down Mr. Gates. And, in the end, Gates was pissed off and calling the cop a racist, on his own porch. So? Still no reason to arrest him. The police acted stupidly in this case.

Now, back to the race issue. Let's stop acting as if there is no reason for a black man to suspect racism from a cop questioning him in his own home, in the Boston area. Ignoring that constitute ignorance of the highest order, IMO.

Were the cops racist? Probably not in their own eyes. But I contend they wouldn't have arrested a white guy cussing them out, if he was on his own porch and constituted no threat.

That comment was made irrespective of the racism. Let's pretend the officer's account is completely the way it happened (I doubt it, but let's put that aside). So we assume racism was not a factor here, for the moment. The cops were still wrong to arrest Gates. The police have more of a responsibility to make sure this thing doesn't escalate than Gates. I see nothing in the police report that convinces me the officer went out of his way to calm down Mr. Gates. And, in the end, Gates was pissed off and calling the cop a racist, on his own porch. So? Still no reason to arrest him. The police acted stupidly in this case.

Now, back to the race issue. Let's stop acting as if there is no reason for a black man to suspect racism from a cop questioning him in his own home, in the Boston area. Ignoring that constitute ignorance of the highest order, IMO.

Were the cops racist? Probably not in their own eyes. But I contend they wouldn't have arrested a white guy cussing them out, if he was on his own porch and constituted no threat.

That is as ignorant as saying, let's stop acting like there is no reason for a white cop to suspect a black man wandering around a Boston hood at 2 AM is up to no good. Follow the logic? How about we don't assume anything? The cops made a questionable arrest. This should be the only debate for outsiders like us.

Exactly. And cops in the Boston have a pretty poor history with innocent Black suspects.

I haven't read the whole thread - but cops in Boston have a pretty poor history, PERIOD... Remember the ATHF "bombs" around the city? Remember the girl who was wearing a breadboard in the airport (not even at a security checkpoint), who they later said was lucky to not have been shot and killed?

The only difference is that those cases involved white people.

Obama was asked about this during his press conference last night, and after admitting he didn't know all the facts, went on to say the Cambridge police force is stupid.

Cuz that's how we reach across the aisle in Obamaland. We call cops stupid before we know what really happened, and if you read the police report, it's pretty clear at this point the only person who was stupid was the guy at the podium last night who, with a law degree, should have simply said he didn't have the facts and, if necessary, would respond later when he did.

But no. Cambridge cops are stupid.

Next question for the lawyer, please.

The police were stupid, one could understand why the Harvard professor could have gotten angry, but the police officer, once the professor's identity was established, was an arrogant prick too and should have let it go. Racists? Hard to say, but I have had a two police officers who didn't want to be talked back to or questioned harass me on Capitol Hill, asked for my ID rudely, once when I questioned a bus pulling up to our building and once when I was taking photos with my ID out and with permission, I had to stop till later. But both were flat out rude and I complained.

I reported their asses and got them removed from their posts for some retraining. These jerks were placed on inside duty with a supervisor for six months, so don't tell me some officers don't have a clue. I have also dealt with officers in other circumstances where I was in the wrong that couldn't have been more polite and yet still firm.

Everyone is human and on top of which the culture towards blacks among the working class in Boston is at best tolerant. I don't know this officer and he puts on a good show in front of the camera, but he over reached in arresting the professor for racial reasons or otherwise IMO and police temperament should be considered and this guy owes the professor an apology, but he doesn't appear to get it and that is where I think he is unfit for his position.

This officer's job is too "serve and protect" He did the "protection" side of his job and once it was established that there was no crime he needed to do first part of his job and that is to "serve"

This is my two cents

My house got broken into a mere two weeks ago. Ransacked...lost A LOT of stuff, some of it irreplacable. The word from the police was that "three black girls" were witnessed in the neighborrhodd, going through backyards and around houses in a strange fashion. A neighbor of mine came forward that yes...he saw three black girls speeding from my house around the time of the break-in.

I spend the next few days questioning myself as I told everyone I knew about the description of these people. Three black girls...silver car. "Was I being 'racist' bringing up their skin color when I passed this info to people? Why should it matter? What does it REALLY have to do with ANYTHING? Really pondered this for a long time. But resolved it with myself becuase I felt that ANY descirption I can provide to friends, neighbors and family......hair, car and yes....SKIN COLOR...might help catch these people.

Fast forward two weeks later, just this past Tuesday. Got a frantic call from a co-worker. Her house was robbed. Her first question....."Rich...didnt you say three black girls might have done this to you? Thats who they caught doing MY break in!!!"

Called my detective again yesterday to pass along this info with the possible link. These three nice girls will probably now be nabbed for both crimes, along with about five others in our area.

So I guess now....according to MANY.....including the President, doing our due diligence to pass along info about who we see doing what in our neighborhoods can now be considered "racist" if it happens to involve someone of color. Ya know what? So be it. Call me a !@#$ing racist. Id rather report what I see, WHO I see doing it and keep an eye out for me and my neighbors. If its all a mistake, it will be sorted out later.

Effing STUPID, if you ask me. You provide a description of someone doing strange behavior and thats "racist?"

What has this got anything to do with arresting a man trying to get into his own home and then producing ID that says he lives there? Nothing. As far as I am concerned the Police were trespassing, once the guy proved that it was his property, because he certainly didn't invite them on it and his neighbor doesn't have the right to authorize them to come onto his property.

That's very true. As much as I want to call the professor an idiot for picking a fight with a cop, it keeps boiling down to "because in my experience, if you're polite and cooperative, police return the consideration." But I've never been racially profiled or discriminated against by the law.

So while it may have been a stupid thing to do, it may also be excusable. That is, while I don't condone the man's actions, I can certainly understand that they may have seemed reasonable to him.

And I consider it kind-of sad that I've expressed myself on this subject better than Obama did.

What he said.

I brought is up to illustrate that this garbage that we have to ignore one's identity becuase we dont want to be accused of "profilig" is poppycock.

The police asked for ID and gave the cops the runaround before finally providing it. Then when he did provide it, he continued to act belligerent.

The cops werent "trespassing." They knocked on the guys door...asked for ID, when they FINALLY got it, they were satisfied. It was ONLY when "poor oppressed Mr. Gates" acted like a damned fool was this situation escalated.

I guess youre another clown that thinks the 1st Amendment gives you the right to act like an !@#$.

Actually it does, but I was never an a hole directly to the police and wasn't arrested because I was polite. I got my revenge later after going up the chain of command.

I agree being an a-hole was the professor's mistake, still it doesn't justify the arrest and that is why the police were stupid. Racial profiling, who knows and there are two sides to what may have set this professor off. It could have been he was arrogant from the get go and or the police officer could have said something- who knows what was said initially and I am sure the professor was already pissed that had to break into his own home, but it still doesn't justify the arrest. Finally, it sounds like both sides escalated to the point of trying figure out who had the bigger rope between their legs. In this case, neither side wins, but maybe more police training will come out of it.

Or are we no better than the commies run by the KGB?

I brought is up to illustrate that this garbage that we have to ignore one's identity becuase we dont want to be accused of "profilig" is poppycock.

The police asked for ID and gave the cops the runaround before finally providing it. Then when he did provide it, he continued to act belligerent.

The cops werent "trespassing." They knocked on the guys door...asked for ID, when they FINALLY got it, they were satisfied. It was ONLY when "poor oppressed Mr. Gates" acted like a damned fool was this situation escalated.

Apparently this wasn't enough for Crowley.

For the millionth time-He wasn't "mouthing off" or "swearing" or "acting belligerent" or any of the other things that are floating around in the imaginations of the angry middle-aged white man brigade.

He said ‘I’m here to investigate a 911 call for breaking and entering into this house.’ And I said ‘That’s ridiculous because this happens to be my house. And I’m a Harvard professor.’ He says ‘Can you prove that you’re a Harvard professor?’ I said yes, I turned and closed the front door to the kitchen where I’d left my wallet, and I got out my Harvard ID and my Massachusetts driver’s license which includes my address and I handed them to him. And he’s sitting there looking at them.

The police report says I was engaged in loud and tumultuous behavior. That’s a joke. Because I have a severe bronchial infection which I contracted in China and for which I was treated and have a doctor’s report from the Peninsula hotel in Beijing. So I couldn’t have yelled. I can’t yell even today, I’m not fully cured.

It escalated as follows: I kept saying to him, ‘What is your name, and what is your badge number?’ and he refused to respond. I asked him three times, and he refused to respond. And then I said, ‘You’re not responding because I’m a black man, and you’re a white officer.’ That’s what I said. He didn’t say anything. He turned his back to me and turned back to the porch. And I followed him. I kept saying, “I want your name, and I want your badge number.”

It looked like an ocean of police had gathered on my front porch. There were probably half a dozen police officers at this point. The mistake I made was I stepped onto the front porch and asked one of his colleagues for his name and badge number. And when I did, the same officer said, ‘Thank you for accommodating our request. You are under arrest.’ And he handcuffed me right there. It was outrageous. My hands were behind my back I said, ‘I’m handicapped. I walk with a cane. I can’t walk to the squad car like this.’ There was a huddle among the officers; there was a black man among them. They removed the cuffs from the back and put them around the front.

For the millionth time-He wasn't "mouthing off" or "swearing" or "acting belligerent" or any of the other things that are floating around in the imaginations of the angry middle-aged white man brigade.

Where's the part about "yo momma?"

Like I said, the police don't like to be questioned, that fact that this man was black couldn't have helped and now we are getting the he said she said stuff and it sounds like the police are trying to over embellish to justify their actions, which if what they say is true still doesn't justify their actions IMO. So... the police were in fact stupid.

Yes I am.

Go ahead and defend the douchebaggery.

I repeat-Are you really that gullible? If you listened to Gates for two seconds you'd realize that he makes Urkel look like Tracey Morgan and the suggestion that he was shuckin' and jivin' like Kingfish around his house screaming "Yo Momma" while he had a bronchial infection is laughable.

By the way, did you even read the link you just provided?

The Crime

Gates was charged with violating Chapter 272, Section 53 of Massachusetts' state code, which reads in full:

Common night walkers, common street walkers, both male and female, common railers and brawlers, persons who with offensive and disorderly acts or language accost or annoy persons of the opposite sex, lewd, wanton and lascivious persons in speech or behavior, idle and disorderly persons, disturbers of the peace, keepers of noisy and disorderly houses, and persons guilty of indecent exposure may be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than six months, or by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Gates is clearly not a street walker, railer, or brawler. His language may have "accosted or annoyed" someone of the opposite sex—the only female whose presence at the scene was documented is Lucia Whalen, but we don't know how annoyed she was by Gates' comments. Gates was clearly not "idle," though he could be potentially be classified as "disorderly" or "disturbing the peace." The latter charge is dependent on Gates' being outside his house—presuming that his yelling wasn't audible on the street when he was inside—which would have been the case had Crowley not refused to fully identify himself to Gates unless Gates followed him outside. Whether one can be a "disorderly person" in one's own home isn't clear. But we suspect that if one could, then Crowley would simply have arrested Gates in his home. There's no evidence from Crowley's report that Gates' behavior escalated after they exited the house. In fact, the most offensive-sounding statement from Gates in Crowley's report—"ya, I'll speak with your mama outside"—was uttered while they were still in Gates' home. The emphasis on the bystanders in Crowley's report and the fact that Gates' "tumultuous behavior" was taking place "in view of the public" implies that, in Crowley's mind, Gates' behavior was legal inside his home and criminal on his porch. In which case Crowley's apparent insistence that he would only fully identify himself to Gates outside his house, because the "acoustics" were bad, sounds more and more like a trap to us.

I repeat-Are you really that gullible? If you listened to Gates for two seconds you'd realize that he makes Urkel look like Tracey Morgan and the suggestion that he was shuckin' and jivin' like Kingfish around his house screaming "Yo Momma" while he had a bronchial infection is laughable.

By the way, did you even read the link you just provided?

I'm the gullible one, yet you put your defense entirely on Gates' words?

Keep demonizing the cops, while the lilly white neighbor calls the police because there are two black men on a porch in Cambridge. Good thing you have your racial profiling on the right track.

Sure there is still some prejudice, but not like it was 30 years ago, but some people are just down right stupid.

If this guy had cooperated with the cops none of this B S would have happened.

I think it is pretty easy to say that when you aren't suspected of a crime.

Anecdotal of course- but a friend of mine one summer who worked in Harvard Sq. was once detained for stealing his own bicycle by the Cambridge police. Even though I think ultimately the police believed him and he was let go, he was told he could have his bicycle back when he could prove it was his. Did his race have something to do with it? I think so. So did his residence. He was staying in Somerville. Strike two.

He didn't have a receipt for the bicycle either (who does?)...... his girlfriend went to the station to to get it back a few days later. They gave it to her for just describing it. She wasn't black.

I don't think this story is too unusual.

The Boston area was probably the most racially strapped place I ever lived.

I would be surprised if things have changed much since the 90's.