Harvard Scholar Arrested for Being Black

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No dude, if Newt yelled at that cop, and said "you are discriminating against me because I'm a republican" and "do you know who I am?" and then continued to ignore the cop for doing his job, then followed him outside and was beligerent and continued to spout out bull sh-- like "I'll talk to your momma", I would of laughed my asss off and said what a frickin douche bag, good for the cop that arrested his asss, and it would of been funny. But since this douchebag Gates played the race card, everything is much more sensitive and now this guy, the police officer has to unnecessarily defend himself from people like you, Dean and others.

His name, Crawford or whatever it is, will forever be tarnished by some because of this douchebags actions.

It was a groundless arrest.

The guy was yelling...sure....but to argue he was yelling for no legitimate purpose like a vagrant was STUPID.....

His purpose in yelling was to complain to HIM...

That isn't a crime. That's protected speech.

You might wish it were a crime.....but it was a STUPID arrest nonetheless, and had to be dropped.

The policeman returns to the porch to arrest a guy yelling. Nice work. :devil:

More lies. That is not ALL I said. Maybe you need to go back, and re-read.

I've read what you have said. You have offered no credible evidence about the racism of the police officers. Yet it's ok for you to assume that they are racist?

I've read what you have said.

But so far you haven't proven you understand it. Construct my argument in a way that convinces me you have read and understand it, and we will continue. Otherwise, it's back to school for you!

I understand some of your amusement. However, this isn't about being nice or having a civilized conversation IMO.

I'd think it was awesome if it happened to Newt.

As would I. At the same time I would defend his right to do so.

I don't have any indignation. I expect people who mouth off to cops to get taken in. Is it right? No. Is it pretty standard? In my experience it is. Good luck changing that and keeping

Treating people disrespectfully should be your right? You think this is a good solution? :devil:

The right is to act as you please on your own land. You yourself admit it isn't right to be taken in for mouthing off. I guess being arrested whenever the cop feels like it is something we should just live with. I expected better from you.

You're way off base here. There were plenty of avenues for the good professor to voice his displeasure that would have been far more productive without him ending up humiliated. He chose to basically dive into the dumpster instead of taking the high road. I think it's really sad that educator couldn't control himself well enough to "teach" this officer what he thought was so wrong instead of escalating the confrontation.

Oh he had tons of choices. So did the cop. I could care less about the seemingly prejudiced victim in this case. I do however, have a serious issue with someone being arrested on their own property for what they said. IMO, their speech should be so inflammatory that it requires an investigation into some sort of crime. And no yelling at someone on your property is not a crime or Cincy would be serving life.

The President did pretty much the same thing. "I don't have all the facts but let me go ahead and open my mouth any way." Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.

I agree that Obama made a huge misstep. I think he is getting worn out. nOOb

The right is to act as you please on your own land. You yourself admit it isn't right to be taken in for mouthing off. I guess being arrested whenever the cop feels like it is something we should just live with. I expected better from you.

Except you don't have the right to act as you please. I also don't think it's OK to be arrested but there are simply better ways to deal with the situation than the Professor did. Period.

I don't have indignation for it because it's systemic and really too small for me to care about. People haven't cared about their own rights or policing their own neighborhoods for a long time. This is what you end up with when indifference becomes the norm.

Perhaps that's a little hypocritical but I can live with that.

Oh he had tons of choices. So did the cop. I could care less about the seemingly prejudiced victim in this case. I do however, have a serious issue with someone being arrested on their own property for what they said. IMO, their speech should be so inflammatory that it requires an investigation into some sort of crime. And no yelling at someone on your property is not a crime or Cincy would be serving life.

I never said it was but if you're dumb enough to scream at a guy with a gun and a badge, you're taking a chance on getting shot in the head or arrested. It is what it is. Smart people understand that and act accordingly. That guy has a boss who I get to elect.

Also, if you use the term "do you know who I am?" that's grounds for a donkey punch. I'm just sayin'.

I agree that Obama made a huge misstep. I think he is getting worn out. nOOb

It's just sad.

Except you don't have the right to act as you please. I also don't think it's OK to be arrested but there are simply better ways to deal with the situation than the Professor did. Period.

Everyone is so busy chastising the officer that virtually no one (other than you, so far as I can tell) has offered up the simple fact that if Gates just turned his ID over when he was first asked, there's a good chance none of us would be having this discussion today.

Everyone is so busy chastising the officer that virtually no one (other than you, so far as I can tell) has offered up the simple fact that if Gates just turned his ID over when he was first asked, there's a good chance none of us would be having this discussion today.

He says that's exactly what he did. Who are you going to believe? I'm not sure, myself.

That is really just the smart bit. Of course you comply when the cop asks for ID. You also don't yell at him or say anything that might be in the least bit defensive. You meekly wait for their questions and try to explain in an intelligent manner what has occurred. Anything else, even on your own property, is just asking to get arrested or even shot. I have learned this from this thread.

As usual, in these situations, you are holding the person with the least power, the highest level of responsibility. So what if he could have avoided this? He didn't. Still doesn't mean he should be arrested.

He did.

He says that's exactly what he did. Who are you going to believe? I'm not sure, myself.

Not sure, either. But based on what we DO know, it would seem to me that regardless of what color you are, if the cops get a call to respond to a possible break in at your house, and they show up, and you're the one trying to get into your own house, and they ask you for ID, and you show it to them, the end result shouldn't be more than thinking that you'd be glad to see your neighbors and local law enforcement looking out for you.

But that's just me. I'm white. So my only value to this discussion is to let let some black dude shoot me to teach whitey a lesson.

Has Gates suggested what, specifically, the officer did prior to arresting him to make him think this was racist?

That is really just the smart bit. Of course you comply when the cop asks for ID. You also don't yell at him or say anything that might be in the least bit defensive. You meekly wait for their questions and try to explain in an intelligent manner what has occurred. Anything else, even on your own property, is just asking to get arrested or even shot. I have learned this from this thread.

Of course, there are better and worse ways of asking for ID. If a cop knocked on my door right now, and said "Excuse me, but we got a report of a break-in here...", I'd probably volunteer my ID before he asked for it, since there's no sense wasting my time and his. If, on the other hand, he shows up at my door combatative and abrasive, he's far more likely to get a "Get the !@#$ off my property."

What he's NOT going to get, though, is me following him as he walks away, continuing to swear at him. Unless I actually want to be beat down.

I lived in/bordering a 99% black area, and I would be asked to show ID at times. There were major drugs around, and I am sure the cops were just making sure I belonged and wasn't up to funny business.

30 seconds of co-operation and all is well.

I have also had the cops stop and shine a spotlight on me next to my own home. You see, I understood that by me smoking a butt on the side of a poorly lit house at 2 in the morning....to a cop on patrol it may look like I was up to no good. I give a half-ass salute with the cig, wander towards the front of the house...and they move on without a question.

Some people just need to be a-holes.

Not sure, either. But based on what we DO know, it would seem to me that regardless of what color you are, if the cops get a call to respond to a possible break in at your house, and they show up, and you're the one trying to get into your own house, and they ask you for ID, and you show it to them, the end result shouldn't be more than thinking that you'd be glad to see your neighbors and local law enforcement looking out for you.

But that's just me. I'm white. So my only value to this discussion is to let let some black dude shoot me to teach whitey a lesson.

Has Gates suggested what, specifically, the officer did prior to arresting him to make him think this was racist?

So let me get this straight, you formed an opinion on this and expressed it without all the information? I am not criticizing you, as I do not have all of the information myself...

:devil:

Do you really not understand the idea of racial profiling?