Harvard Scholar Arrested for Being Black

Sgt. Tom Fleming, director of the Lowell Police Academy, told ABC News that Crowley has been teaching a class to cops on racial profiling at the academy for the last five years.

"Jim Crowley is what we call a squared away guy. He's a really good role model for young cops and he was selected to teach this racial profiling class by the former police commissioner of Cambridge, Ron Watson, who is black," Fleming said.

Ya, that Crowley guy seems to be pretty racist :wallbash:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Semantic argument. The President should know better.

I don't think it is. But he probably shouldn't have used the expression, as there are some who don't seem to know the difference.

I don't have a problem with it. I don't know if police are "required" to identify themselves, though I suspect they are. My response was only in reference to the word "immediately" because initially the professor refused (I don't know if refusing is illegal but I suspect it is).

I think it was the Hilbell (sp?) Cattle Rancher ruling from about 5 years ago ..... you are required to identify yourself by name if there is a reasonable suspicion. Not produce ID unless you are operating under a license.

He didn't :wallbash:

see above

By that I mean I can't tell if you're making a joke, or if you seriously feel as though the President of the United states did not say the officers were stupid last night in the press conference.

By that I mean I can't tell if you're making a joke, or if you seriously feel as though the President of the United states did not say the officers were stupid last night in the press conference.

stupidly is an adverb.

No joke.

I don't think it is. But he probably shouldn't have used the expression, as there are some who don't seem to know the difference.

You actually feel saying that officers acted stupidly on a case that he doesn't have the full facts of is a Presidential move? You don't think it was uncalled for, and displayed minimal leadership?

They took the opportunity to arrest him because he was black and obnoxious, IMO.

You keep saying this. Was it 50/50? What percent would you attribute to being black vs being obnoxious? Would you attribute "you momma" comment to disposition or skin color?

I think it was the Hilbell (sp?) Cattle Rancher ruling from about 5 years ago ..... you are required to identify yourself by name if there is a reasonable suspicion. Not produce ID unless you are operating under a license.

That's federal though, correct? I'm pretty sure most states require you to produce identification if requested by law enforcement.

You actually feel saying that officers acted stupidly on a case that he doesn't have the full facts of is a Presidential move? You don't think it was uncalled for, and displayed minimal leadership?

They seemed to enter the man's house without permission or warrant..........smart move?

They seemed to enter the man's house without permission or warrant..........smart move?

He's the President of the United States of America. Not some lawyer. His words have an effect. He shouldn't say things like, the police acted stupidly. Why? Because that's unpresidential. It promotes insecurity, and it delivers a wrong message. He shouldn't have touched that question, but he felt that because he's black it's his duty to speak on behalf of his people. He forgets that his people actually means all of America and not just the brothers.

I've seen them do it on "Law and Order" so it's probably legal.

:devil: Massachussets has no stop and identify statute.

Maybe there was a reasonable belief that Gates had committed a crime. But I doubt it.

According to Dean, he was arrested because he was black. How does he get to that conclusion? By profiling a specific area as racist, regardless of the specific person's content of character or deeds. That makes real !@#$ing sense. I have a personal anecdote about pot smokers, so that should apply to everyone who smokes pot, right? The guy was outside screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs. If that isn't disorderly conduct, then i don't know what is.

:o Massachussets has no stop and identify statute.

Maybe there was a reasonable belief that Gates had committed a crime. But I doubt it.

Maybe the fact that someone had called in a robberry in progress? Yeah, it's not reasonable to ask for ID in that situation :devil:

There is no question he was arrested because he was black.

If he wasn't black, he wouldn't have felt he was racially profiled, he wouldn't have acted like a prick to the cop over this alleged profiling, the cop wouldn't have taken offense being called a racist, and they would probably be laughing and buying each other beers this week.

There is no question he was arrested because he was black.

If he wasn't black, he wouldn't have felt he was racially profiled, he wouldn't have acted like a prick to the cop over this alleged profiling, the cop wouldn't have taken offense being called a racist, and they would probably be laughing and buying each other beers this week.

While we're playing the "lets assume anything we want and play it off as fact game"...

I question it. It could have been that the police were called in and they asked him for his ID, and he was so flustered and upset that he immediately pulled the, "it's because I'm black" bit, which progressed immensely...to the point where an arrest was warranted.

Now was he arrested WITHOUT QUESTION because he was black? Or was he a reverse-racist douchebag who literally gets paid to cite the differences between white and black people?