fat doc for Surgeon General?

Yeah, that's why there are so many fat, unattractive people on TV, in the movies, on stage, in print ads, in politics, running companies, posting on message boards.... :oops:

(well, six out of seven, anyway)

Yeah, because people on TV are the majority of people you see every day. Come on man.

My BMI, 6 months ago, was 24--just inside the normal zone. I was 6-2, 192. Everyone called me skinny. You know what though--I had a bit of a gut. So I lost 15 lbs and am now much better.

We are all so used to people in real life being fat that a person who is just a touch overweight looks thin. Stuckincincy probably thought he was doing well at 5-10, 182 but he's not unless he's shredded like a pro football player. He could be doing better.

TV warps people...maybe. But what really warps you is to look at all the fatass people in the office and have that be your standard. I bet out of a hundred people in my office, not 15 have BMIs in the normal range. And I bet that's typical. With so many fatasses floating around, people start to think that is the norm.

Ah yes, the "disease" of obesity. Get ready to start paying a skinny tax folks. The new talking point is that the so-called disadvantaged don't have "equal acess" to healthy food and thus it's not their fault if they are obese as a result of stuffing down 3 Big Macs every day.

Bingo! Then again, (homemade) salad costs SO much. :oops:

I would say that yes it matters that the SG is overweight. The SG should lead by example.

Medical problems like high blood pressure or diabetes that can be caused or magnified by carrying too much weight are costing American taxpayers and businesses billions of dollars. We have a real problem in this country and simply saying that it is genetic or due to enzyme problems etc ... etc misses the point. The issue is complex involving in some cases genetics along with personal food choices, failure to understand appropriate portions, marketing, lack of excercise, the food processing industry, the restaraunt industry and just a distorted sense of what a "weight problem" is all come to mind. The start to the solution requires that a person must be honest with themselves and develop a plan to deal with all of the contributing factors. I am not throwing stones as I had to re-educate / remind myself about proper diet, portions and exercise in order to drop pounds - I stll need to lose 15- 20 to get back to an appropriate BMI. I am on track to do so.

For me, both grandfathers, my father and all uncles but one (six in total) have had bypass procedures, heart attack or both. So for me to carry any extra weight is simply a poor health choice. I know I can't guarantee that I will avoid the same outcomes as my uncles etc. However, I probably can guarantee that I will by carrying too much weight, failing to regularly exercise and not being prudent about monitoring my health.

Given that I am aware of this, if I fail to act responsibly by losing and then keeping the weight off is it right that my employer and at some point in the future the US taxpayers (upon qualifying for medicare) have to pay for my care should I need it? I say the right answer is really "no."

Bingo! Then again, (homemade) salad costs SO much. :oops:

Yup...a head of lettuce costs sooo much more than a bag of french fries.

A half gallon of milk costs sooo much more than a 2 liter of Pepsi.

Whole wheat bread costs sooo much more than Wonder.

:oops:

...and was spotted leaving a mens room, after using the urinal, without washing his hands.

Reminds me of the lyndon johnson kennedy joke. the two of them were at urinals and johnsonc turns and walks out the door. Kennedy "At Harvard they taught us to wash our hands after urinating." Johnson "In Texas they taught us not to piss on our hands."

I think the woman should be judged on her merits, but obesity is a major problem (self disclosure...I fit the obesity measure!) Let's see what she does in office.

Those silly BMI definitions are backed up by quite a bit of research.

the bmi defs are waaaaaaaaaaay oversimplified...i have a 32 inch waist am 6 1and weigh 200...im practically obese by their standards

Seems to be concern about the new Surgeon General being overweight. As someone who could afford to lose a few pounds myself (okay...quite a few). I was wondering what people thought. She seems to have done a lot of good things and be a pretty smart cookie, but should weight matter?

i think her weight ..unless she was ridiculously fat....should make little difference

I also noted that people who plunk a kid into one of those elongated carts with the seat - regardless of observed ethnicity - tend to pile up the basket with a Diet from H*ll.

Ignoring color, when I worked at the grocery store, first of the month rolled around, we'd get all the food stampers coming in. More boxes and bagged food than fresh. We'd see cookies, crackers, and Kool-Aid type drinks for the kids, and lobster tails for the parents. Rarely any fresh fruit and vegetables, sometimes canned.

Yeah, because people on TV are the majority of people you see every day. Come on man.

Like all those sitcoms with the fat husband and the hot skinny wife?

You are right. Women are always chasing after me.

:P

yeah...but that's an alimony and child support thing :lol:

Only kidding...I know you're a standup guy and probably married to your high school sweetie. Probably a long-suffering high school sweetie.

First I've heard of this. Let me guess...it's the Republicans who are criticising her weight? :wallbash:

Oh, yeah. It's the Republicans and only the Republicans. They're the root of all evil today.

Speaking of Republicans I happened to hear Glenn Beck say what's the problem? We've got a Secretary of the Treasury who cheated on his taxes? What's the big deal? We expect everybody to pay their taxes anyway. He went on to suggest if they want her to be a role model that she put a bar code and warning across her forehead along the lines of, "Caution, obesity may be harmful to your health."

the bmi defs are waaaaaaaaaaay oversimplified...i have a 32 inch waist am 6 1and weigh 200...im practically obese by their standards

There are always going to be some people in better condition than others, but the numbers show a higher risk in those 25-30 and >30 groups. The key word is risk. Falling in one group or another doesn't guarantee anything. More people will develop problems, but not every single person.