Having been to Dublin ....

folks:

having just returned from Ireland, my wife and i have come to discover the wonderfully smooth taste of this drink called Jameson. it's a triple-distilled whiskey that goes down like water and carries a powerful punch.

i had previously been a wiser's drinker (canadian, of course), but am considering making the big switch.

any thoughts ...

jw

p.s. and for all those that contributed to my digital camera post, thank you very much. our "Coolpix" proved fantastic, though, StuckInCincy might be somewhat disappointed to find out that we had no need for it in any bar altercation :unsure:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

folks:

having just returned from Ireland, my wife and i have come to discover the wonderfully smooth taste of this drink called Jameson. it's a triple-distilled whiskey that goes down like water and carries a powerful punch.

i had previously been a wiser's drinker (canadian, of course), but am considering making the big switch.

any thoughts ...

jw

p.s. and for all those that contributed to my digital camera post, thank you very much. our "Coolpix" proved fantastic, though, StuckInCincy might be somewhat disappointed to find out that we had no need for it in any bar altercation :thumbsup:

Taken under advisement! :unsure:

Good heavens, man. You're just now discovering this heady elixir? That surprises me. In my case, one of the benefits of sharing a house with an Irishman in college was being introduced to the names Jameson and Guinness at an early age. (Probably explains my grades, as I noted in my FB message ... :thumbsup: )

There is only one bottle of whiskey in this house, and John Jameson's signature is on the label.

the tulamore dew was still readily available in dublin, but didn't try it, as the wife and i were hooked on this jameson elixer. and as a whiskey drinker, i have been very loyal to wiser's for many years, ever since it was introduced to me by a friend in the mid-1980s. canadian club had a harsh taste, and always regarded as "your father's drink." and crown royal just doesn't make my cut.

as for jameson, i never really tried it, because i had the pre- and mis-conception that it was a scotch. nothing wrong with scotch, per se, but it's always turned me the wrong way and became a drink that i generally avoided. so, i stuck with wiser's, which is still not a bad choice in my opinion, because i knew its strength and how to regulate intake for the desired effect.

(note: i'm more of a beer drinker in public and reserve my taste for whiskey for late at night at home while enjoying my extensive library of music. and like the good Mr. Thorogood, i drink alone, all by myself, on these evenings to much delight.)

but back to dublin, where the guiness also goes down very much smoother than the thick stuff you find in many places on this side of the so-called pond. my wife and i always take the "when in rome" approach to travel (rum in puerto rico, for example), so while saddling up to the No. 27 bar in the Shelbourne Hotel off St. Steven's Green (very nice place), we ordered a Jameson.

my wife is not a whiskey drinker at all, but definitely no tea-toteler, so i expected it would be one drink and done for her. to my surprise, that didn't happen. she liked it so much that we wound up ordering two more rounds, and the bartender (really nice guy) also poured us one on him.

we tipped him well, and the next night (our 10th anniversary), he was free-pouring us doubles all night. we wound up closing the bar and stumbling up to our room. very memorable (?) evening.

dublin was great, though Temple Bar a little too chippewa strippish for our liking. far too many kids and tourists. found a couple of very strong watering holes, though. there was kehoe's, which was just off the fancy grafton street, but jam-packed with locals, who spilled out of the place on a nightly basis.

then there was a cool dive called "cobblestone" just around the corner from the old Jameson distillery. it's on the corner and connected to a couple of old buildings that are physically being held up by I-beams strung across their front. we ventured in on a recommendation, and found a wonderful place (reminded me of the Swannie in Buffalo) with a bunch of local musicians jamming in the corner.

and no, Whacka, we were not in california, far from it in fact. :thumbsup:

jw

Jameson is good, so is Tullamore Dew. Some aren't very good, but most that get imported to the USA are quality blends. I'm with Lori, it's hard to believe it has taken you thins long to samle Irish Whiskey.

AKC serves Powers out of his "Power Station". Beware of the Power Station.

Now, take the big move to America's best whisky, the glorious smoothness and flavor of George Dickel Superior No. 12 Brand (90 proof).

Jameson is good, so is Tullamore Dew. Some aren't very good, but most that get imported to the USA are quality blends. I'm with Lori, it's hard to believe it has taken you thins long to samle Irish Whiskey.

AKC serves Powers out of his "Power Station". Beware of the Power Station.

Now, take the big move to America's best whisky, the glorious smoothness and flavor of George Dickel Superior No. 12 Brand (90 proof).

yeah, i'm suddenly feeling kinda stupid on this front and realizing what i've been missing all these years. what a rut i've been in!

i'll see about the Dickel, but i'm not a big fan of the U.S. whiskies, which have proven either too sweet or too tart for my liking. Wild Turkey has done well in a pinch, though. (hey, if the late Dr. H.S. Thompson liked it, it can't be all bad.)

jw

yeah, i'm suddenly feeling kinda stupid on this front and realizing what i've been missing all these years. what a rut i've been in!

i'll see about the Dickel, but i'm not a big fan of the U.S. whiskies, which have proven either too sweet or too tart for my liking. Wild Turkey has done well in a pinch, though. (hey, if the late Dr. H.S. Thompson liked it, it can't be all bad.)

jw

Hunter knew his vices...and how to write.

Hunter knew his vices...and how to write.

he did indeed. he and Charles Bukowski are among my favorites.

in spring 2008, i picked up "The Kitchen Readings," an assortment of HST stories and anecdotes put forth on paper by Aspen artist and good friend of the doctor Michael Cleverly, and former Aspen sheriff Bob Braudis. cool, easy and enlightening read.

this winter, i read McKeen's epic bio of Hunter, "Outlaw Journalist," which might tell be the most informative and complete book on his life.

jw

folks:

any thoughts ...

jw

In Northern Ireland, you would be shot for drinking Jameson...

Black Bush

he did indeed. he and Charles Bukowski are among my favorites.

Two of my most favorite writers. I love the Buk, but I will take advice about the quality of my vice products from Hunter first.

I like some of John Fante's stuff, too (Bandini could have been my uncle). Bukowski turned me onto Fante.

In Northern Ireland, you would be shot for drinking Jameson...

Black Bush

Why in God's name would I want whiskey that tastes like Scotch?

(My ancestry is as Protestant as you can get, but I'll stand with the Catholics on this one.)

Two of my most favorite writers. I love the Buk, but I will take advice about the quality of my vice products from Hunter first.

I like some of John Fante's stuff, too (Bandini could have been my uncle). Bukowski turned me onto Fante.

You will no doubt be fascinated that Bukowski died on March 9th, the natal anniversary of one...

Mike Leach :thumbsup: