One Small Step - 40 Years Ago Today

/dev/null

Season camping at Wildwood in Medina. I was 13 years old and we watched it on a portable TV. The picture was only half screen from the feed and very hard to make out. But yes, I saw Armstrongs' leg/foot hop off the bottom step onto the lunar surface. Everywhere around the campsite, people were tuned in and whoopin' and hollerin'!

Great stuff!

P.S. Hoax, my azz! :lol:

:lol:

If you were alive in '69, do you remember where you watched it from?

I was 12 and was glued to the TV. My dad worked nights. He said the boss stopped work and had everybody gather around a TV in the lunchroom.

The moon was visible that night. You youngsters don't realize the awe of going outside , looking at the moon, and realizing someone is up there right at that moment.

I was 8 years old, the perfect age to be fascinated by this. I remember sitting on the floor glued to our TV watching it all. I had model of the Saturn 5 rocket complete with LEM inside. As I mentioned before '68 and '69 were amazing rollercoaster years.

I always wondered what the stars would look like to someone on the moon,with no atmosphere to look through.

People thought they'd be much brighter from the surface of the moon, but as it turned out the glare from the sun reflected off the ground washed them all out, and the astronauts didn't see many stars.

People thought they'd be much brighter from the surface of the moon, but as it turned out the glare from the sun reflected off the ground washed them all out, and the astronauts didn't see many stars.

Doesn't Alice Kramden reside there? :thumbsup:

Modern Marvels had about Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 yesterday. One of the bumper spots said the lunar dust is 30-40 % glass, thus the high reflectance.

The History Channel had some great shows about it last night. A great part was when Armstrong recited his "....small step...." remark the last part was garbled and Cronkite had to as someone in the "booth" to tell him what he said.

Why this big deal over a 40th anniversary?

My guess is to deflect press coverage away from "carbon" tax and the "health care" smoke 'n mirrors campaign.

As I've mentioned many times '68 and '69 were incredibly tumultuous years especially '68 which was a terrible year. That one week the world and the human race were as one. It was quite an amazing feat.