Walter Cronkite Passed Away!

Steely Dan

Sad news.

I suspect we'll be hearing a lot of Walter retrospectives this weekend with the moon landing anniversary. He was the "voice" of the space program (as well as a lot of other things) in the '60s.

RIP...

And that's the way it is.

RIP Uncle Walter

They're showing a retrospective of him now and one thing that really stands out is something he said about the state of journalism today. He said; "You should tell people what they need to know, not what they want to know."

Sad news.

I suspect we'll be hearing a lot of Walter retrospectives this weekend with the moon landing anniversary. He was the "voice" of the space program (as well as a lot of other things) in the '60s.

RIP...

I'm glad this didn't happen during the MJ lovefest. Now he'll get the coverage he deserves.

He announced the Kennedy assassination.

We need more guys like him in journalism today.

I'm sure there are still people who are arguably just as good, if not better, as far as pure journalism goes, but it was such a different era. He just had such an iconic persona. Anything like that won't happen again in broadcast news.

I hope he died on a 80 foot yacht, with a 20 year old mistress............I remember him saying that that is how he wanted to go, and his wife said he'll probably die on a 20 foot yacht with an 80 year old mistress.

They're showing a retrospective of him now and one thing that really stands out is something he said about the state of journalism today. He said; "You should tell people what they need to know, not what they want to know."

I'm glad this didn't happen during the MJ lovefest. Now he'll get the coverage he deserves.

Um I'm pretty sure the lovefest is still in full swing. :wallbash:

I was too young to remember Walter Cronkite. I know he was a pioneer in television news and he was loved by many.

I was not a big fan of some of his left leaning views that he espoused in his later years, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

To add a little levity to this moment I wanted to post this gem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrP5FLOszyM