Wildlife Question

Guest dog14787
You talking coyote or cougar? We also have coy-dogs here the coyotes and stray dogs are mating. We have a big coyote hunt here in Feb. It sometimes pays out around 10- 13 grand for the biggest. There are also some smaller contests..

Big cat, darker in color but not black, like a tan with a darker shade to it almost. The wind was blowing hard off the lake and we came up to the shoreline and was within 30 yards of him before he knew we were looking over the bank at him, but within a split second he was off and running and gone in an instant. Cats are almost unmistakable the way they run, no doubt in my mind. I'm not exactly sure what kind of cat, but it was way to big to be a Bob cat and he looked just like a mountain lion to me and my niece described him the same way.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leopards aren't really known (notice how I phrased that) to be man eaters... :thumbsup:

Cougars are a lot more dangerous. Just imagine the full blown panic if cougars start making a comeback in the east.

I beleive that if given the opportunity, leopards and cougars are equally likely to kill a person. In fact, it's been suggested that in Africa leopards aren't adverse to taking the occasional small woman or child right along with their regular game (as opposed to lions, which seem to generally not go out of their way to eat people until and unless they learn that men are easy and "yummy", in lion terms).'

And then, on the Indian subcontinent, you've got such stories as this, or this.

Big cat, darker in color but not black, like a tan with a darker shade to it almost. The wind was blowing hard off the lake and we came up to the shoreline and was within 30 yards of him before he knew we were looking over the bank at him, but within a split second he was off and running and gone in an instant. Cats are almost unmistakable the way they run, no doubt in my mind. I'm not exactly sure what kind of cat, but it was way to big to be a Bob cat and he looked just like a mountain lion to me and my niece described him the same way.

Yeah the big long tail is the dead giveaway. 30 yds WOW ,that was too close. Iread that it `s most likely a young mountain lion that attacks people. They are curious and not as afraid as a mature cat.

Guest dog14787
Yeah the big long tail is the dead giveaway. 30 yds WOW ,that was too close. Iread that it `s most likely a young mountain lion that attacks people. They are curious and not as afraid as a mature cat.

We were fairly safe unless it was one bad ass cat that could jump straight up about 40 ft, but it didn't stop him from giving us a good scare. This cat was within 100 yards of a house on the shoreline, but secluded in a small inlet at the mouth of a creek, so he must not have felt very intimidated by people. (had a long almost black tail)