Wildlife Question

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they eat bull frogs? If so, I wish they lived behind my house. I have nothing but woods behind my house for a couple of miles. The past couple of weeks, it is so loud out there my dog is freaked out at night. She won't go take a whiz unless I go out into the backyard with her.

Get a BB gun and go to the water they live in, and plug 'em in the head. They like to drift up and put their forearms on the shore, same as leopard frogs. Or lay down a plank from the water to the bank - Bullfrogs like to climb out.

Or get one of those trident barbed things you affix to a stick like the giggers do, and spear 'em. You can butcher and cook the leopards.

I saw a few when I lived in Montana.. but, that's nothing new in Big Sky Country.

There was also the black bear that was captured (killed) in Greece, NY about 2-3 weeks ago.

The killed part of that was unintentional. I read in the news today that the tranq dart apparently penetrated into a femoral artery causing severe internal bleeding. Tthe dart tip also broke off inside the bear when it fell out of the tree.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...in+bear+s+death

Just wait till mountain lions start repopulating certain areas... Here in Illinois there are herds of white tail everywhere... Hope somebody is keeping themin check because mother nature will. How far of an area do you think one lion can cover... Let me state an "elusive lion." There is a reason why they were wiped out of the east over a 100 years ago. Same thing with bear (pushed back into remote regions)... Don't even get me started on the side effects the eviro movement has on stuff like this. Sometimes the cure CAN be worse than the disease. Hey, we will just have to deal with it. :devil::D

We have a large population of black bear here. They are in everybodies trash and bird feeders here. The state record is around 700 lbs.

Trash years ago used to be disposed of in open hollows or what not. Now with the advent of closed transfer stations and the trash ending up elsewhere... What do you want the bear to do? :D I say shoot the thing. Even relocated, bears can travel a huge area to get back to where they were orginally sent away from. And smart too... In the ADK's (especially around the Marcy area) I always tie my bear bag line a few trees down and exceptionally high (on the shoulders of someone else)... Some bears will actually follow the line to where the knot is if they have been exposed to a large human presence.

Yo Boo Boo, Yogi has a come a long way... And the Ranger isn't happy!

:devil:

Get a BB gun and go to the water they live in, and plug 'em in the head. They like to drift up and put their forearms on the shore, same as leopard frogs. Or lay down a plank from the water to the bank - Bullfrogs like to climb out.

Or get one of those trident barbed things you affix to a stick like the giggers do, and spear 'em. You can butcher and cook the leopards.

Better yet... No need to even touch them... Take a shotgun and blast towards the water... The frogs will fly out of the water from the concussion... Dead without a scratch on them! :devil:

Trash years ago used to be disposed of in open hollows or what not. Now with the advent of closed transfer stations and the trash ending up elsewhere... What do you want the bear to do? :D I say shoot the thing. Even relocated, bears can travel a huge area to get back to where they were orginally sent away from. And smart too... In the ADK's (especially around the Marcy area) I always tie my bear bag line a few trees down and exceptionally high (on the shoulders of someone else)... Some bears will actually follow the line to where the knot is if they have been exposed to a large human presence.

Yo Boo Boo, Yogi has a come a long way... And the Ranger isn't happy!

:devil:

Last yr they harvested 3,458 bears here in Pa. This is to keep the population at 15,000 . That my friend are alot of Yogies. I just wonder how many non-exisistant cougars there are? Even 100 would almost never be seen. I know hunters that have never seen a bobcat,and there are afew thousand of them.

Last yr they harvested 3,458 bears here in Pa. This is to keep the population at 15,000 . That my friend are alot of Yogies. I just wonder how many non-exisistant cougars there are? Even 100 would almost never be seen. I know hunters that have never seen a bobcat,and there are afew thousand of them.

And cougars are man eaters... Imagine the range just ONE has and the damage that can be done especially with an unchecked deer population to take advantage of. I am talking about the bad "cougars."

:devil::D

Big cats can be elusive as hell. I recall a story of a leopard that lived for two years in a South African soccer stadium (Jo-berg or Pretoria, I don't remember which) without anyone knowing.

Big cats can be elusive as hell. I recall a story of a leopard that lived for two years in a South African soccer stadium (Jo-berg or Pretoria, I don't remember which) without anyone knowing.

Leopards aren't really known (notice how I phrased that) to be man eaters... :wallbash:

Cougars are a lot more dangerous. Just imagine the full blown panic if cougars start making a comeback in the east.

Better yet... No need to even touch them... Take a shotgun and blast towards the water... The frogs will fly out of the water from the concussion... Dead without a scratch on them! :wallbash:

The energy of a shotgun blast into water is rapidly attenuated over the broad reservoir of water in a pond. Your frogs must somehow be bunching up. I can't say I've known a grown frog that cared much for company.

See also shooting fish in a barrel - a discreet, contained system.

A BB gun serves well, if you are a mind. And there are ways to attract frogs to the surface or onto the shore, but that's old ways, and I won't tell. The plank trick is far from the best methods.

Respect the frog. Don't kill'em unless you have a recipe in mind. They eat the bugs that pester one. If I may, I also recommend feeding the local birds with regularity.

My birds know that there is always the possibility of a meal at my little patch of dirt, year round. When I don't put out, they lurk around, and eat up the annoying flying insects. I almost never get bit.

And personally, I like frog croaks. They are right up there with hen clucks.

The energy of a shotgun blast into water is rapidly attenuated over the broad reservoir of water in a pond. Your frogs must somehow be bunching up. I can't say I've known a grown frog that cared much for company.

See also shooting fish in a barrel - a discreet, contained system.

A BB gun serves well, if you are a mind. And there are ways to attract frogs to the surface or onto the shore, but that's old ways, and I won't tell. The plank trick is far from the best methods.

Respect the frog. Don't kill'em unless you have a recipe in mind. They eat the bugs that pester one. If I may, I also recommend feeding the local birds with regularity.

My birds know that there is always the possibility of a meal at my little patch of dirt, year round. When I don't put out, they lurk around, and eat up the annoying flying insects. I almost never get bit.

And personally, I like frog croaks. They are right up there with hen clucks.

:wallbash::devil:

I like frogs too... We get a lot of tree frogs in my neck of the woods and the sounds are very pleasing. I think taking frogs may be illegal too in some areas??

On another note... I just got back from WNY and noticed a lack of fire flies... What is up with that? I remember there used to be ton of them growing up. Here in Illinois you see them all over at twilight.

??

:wallbash::devil:

I like frogs too... We get a lot of tree frogs in my neck of the woods and the sounds are very pleasing. I think taking frogs may be illegal too in some areas??

On another note... I just got back from WNY and noticed a lack of fire flies... What is up with that? I remember there used to be ton of them growing up. Here in Illinois you see them all over at twilight.

??

I also noticed the lack of them here at my place . I have a little over 30 acres and they are far and few this yr. Maybe the wet and colder summer here this yr ?

I also noticed the lack of them here at my place . I have a little over 30 acres and they are far and few this yr. Maybe the wet and colder summer here this yr ?

A few years ago we went to a fire fly thing/hike/flashlight-hike at the local forest preserve here in Illinois... There are still a ton here... I forget my lesson why they aren't in other places? I think the person at the FP said it had something to do with pollution??? Even my father-in-law always comments how he doesn't see them in WNY like he did when he was a child. On thing od interest is that (I think I heard somewhere) the whole day-glo/neon color thingy code was cracked by fire flies?? Not sure if this was true?? But, years back... They (I guess the science community) would pay for people to catch them so they can study them.

Can anybody confirm this?? Old-timers Cincy... :wallbash:

A few years ago we went to a fire fly thing/hike/flashlight-hike at the local forest preserve here in Illinois... There are still a ton here... I forget my lesson why they aren't in other places? I think the person at the FP said it had something to do with pollution??? Even my father-in-law always comments how he doesn't see them in WNY like he did when he was a child. On thing od interest is that (I think I heard somewhere) the whole day-glo/neon color thingy code was cracked by fire flies?? Not sure if this was true?? But, years back... They (I guess the science community) would pay for people to catch them so they can study them.

Can anybody confirm this?? Old-timers Cincy... :wallbash:

I think the males release some kind of chemical to help find mates ,or it might be the female. I can`t remember which one.

I think the males release some kind of chemical to help find mates ,or it might be the female. I can`t remember which one.

Not sure either... You can tell I was battling the mosquitos on the flashlight hike we went to! :wallbash::devil:

It might be the interval of blinking... I think you can attract them with a flashlight???

Guest dog14787
How many people on here have seen a non-existent mountain lion in there state? My son and friends on a mountain ride last night had one cross in front of them. This is before any drinking . Several people here in north cental Pa. area have seen them. The pa. game comm stated a few yrs. back there was no coyotes here also . Now we are over -run with them. :wallbash:

My niece and I seen one in Westfield, NY about 7 years ago along the Erie shoreline, couldn't believe my eyes. It took off through the grape vineyards and was gone so fast it had me second guessing what I had just seen, but my Niece seen it also.

They have reintroduced coyote's to some areas and they do seem to be more plentiful.

My niece and I seen one in Westfield, NY about 7 years ago along the Erie shoreline, couldn't believe my eyes. It took off through the grape vineyards and was gone so fast it had me second guessing what I had just seen, but my Niece seen it also.

They have reintroduced coyote's to some areas and they do seem to be more plentiful.

You talking coyote or cougar? We also have coy-dogs here the coyotes and stray dogs are mating. We have a big coyote hunt here in Feb. It sometimes pays out around 10- 13 grand for the biggest. There are also some smaller contests..