Wildlife Question

How many people on here have seen a non-existent mountain lion in there state? My son and friends on a mountain ride last night had one cross in front of them. This is before any drinking . Several people here in north cental Pa. area have seen them. The pa. game comm stated a few yrs. back there was no coyotes here also . Now we are over -run with them. :devil:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people on here have seen a non-existent mountain lion in there state? My son and friends on a mountain ride last night had one cross in front of them. This is before any drinking . Several people here in north cental Pa. area have seen them. The pa. game comm stated a few yrs. back there was no coyotes here also . Now we are over -run with them. :devil:

Today's mountain lion news bite:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...ion-attack.html

My cousin who lives in Wyoming County in NYS claims to have recently seen a Mountain Lion nearby his house. As you said, Coyote’s up until a few years ago were unheard of in the Eastern US….quite common nowadays.

Yeah there has been several sightings around this area,even one caught on a mans cell phone. I know of 10 or so people here that have seen them. They even had a road killed one. The game comm said it was probably someone that released it into the wild. They say the last one killed in Pa. was in the late 1890`s . All of them?

Before I left WNY in 2002 I saw two coyotes in Orchard Park. One was bounding through a tall grass field in broad daylight, the other was a road kill on the 219. I actually stopped to look at its carcass to make sure I wasn't seeing things so yes coyotes are pretty common now.

In the last six months there's been two black bear road kills in WNY...one on the 400 and another on the 190 near the Smith Street exit so black bears are definitely becoming more common in Erie County...they've always been pretty common in the southern tier of New York.

As for mountain lions I've not heard of any sightings in WNY but it wouldn't surprise me. There's no north american animal that could be mistaken for a mountain lion except a jaguar which has spots or is black and is almost never seen north of the Mexican border. The bobcat is a much smaller animal and WNy is too far south for a lynx. As I said it wouldn't surprise me to know of mountain lions in WNY.

Besides the western United States where they are common, there are known mountain lion populations in Canada, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and Florida with recent sightings in Illinois, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Oh sure, next you will be telling us that you and your buddies spotted Sasquatch

subathing at Lake Erie the other day.

I was waiting for that one. What took so long? It is quite remote around here and several thousand acres of wooded hills with nothing there .With alot of mountain lions favorite diet of whitetail deer. This is what the Pa. game comm brought into lower the deer population. They also reintroduced the Fisher , a wolverine type of animal,that was extinct. It has been hard on the small game here in pa along with the turkey. No mistaking a cougar for anything else with that long tail and such.

I saw a few when I lived in Montana.. but, that's nothing new in Big Sky Country.

There was also the black bear that was captured (killed) in Greece, NY about 2-3 weeks ago.

We have a large population of black bear here. They are in everybodies trash and bird feeders here. The state record is around 700 lbs.

Feel free to send some coyotes to my area. Friggin deer are everywhere.

Feel free to send some coyotes to my area. Friggin deer are everywhere.

Believe me, I'd be happy to. Hear them almost every night on the hill behind the house.

And as a fellow resident of northcentral Pa., I've never personally seen a big cat in the wild here, but coworkers have. Bears? I mock the Amherst PD for shooting that 150-pounder -- I've shooed bigger ones than that off the front porch.

Believe me, I'd be happy to. Hear them almost every night on the hill behind the house.

And as a fellow resident of northcentral Pa., I've never personally seen a big cat in the wild here, but coworkers have. Bears? I mock the Amherst PD for shooting that 150-pounder -- I've shooed bigger ones than that off the front porch.

Do they eat bull frogs? If so, I wish they lived behind my house. I have nothing but woods behind my house for a couple of miles. The past couple of weeks, it is so loud out there my dog is freaked out at night. She won't go take a whiz unless I go out into the backyard with her.