The Fat Eagle and Gene Vincent (and Cassel...)

The Cardinals tagged Karlos Dansby for the 2nd straight year. That means they pay him the average of last year's 5 top players at the position. For Dansby at DE, it's $9.7 million.

Dansby's salary

Did the Eagles give Peters average top 5 money, or more or less? The reason is, if players/agents can beat franchise tag money, this obnoxious holdout/malingering strategy (years ahead of the expiration of the current contract) will become commonplace. Not that the contracts mean much anyway.

Belichick really helped out Matt Cassel. The Chiefs paid him $15 million. If the Patriots hadn't franchised him, would any team have paid $15 million for Cassel as a free agent? The Patriots tag gave Cassel lots of bargaining chips. It was kind of ballsy, since if no one wanted to pick up Cassel for that money, the Patriots would have had $30 million tied up in two QBs, and zero cap space. You have to wonder about Pioli's role in this.

Peters got a 6-year, $60 mil contract from the Eagles. The franchise tag for an o-lineman this season is $8,451,000.

But Peters was under contract, so no tag would have been needed on him.

Peters got a 6-year, $60 mil contract from the Eagles. The franchise tag for an o-lineman this season is $8,451,000.

But Peters was under contract, so no tag would have been needed on him.

Right, he had two years remaining on his contract. So, Peters and Gene did exceeded franchise tag $ by malingering his way out of finishing his contract. Bad precedent. Makes you wonder about "tying up" players with long term contracts.

Hypothetically for instance, what about Lee Evans? Now Owens is here, so Evans puts up some crazy numbers and makes headlines throughout the League. Let's even throw in a little tampering by some other team under the table.

I'm not saying Evans is that kind of person, and I don't know anything about his agent, but...

The Cardinals tagged Karlos Dansby for the 2nd straight year. That means they pay him the average of last year's 5 top players at the position. For Dansby at DE, it's $9.7 million.

Dansby's salary

Did the Eagles give Peters average top 5 money, or more or less? The reason is, if players/agents can beat franchise tag money, this obnoxious holdout/malingering strategy (years ahead of the expiration of the current contract) will become commonplace. Not that the contracts mean much anyway.

Belichick really helped out Matt Cassel. The Chiefs paid him $15 million. If the Patriots hadn't franchised him, would any team have paid $15 million for Cassel as a free agent? The Patriots tag gave Cassel lots of bargaining chips. It was kind of ballsy, since if no one wanted to pick up Cassel for that money, the Patriots would have had $30 million tied up in two QBs, and zero cap space. You have to wonder about Pioli's role in this.

I don't think the franchise tag was an advantage for Cassel, I think it was a disadvantage.

He is not a proven player in this league. He was never good enough to start on his own in college or the pro's, and when he did, it was on one of the greatest franchises in NFL history. No one knows if Cassel's performance was that of the team around him, or himself.

The franchise tag would pay him a lot of money this year, but it is only for one season. That gives everyone the ability to see what Cassel can do away from New England and if he can succeed. That is a gamble for Matt. You could make a lot of money this year, but if you don't have a good season, you're never going to see money like that again come off season contract time. With a long term deal (and no franchise tag), you're getting into guaranteed money and longevity of a deal that is hard for teams to break. In essence, you have a longer time to prove yourself.

I think it was in Matt's best interest to score a deal (like he did) early and not play out the terms of the franchise tender, guaranteeing himself some money in this league and for the future. Who knows how this upcoming season will playout for Matt and the Chiefs.

I don't think the franchise tag was an advantage for Cassel, I think it was a disadvantage.

He is not a proven player in this league. He was never good enough to start on his own in college or the pro's, and when he did, it was on one of the greatest franchises in NFL history. No one knows if Cassel's performance was that of the team around him, or himself.

The franchise tag would pay him a lot of money this year, but it is only for one season. That gives everyone the ability to see what Cassel can do away from New England and if he can succeed. That is a gamble for Matt. You could make a lot of money this year, but if you don't have a good season, you're never going to see money like that again come off season contract time. With a long term deal (and no franchise tag), you're getting into guaranteed money and longevity of a deal that is hard for teams to break. In essence, you have a longer time to prove yourself.

I think it was in Matt's best interest to score a deal (like he did) early and not play out the terms of the franchise tender, guaranteeing himself some money in this league and for the future. Who knows how this upcoming season will playout for Matt and the Chiefs.

Wait.

Play out the two scenarios:

1. The Patriots do not franchise Cassel, because they are confident that Brady is OK to go (which turns out true). So Matt goes UFA. How high does the bidding go for Cassel?

2. The Patriots franchise Cassel (they're really going to pay two QBs $15 million each?), then trade him to team X, who must negotiate a new contract. At the time of the trade to the Chiefs, no contract had been agreed upon. The contract came about two days ago. Not to mention the 34th draft pick that went to the Patriots.

Which way get's Cassel a better contract, or doesn't it make any difference?

Wait.

Play out the two scenarios:

1. The Patriots do not franchise Cassel, because they are confident that Brady is OK to go (which turns out true). So Matt goes UFA. How high does the bidding go for Cassel?

2. The Patriots franchise Cassel (they're really going to pay two QBs $15 million each?), then trade him to team X, who must negotiate a new contract. At the time of the trade to the Chiefs, no contract had been agreed upon. The contract came about two days ago. Not to mention the 34th draft pick that went to the Patriots.

Which way get's Cassel a better contract, or doesn't it make any difference?

I'm saying I don't care about that as long as he's got one before the season starts. It is in his best interest NOT to play out the franchise tag, and to get a deal done.

Dansby's salary

I am pretty sure in the 2nd franchise year, the Club has to pay 110% of the previous years salary to the player.

But didn't that "great" franchise miss the playoffs the one year Cassel started?

I'm saying I don't care about that as long as he's got one before the season starts. It is in his best interest NOT to play out the franchise tag, and to get a deal done.

Frankly, I'm looking at the Cassel deal thinking that the Chiefs kind of took it in the shorts. I agree that, and it would be stupid to deny that Matt made out just great. He got franchise tag $, which theoretically means that someone thought he's somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd best QB in the League. It also makes me wonder about a Patriots-Scioli-Chiefs triangle.

Dansby is a MLB, not DE

Actually Dansby is the Cardinals right outside LB, so we should both shut our holes.

4 sacks, 2 INTs, 3 fumble recoveries and 119 tackles. Wonder why they tagged him?