No bias here....

Maybe because I live in California, like you, in a big city and county, and I pay 8.25%. A mile or two away it is 9.25%, because it is in another city district. Wacka asked about the state of CA so I answered about the state of CA. If he asked about the city of SF, I would have answered about the city of SF.

I'm funny like that, I listen to or read what people say, and then I answer what they ask. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Funny, I just noticed that across the board in LA county, it just skyrocketed on July, 1st to 9.75%

http://www.lawupdates.com/summary/hike_in_...e_effect_on_ju/

Now in CA it varies from 8.25 to 10.75 depending on where you live.

You didn't know that everyone's sales taxes went up by 1% July 1st? Good to see you're paying attention.

My point was in your post you said it wasn't all sales tax. You said they add "district taxes". Who cares what they call it, it's all sales tax, a tax added to whatever you buy.

You didn't know that everyone's sales taxes went up by 1% July 1st? Good to see you're paying attention.

My point was in your post you said it wasn't all sales tax. You said they add "district taxes". Who cares what they call it, it's all sales tax, a tax added to whatever you buy.

I know that, which is why I said it depends on where you live in the state because some have those taxes and some don't. And why I said it's 8.25 one place and 9.25 down the road as I was including all the different taxes including district taxes under "sales" tax. If you recall, Wacka asked "Sure it wasn't CA, it's 10% here."

And I do recall reading about the raise when they passed the bill a year or so ago, that it was going to be jacked up in 2009, I'd just forgot about it. One of the downsides of reading the news online like I do now is that I don't read nearly as much of the local news as I did when I would actually read the whole paper in hardcopy. (Not that local LA news is all that interesting). But when I go to the store and buy something, I don't always look at the "sales tax percentage" on my receipts to see if it has gone up 1% in the last two weeks. So I didn't notice, no. :thumbsup:

I know that, which is why I said it depends on where you live in the state because some have those taxes and some don't. And why I said it's 8.25 one place and 9.25 down the road as I was including all the different taxes including district taxes under "sales" tax. If you recall, Wacka asked "Sure it wasn't CA, it's 10% here."

And I do recall reading about the raise when they passed the bill a year or so ago, that it was going to be jacked up in 2009, I'd just forgot about it. One of the downsides of reading the news online like I do now is that I don't read nearly as much of the local news as I did when I would actually read the whole paper in hardcopy. (Not that local LA news is all that interesting). But when I go to the store and buy something, I don't always look at the "sales tax percentage" on my receipts to see if it has gone up 1% in the last two weeks. So I didn't notice, no. :devil:

See that's the difference between a liberal and conservative. You don't give a shiit about how much money the government takes, I do. I check how much in sales tax I pay more often than not. Especially seeing there's neither rhyme nor reason to it when it comes to dining out here in SF. Some restaurants charge tax for everything, some charge for food and not booze, some for booze not food, some nothing. It's a cluster !@#$ and you can thank the bureaucracy which is our government that you're all willing to hand over the health care issue to.

Oh and BTW when you said hadn't noticed the change in the last two weeks that didn't sound right. I was waaaay of, the change happened April 1st. I noticed it when my car payment went up by 1% But that's ok, it's just temporary. :thumbsup:

California is a mess, and there seems to be numerous reasons and people to blame for it. But it's also a pretty fabulous place to live. I used to hate living in LA when I first moved here, but overall -- the weather, the things to do, the beach, amenities, the women, the talent, the natural beauty of certain areas, the different cities and areas, etc, versus the various downsides (like cost and traffic and politics), it's tremendous, and at least to me, well worth the money, even the extra .5 - 1.5%.

No doubting any of that, but it bugs me when people are accepting of the current status. There is no reason why every tax out there couldn't be cut in half and still have all those same things apply to CA or NY or any other great place to live.

No doubting any of that, but it bugs me when people are accepting of the current status. There is no reason why every tax out there couldn't be cut in half and still have all those same things apply to CA or NY or any other great place to live.

Probably not half but I basically agree. I have said here before that I think, in general, we could cut everything in government by 33% across the board if we had to and pay for everything we needed. But it's not all the government's fault. A great number of people in the public that would need to change it are lazy, will steal, are incompetent, etc. Hell, if people and businesses and corporations just paid all their taxes we could probably have a flat tax of 10% and pay for everything we need, too.

Probably not half but I basically agree. I have said here before that I think, in general, we could cut everything in government by 33% across the board if we had to and pay for everything we needed. But it's not all the government's fault. A great number of people in the public that would need to change it are lazy, will steal, are incompetent, etc. Hell, if people and businesses and corporations just paid all their taxes we could probably have a flat tax of 10% and pay for everything we need, too.

Whose fault it that? The government for not enforcing the rules they've created. It's like the MUNI system up here. They raised fares 33% recently. I said if they just enforced the rules and made sure eveyone who rode the system paid they'd be in the black in no time. And today this article comes out in the Chronicle. So they raise rates first then come to this conclusion. :thumbsup:

So when Hill'ry turned her back on NYS for almost three years during the run-up and then the campaign for the Democratic nomination she was a multi-tasking woman of the 21st Century. When Sarah Palin climbs aboard the VP express for six months, she's investigated for dereliction of duty and misuse of state officials.

Gee, go figure....

BY HER OWN STATE.