2009 World Series of Poker Main Event

EZC-Boston

They started with over 6,000 runners (and a little controversy) but there are only 2 days of play left to determine the 2009 November 9. A few notables still alive:

Phil Ivey

Antonio Esfandiari

Dennis Phillips (the 2008 November 9 Chip Leader and eventual 3rd place finisher)

Tom Schneider

Joe Sebok

Who you guys pulling for? I'm a huge Poker Road fan so I'm sweating Sebok. It would be great if any of those guys make the final table.

Some good stories this WSOP, not sure if anybody else has been following, but I wake up every morning wishing I was in Vegas during the WSOP. Grinding out the tournaments has to be better than working for Lumberg.

I forgot about it....any bad beats? I think Tiffany Michelle should play in the nude

After the way she acted last year, she should play in the nude and with a sock in her mouth.

Sounds like a lot of the big names are gone. I hope Hellmuth went out on a particularly bad beat.

After the way she acted last year, she should play in the nude and with a sock in her mouth.

Sounds like a lot of the big names are gone. I hope Hellmuth went out on a particularly bad beat.

lol, there's nothing better than Hellmuth or Matusow going out on a huge kick to the nuts via the river card. :thumbsup:

lol, there's nothing better than Hellmuth or Matusow going out on a huge kick to the nuts via the river card. :thumbsup:

I don't mind Matusow so much.. but, I can't stand Hellmuth. I'd just as soon see "Poker Brat" lose it all when he's called while trying to bluff. :P

Down to 27, Ivey & Esfandiari still standing. Ivey has won 2 bracelets already this year. If he wins the ME, basically becomes the best WSOP performance ever. Would be even crazier because Jeff Lisandro (not a household name, mainly known for threatening to knock a guy's head off because he accused (falsely) Lisandro of not putting his ante in) already won 3 bracelets this year and that was expected to be the story of this year. Esfandiari and Ivey in the November 9 would be incredible for poker since I think they will both try to capitalize on the spotlight.

What was the controversy about?

There were 4 starting Days (1A,1B,1C,1D) and players were allowed to register for whatever day they wanted to play. The first day got around 1,100, the second day (4th of July) got around 900, the 3rd day 1,900 and then day 1D had 2,800 runners but would have had more. They ran out of space and had to announce that the 1D was sold out. That left between 100 to 750 players unable to play in the biggest/best tournament of the year. They explored a lot of options but basically didn't have space to fit another 100 poker tables, dealers, etc. People will blame Harrahs for not planning well but I think they players only have themselves to blame for not signing up in time. There were 4 starting days, I know the last day is the best (least time required to be in Vegas) but pre-registration was open since March so what were they waiting for? Anyway, they'll fix it for next year I'm sure.

Without reading a single post (I am hoping to watch without knowing the outcome), I would like to thank you for the discreet title. I remember last year someone posted "Peter Eastgate wins WSOP", I was like son of a b!tch!!!

There were 4 starting Days (1A,1B,1C,1D) and players were allowed to register for whatever day they wanted to play. The first day got around 1,100, the second day (4th of July) got around 900, the 3rd day 1,900 and then day 1D had 2,800 runners but would have had more. They ran out of space and had to announce that the 1D was sold out. That left between 100 to 750 players unable to play in the biggest/best tournament of the year. They explored a lot of options but basically didn't have space to fit another 100 poker tables, dealers, etc. People will blame Harrahs for not planning well but I think they players only have themselves to blame for not signing up in time. There were 4 starting days, I know the last day is the best (least time required to be in Vegas) but pre-registration was open since March so what were they waiting for? Anyway, they'll fix it for next year I'm sure.

If pre-registration was available and people simply waited till the last day to show up and register, than I agree those idiots have no one to blame but themselves.

By the way.....***SPOILER***..............

Ivey makes the final table! :lol:

If pre-registration was available and people simply waited till the last day to show up and register, than I agree those idiots have no one to blame but themselves.

Yeah some big names got shut out too, TJ Cloutier, Patrick Antonius and a few others I think.

Ivey at the FT is huge. I'm predicting we get a mainstream sponsor for him. Maybe Pepsi or something like that. I think it would be silly for him not to look for something like that.

Ivey at the FT is huge.

Yeah it is...you had to figure it was only a matter of time. I want to see Negranu at the FT next year.