Got My Hands On NCAA 2010

H2o

I don't have kids so I don't know about this but I would like to hear from those of you that do. How many of you have this challenge?

I also grew up when we would leave the house in the morning with our skates on and walk (slide) to the outdoor rink and my mom would be dragging me home by the ear after dark. We did the same for baseball, soccer, road hockey, cops and robbers, hide and seek, you name it.

I have 2 young children (6 year old girl & 4 year old boy) and so far have been blessed with children who want to be outside all of the time, in fact we just got home from soccer. Being an IT guy, I see the kids sitting on their computers or video games all day long and I am making a conscious effort to get my kids doing activities instead of playing with technology. Now mind you my kids are still pretty young, but I think if you make the effort to get them moving young, it can pay off later.

I will say that times have changed, and that presents a challenge for parents to allow their kids the freedom to roam the streets like we did at such a young age. This just takes more effort on the parent’s part to be more involved. We just purchased a trailer for camping (well you can't really call it camping) and have it at a beautiful seasonal campground that is full of families. The kids have made a bunch of friends and take off in groups (or gangs) and are gone for hours at a time. They go go go all day long, get lots of exercise and are ready for bed early. This seems to be working for us.

I also grew up when we would leave the house in the morning with our skates on and walk (slide) to the outdoor rink and my mom would be dragging me home by the ear after dark. We did the same for baseball, soccer, road hockey, cops and robbers, hide and seek, you name it.

I have 2 young children (6 year old girl & 4 year old boy) and so far have been blessed with children who want to be outside all of the time, in fact we just got home from soccer. Being an IT guy, I see the kids sitting on their computers or video games all day long and I am making a conscious effort to get my kids doing activities instead of playing with technology. Now mind you my kids are still pretty young, but I think if you make the effort to get them moving young, it can pay off later.

I will say that times have changed, and that presents a challenge for parents to allow their kids the freedom to roam the streets like we did at such a young age. This just takes more effort on the parent’s part to be more involved. We just purchased a trailer for camping (well you can't really call it camping) and have it at a beautiful seasonal campground that is full of families. The kids have made a bunch of friends and take off in groups (or gangs) and are gone for hours at a time. They go go go all day long, get lots of exercise and are ready for bed early. This seems to be working for us.

It's got to be tough. The competition for all the tech stuff they have now, I can't imagine. We talk about all the stuff we did when we were kids in the '60s and '70s but it's mainly because there was nothing else to do. We had six TV stations when I was a kid, ABC, NBC, CBS out of Buffalo and ABC, NBC, CBS out of Rochester. :thumbsup: If we had any kind of video games back then I know our parents would have had a hard time getting us out of the house just like the kids of today. Hell it was bad enough when I discovered pot, pong and doritos around the same time.

For those on the board who still get into gaming, especially football games, this is a MUST HAVE. The gameplay, graphics, and overall presentation are great. The cut aways, the body gestures, and the commentary make it seem like you are in the midst of a real game. I haven't even gotten into the Dynasty mode yet and I'm reccomending this to all. I think it's the best product that EA has ever put out.

If you've got 09' or one of the other ones, do you know if you can import your coach in the dynasty mode over to 10' or do you lose everything?

hahah..with heavy snow with a foot on the ground x 10!! When we were kids we would play at night. If the parents were out we would hook flood lights(those little ones you use to illuminate your house) up to a couple trees and play. It was fun with all the snow on the ground.

That is awesome, we used to do the same thing. My friend's backyard we used to setup these big construction lights. We mounted one on top of his garage, one of this telephone pole & the other two we mounted to these trees in the back of the endzone. You could see just like it was daytime. The lighting was terrific. We chalked the field & the white stripes in the endzone just like Notre Dame. His yard was pretty big. Maybe 50yrds long & 25 yrd wide. It was perfect for 5 on 5 football. We played every Thursday night. We would start playing in september & play until usually christmas, every thursday night. The games would start around 6:30 or so & would go to around 10. After we were done playing, we would usually egg & battery bomb a nearby neighborhood. As we got older(juniors/seniors in high school) we started incorporating booze into the equation & it only got funner with the addition of alchohal added to the mix. By Thanksgiving there was not one blade of grass left on my friends lawn. The grass always grew back in the spring though. Man those were some good times.

The older I get, the more I feel blessed to have grown up in the 70s and 80s, and I often feel envious of those who grew up in the 50s and 60s. Seems like life for kids was so much simpler back in those days, and a lot of the magic that came along with childhood has been replaced with superficial nonsense.

I remember reading an article recently by an Emory University professor who talked about how things like text messages are completely ruining in the lives of kids today. At first I was like, "please....this is just sensationalist propaganda...", but after I read the article it made perfect sense. Kids are in constant communication with one another to the point where they are perpetually distracted and interrupted, and it's preventing them from being able to focus and enjoy things as they should. I don't know why I'm off on this tangent, I guess it's just that the more I think about it, there's no way I'd ever trade my childhood back then for one today. Kids are missing out on a lot of great stuff, and your comment about playing football outside triggered a lot of great memories for me.

Could not agree with you more. We watched my wife's little cousin last weekend & all she did was text on her phone. I asked don't you want to go swimming or we go to Darien Lake for the day. She said, no I want to just text my boyfriend(I think she is 12 now). She did this all fuggin day. So at the end of the day I asked her how many txts do you send out in a month. She said last month she sent out 3,000 texts!!!! She said she has gotten as high as 5,000. I did not think that was humanely possible. That is noway to go thru childhood, plus I think she is too young to have a boyfriend.

I don't have kids so I don't know about this but I would like to hear from those of you that do. How many of you have this challenge?

My son can not get enough of playing sports. He is only 5 but when I get home from work we will be out there until 9 at night playing wiffle ball. He has the Wii & play station but very rarely plays them in the summer. He plays in a baseball league & soccer league(wives idea I hate soccer) & just started up a begginers ice hockey league this summer. Never have to ask him twice to go to any of them. He loves it all. I just wish there were more kids in the neighborhood that were his age. Most of the kids in the neighborhood are teenagers. We probably should of thought about that before we bought this house.

Could not agree with you more. We watched my wife's little cousin last weekend & all she did was text on her phone. I asked don't you want to go swimming or we go to Darien Lake for the day. She said, no I want to just text my boyfriend(I think she is 12 now). She did this all fuggin day. So at the end of the day I asked her how many txts do you send out in a month. She said last month she sent out 3,000 texts!!!! She said she has gotten as high as 5,000. I did not think that was humanely possible. That is noway to go thru childhood, plus I think she is too young to have a boyfriend.

Holy crap!!

There is only one person (actually two if there's a dad involved) to blame for that. Why do they put up with that? I guess it's a waste is easy to mind.

There is only one person (actually two if there's a dad involved) to blame for that. Why do they put up with that? I guess it's a waste is easy to mind.

Well the father is pretty much nonexistant. They are divorced. He will see the girls once every month or so. I see them more then he does. The mother has her hands full with the 12 year old & then has a set of twins that are 10yrs old. Tough situation for everybody but if man if that was my kid first she would not have a boyfriend @ 12 & second she would not have a phone with unlimiting texting on. That is just me though. I always tell my wife do not be surprised if she comes home knocked up in the next 3-5 years. These situations never end good.

Well the father is pretty much nonexistant. They are divorced. He will see the girls once every month or so. I see them more then he does. The mother has her hands full with the 12 year old & then has a set of twins that are 10yrs old. Tough situation for everybody but if man if that was my kid first she would not have a boyfriend @ 12 & second she would not have a phone with unlimiting texting on. That is just me though. I always tell my wife do not be surprised if she comes home knocked up in the next 3-5 years. These situations never end good.

12 isn't too young for a boyfriend.

Being obsessed with your boyfriend at 12 is not too uncommon.

The problem with this girl is she seems to be dependent on her text-buddy, who must also lack a "life." Funny how girls will find a daddy any way they can.

That is awesome, we used to do the same thing. My friend's backyard we used to setup these big construction lights. We mounted one on top of his garage, one of this telephone pole & the other two we mounted to these trees in the back of the endzone. You could see just like it was daytime. The lighting was terrific. We chalked the field & the white stripes in the endzone just like Notre Dame. His yard was pretty big. Maybe 50yrds long & 25 yrd wide. It was perfect for 5 on 5 football. We played every Thursday night. We would start playing in september & play until usually christmas, every thursday night. The games would start around 6:30 or so & would go to around 10. After we were done playing, we would usually egg & battery bomb a nearby neighborhood. As we got older(juniors/seniors in high school) we started incorporating booze into the equation & it only got funner with the addition of alchohal added to the mix. By Thanksgiving there was not one blade of grass left on my friends lawn. The grass always grew back in the spring though. Man those were some good times.

We used to play football outside all the time growing up. I did have a nintendo and computer, but my parents kicked us outside to play. There were 5-6 of us in the neighborhood who played everyday after school for a few hours. At one point, my one friends mom worked at a t-shirt screening place and made "jerseys" for us. When the snow flew, that made it even better. As for night games, our one friends house had floodlights on the house and shed that gave just enough light to play into the darkness. Those were some great times.

12 isn't too young for a boyfriend.

Being obsessed with your boyfriend at 12 is not too uncommon.

The problem with this girl is she seems to be dependent on her text-buddy, who must also lack a "life." Funny how girls will find a daddy any way they can.

I do not know if she is looking at her boyfriend as a daddy. He is 12 years old also. But I agree, both of them need to get a life.

As far as the NCAA 2010 can not wait to get it. Did not even know it was in the stores yet. I am going to pick it up after work today.

When I was young, I was blessed enough to grow up in a neighborhood where every other house there was somebody near my age. I recall those good old summers, waking up at 8am meeting everybody outside and starting the day with a game of roller hockey, usually accompanied by the mid-game fight or two. Afterwards, we'd usually hit up somebody's pool and relax, and then another sport afterwards. It was just non-stop fun and games, day after day. Then on the weekends at night all the parents would be drinking and we would run amuck throughout the neighborhood causing all types of trouble, hide-and-seek, cops-and-robbers, bike races. Man, to have no care in the world again would be amazing.