sympathy with the devil

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sympathy For The Devil, but as less obvious choices of great Stones songs, I've always liked Memory Motel, Sweet Virginia, and Dead Flowers.

I also agree with Jim that the Stones were better than the Beatles as a band, even though the Beatles were far better songwriters and had more great songs and less crappy ones. To me, the greatness of a band MUST include all phases of bandom. The Stones were far superior performers and entertainers (The Beatles were terrible), lasted as a band, and in my opinion although it is debatable, their core members were better musicians on their instruments (guitar, bass, drums).

You couldn't let it slide,could you? I am going off memory here.

Gimme shelter was was my# 2. # 3,paint it black.

I can't let you slide either. With this statement: I always thought they where 100% Superior to the Beatles[for you younger folks- in 1965 Beatles-Stones was Ford vs Chevy.] you better be 100% accurate in your defense.

I'm def pro Beatles but loved the Stones as well. For me, Ruby Tuesday and It's only Rock & Roll are tops.

Sweet Black Angel

Loving Cup

She's a Rainbow

Salt of the Earth

Beast of Burden

**On an episode of the Adam Carolla Podcast about a month ago, Arte Lang was talking about this book called A Season in Hell which details the creation of Exile on Mainstreet (my personal fav). I've been meaning to pick it up, it sounds crazy awesome!

And oh yeah, The Beatles v Stones argument is one of personal taste. It's nearly impossible to make a "better" band claim between the two given how radically different their careers/legacies have filled out. That being said, The Beatles are better! :rolleyes:

Love the Beatles and the Stones. I might have to give the Beatles an ever so slight edge, because of their short time, they never reached the lows that the Stones have. Really, the Stones best stuff was all done from 1967-72, they have some okay moments from 1973-1981, and the rest is pretty dreadful. But, that winning streak of great Stones albums (Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Your Ya-Ya's Out, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street) is right up there, for me, as the greatest any rock band has ever been...even the Beatles.

As for songs:

"Tumbling Dice"," Monkey Man", "Gimmie Shelter", "No Expectations", "I Got the Blues", "Dead Flowers", "Happy", "Loving Cup", "Midnight Rambler", "Sympathy For the Devil" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", "Shattered", "Before They Make Me Run","Coming Down Again" "Time Waits For No One" are all pretty amazing songs...I suppose, "Tumbling Dice" is the archeatype Stones track for me...

To whoever voted for "Angie" and "Memory Motel", shame on you!

Sympathy For The Devil, but as less obvious choices of great Stones songs, I've always liked Memory Motel, Sweet Virginia, and Dead Flowers.

I also agree with Jim that the Stones were better than the Beatles as a band, even though the Beatles were far better songwriters and had more great songs and less crappy ones. To me, the greatness of a band MUST include all phases of bandom. The Stones were far superior performers and entertainers (The Beatles were terrible), lasted as a band, and in my opinion although it is debatable, their core members were better musicians on their instruments (guitar, bass, drums).

KFB, sometimes you still manage to surprise me....