Long John Silver's Fish Taco!

Steely Dan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Wahoos a chain? I think that may have been the name of the place we went to. It was in Manhattan Beach, and this was five years ago, but that sounds right.

It is, and they do have a MB location. Though I'd be surprised if you really found Wahoo's bland. By the time you add some salsa, sour creme, and some fresh lime juice, you'd have to have a mouth full of novacaine to find them bland.

We were in MB two months ago -- wish I had known about it. I'll make sure we're there for a Tuesday next time.

I have no desire after reading this:

Outdoor Seating: Yes. No alcohol allowed at outdoor tables.

WTF???

I have no desire after reading this:

Outdoor Seating: Yes. No alcohol allowed at outdoor tables.

WTF???

:thumbsup:

Yeah, ok, that pretty much ruins it for me. The only place I'm interested in sitting outside and not drinking is Uncle Bill's for breakfast.

On second thought, I'll have a screwdriver.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, ok, that pretty much ruins it for me. The only place I'm interested in sitting outside and not drinking is Uncle Bill's for breakfast.

On second thought, I'll have a screwdriver.

Sitting outside and having a drink and watching the world go by is one of my favorite pastimes. Especially in places like Manhattan Beach.

Sitting outside and having a drink and watching the world go by is one of my favorite pastimes. Especially in places like Manhattan Beach.

Couldn't agree more and MB is a great place for it. After one day there my wife was grabbing those real estate books to thumb through and telling me to keep in touch with LA head hunters. :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more and MB is a great place for it. After one day there my wife was grabbing those real estate books to thumb through and telling me to keep in touch with LA head hunters. :thumbsup:

Jesus, is she trying to give herself a heart attack? BTW, OC is the place to be in soCal. I loved it. The west side if nucking futz.

BTW, OC is the place to be in soCal. I loved it. The west side if nucking futz.

I'll second that. Great schools. Great communities. Great restaurants. Close to everything; beaches, mountains, etc.. Great concert venues (though I think The Greek is THE best concert venue in Griffith Park, too far to go if you plan to party at the concert.) I never understand what would make a perfectly sane person leave such a beautiful place and move to, oh, I don't know....San Francisco. :lol:

I'll second that. Great schools. Great communities. Great restaurants. Close to everything; beaches, mountains, etc.. Great concert venues (though I think The Greek is THE best concert venue in Griffith Park, too far to go if you plan to party at the concert.) I never understand what would make a perfectly sane person leave such a beautiful place and move to, oh, I don't know....San Francisco. ;)

Oh let me see.

1. The restaurants make OC look like Lakawana

2. The concert venues make OC look like Batavia

3. The traffic or lack thereof. 80 MPH on the way home at 6:00pm

4. Napa 45 minutes away

5. Sonoma 40 minutes away.

6. The golden gate bridge

7. The Ferry Building Farmer's Market

8. The weather.......oh wait, scratch that.

And drum roll please......

A lot more !@#$ing stock options. :lol:

Oh let me see.

1. The restaurants make OC look like Lakawana

2. The concert venues make OC look like Batavia

3. The traffic or lack thereof. 80 MPH on the way home at 6:00pm

4. Napa 45 minutes away

5. Sonoma 40 minutes away.

6. The golden gate bridge

7. The Ferry Building Farmer's Market

8. The weather.......oh wait, scratch that.

And drum roll please......

A lot more !@#$ing stock options. :lol:

Not to mention...

The Night Life

Question on fish tacos.

I'm a big fan, but never had them when I've been in So Cal. (My wife spent time in San Diego and is a big fan of Rubio's, but that's neither here nor there).

The question is this-- is it true that the traditional fish tacos are made with fried catfish? If so, I find that kind of disturbing given that catfish is such poor quality fish.

Question on fish tacos.

I'm a big fan, but never had them when I've been in So Cal. (My wife spent time in San Diego and is a big fan of Rubio's, but that's neither here nor there).

The question is this-- is it true that the traditional fish tacos are made with fried catfish? If so, I find that kind of disturbing given that catfish is such poor quality fish.

No they (as far as I know) originated in Baja California Mexico, not a big catfish area. :devil: They typically will use a firmer white fish and what I've seen is mostly Mahi. It is fried but if your looking for real fish tacos the fish is whatever they caught off the coast of Baja that morning.

No they (as far as I know) originated in Baja California Mexico, not a big catfish area. :wallbash: They typically will use a firmer white fish and what I've seen is mostly Mahi. It is fried but if your looking for real fish tacos the fish is whatever they caught off the coast of Baja that morning.

The reason I asked was I just saw a Bobby Flay/Throwdown fish taco episode--and the "expert" he was challenging used catfish and seemed to suggest that catfish was the way to go. Now that I think about it, though, I wonder if that was an authentic "Mexican fish taco" (at least, authentic from where he came from in Mexico).

Here's the restaurant:

http://www.mamatestataqueria.com/