The truth about Canadian health care

Fingon

Five pages in on the topic of health care, and you pick the term "neighborly" to think it should go to PPP?

Really? Why is that? What was wrong with what I wrote?

I thought it would be "neighborly" to move the entire thread over to the swamp...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple points - it is easy for Canada to decide what the right treatments are after we invent them, test them, and certify them for the rest of the world. Seriously, the every day, routine sh-- that is performed in this country was once an expensive experimental treatment. Who is going to develop those new treatments? What break-throughs are we going to have after the great rationing takes place?

Also, Bill Clinton in 1992 droned on and on about the 40 million uninsured in this country and how it was going to explode in just a few years time. Well, 17 years later the number is pretty much the same. What a coinkeydink....

I believe that though we spend more per person in this country, health care costs are increasing at about the same rates among all developed countries.

Are you that !@#$ing dumb? You waited 17 hours once, so what? The average is 1 hour. The AVERAGE wait time Quebec is 12 hours. Some people wait days for emergency room care in Canada. I swear, it must take an idiot to not get the concept of an average.

first off don't be a dick and insult people for their posts

Next off, show me a hospital you can get in an ER in an Hour. NEVER have I and the waiting room is usually empty half the time.

Our healthcare system sucks..........worse in the world from what I have seen

Next off, show me a hospital you can get in an ER in an Hour. NEVER have I and the waiting room is usually empty half the time.

How do they calculate wait times? If they include people like gunshot victims, I am sure the everyday dude's experience with an earache is probably going to be higher than average.

I'll tell you what is BS about our system....I'm not saying I have the answer to fix it but just listen to my story. I'm a 26 year old non smoking male who is for all intensive purposes in great health. I work for a small company that doesn't provide group coverage but my boss pays for 100% of our health care premiums from any provider of our choice up to $200 a month for an individual. When I got out of college and prior to having my current job I got a small private plan to bridge the gap between no longer being elligable under my parents policies and before getting my own with the job I anticipated getting. Literally 2 days after getting the policy active I completely ruptured two discs in my back while doing squats in the gym. It required about $100k in major surgery and afterward I had to attend Physical Therapy for 4 days a week for about 8 months. My insurance denied the claim stating that I had the injury prior to getting my policy.....complete BS, it was just a crazy coincidence and how the fug did they know what date I was hurt? They were basically accusing me of insurance fraud. Luckily during the whole ordeal it turned out I was still covered under my mom's policy so instead of fighting with the insurance company (under my policy) I just let my mom's coverage do the trick.....I was very lucky. Later during Physical Therapy I ran out of coverage under my mom's policy......and then the fighting with my policy started. My mom's coverage only covered 30 PT visits per year which was gone after the first two months, my policy should have covered all of them but they were still claiming my back was a pre existing condition. Too make a long story short after getting an attorney involved, writing countless letters to Blue Cross, and spending well over 100 hours on the phone, they finally conceded and paid one of my PT bills. From that point on every time I went to PT they denied the claim for a pre-existing condition and I would have to call and say " you paid the last one, you have to pay this one" and go through my whole story. I spent literally at least 2 hours each night on the phone disputing well over 100 PT claims. They finally ended up paying most of my bills but I had to fight for every freaking dollar for no fugging reason. I bought insurance to protect myself in case something like this happened and then when it did they denied me for no reason. Why should it have been this hard to use the insurance I had paid for? Between all the physical therapy and the fighting with Blue Cross, the situation pretty much consumed my life. I still get denied for BS all the time, my favorite was just last winter I got a chest cold and they denied my doctors visit as a pre-existing condition because I have asthma......just because I have asthma doesn't have anything to do with why I got sick.....asthmatics still get chest colds like everyone else and its not a direct result of asthma, its a result of germs and viruses. The current situation with the insurance companies doesn't only not work its immoral, the system is set up so they make more money by denying coverage to people who deserve it....and it def. screws with peoples lives, lucky for me I had a back injury and not cancer. There def. needs to be more regulation on these douchebags.

This post tells me one thing, and that is that you havn't seen much of the world.

I thought it would be "neighborly" to move the entire thread over to the swamp...

But a lot of people stay away from PPP, for good reason. And yet this thread actually brings forth a lot of good dialogue that many people might find interesting. I mean, it's not like everyone is calling everyone names here (at least no more than another JP thread). And this topic should get more attention from Bills fans than it typically gets at the swamp.

But a lot of people stay away from PPP, for good reason. And yet this thread actually brings forth a lot of good dialogue that many people might find interesting. I mean, it's not like everyone is calling everyone names here (at least no more than another JP thread). And this topic should get more attention from Bills fans than it typically gets at the swamp.

No quibbles there. Just the threat that it'll cause certain PPP habituates to mosey over here, rather than staying in the corral.

Information trumps partisan sniping, but usually devolves quickly when MB threads get past page 4...

As a Canadian, I'll say this. When I was younger, I suffered from some serious childhood illnesses (as did my brother) and I can say without any hesitation that I was treated by some of the best doctors at no charge to my family because of our nationalized healthcare. As an adult, I haven't (fortunately) had to test the system myself, but when my uncle suffered a heart attack, this system that many declare as "flawed" could not have been any better.

Will it work in America? That I highly doubt. I think because of the population, the general health of Americans (obesity rates and what not) and the entrenched health insurance system that EFFECTIVE nationalized health care in the US is a pipe dream.

As a Canadian, I'll say this. When I was younger, I suffered from some serious childhood illnesses (as did my brother) and I can say without any hesitation that I was treated by some of the best doctors at no charge to my family because of our nationalized healthcare. As an adult, I haven't (fortunately) had to test the system myself, but when my uncle suffered a heart attack, this system that many declare as "flawed" could not have been any better.

Will it work in America? That I highly doubt. I think because of the population, the general health of Americans (obesity rates and what not) and the entrenched health insurance system that EFFECTIVE nationalized health care in the US is a pipe dream.

I wish you guys would stop saying "no charge" as if the magic medical fairy pays for it. Everyone pays, it's just in a different manner.

I think single payer could work in the U.S. if they fixed the things that are broken - but that's highly doubtful given the effectiveness of lobbyists/special interests in the current system.

Going by personal experience this year I can say that I was looked after extremely well by Kaiser here in the states. Could not have been better. No wait times. I had to go to emergency TWICE for fever and low blood levels. Both times the wait time was no more than 10 minutes. My father in Canada, who has had 3 open heart surgeries, has had to wait 2-3 months to see a cardiologist in the last couple years. Four years ago I had to back there twice for his last surgery(thought it might be it for him) and have a couple observations. The lower tier of his care, nurses and such in his regular room, was shoddy. sh-- attitude, dirty room. However, the pre op and icu seemed excellent. His surgeon seemed very good as well. It really bothered me how sloppy they were though. You would think in a hospital the place would be spotless. When I was in Kaiser for a couple weeks they came in once a day to clean the room up and nurses treated you like you were actually human.

This post tells me one thing, and that is that you havn't seen much of the world.

No sorry, I'm not like some of the RICH people on here and can travel to other countries at a whim. However, I have been around the great states of the US :thumbsup: and it does not get better. From what so called educated people have told me who have been to other countries as well documentries etc el have told me how great other systems are.

I mean......why not have a universial healthcare. I mean I have insurance and I don't even go to the dr because its silly to have to pay this much a month and still have to pay to see a normal dr.

We do alot of things assbackwards in this country......and we are so good at stealing good ideas from other countries and so far we have missed the boat on this one.

I wish you guys would stop saying "no charge" as if the magic medical fairy pays for it. Everyone pays, it's just in a different manner.

I think single payer could work in the U.S. if they fixed the things that are broken - but that's highly doubtful given the effectiveness of lobbyists/special interests in the current system.

We are paying for someones healthcare now, why not add ourselves to the same plan. MEDICAID best insurance we got. Just have to be poor to use it.........SAD SAD SAD

Oh we all pay......It's just nice to leave the Hospital after a 2 week stay and not have to sell the house to pay for it.