Ross Tucker Says Bad Behavior By Players

Linky

Maybe bad behavior's good for business after all.

Hear me out. As a former player, I'm typically highly critical of the few NFL players who fail to abide by the standard of conduct the league and legal system set forth, thereby casting a cloud of negativity over the league.

The NFL's concerned about its image, and it should be. But people aren't paying less attention to the NFL because of questionable player behavior. They certainly won't refrain from watching their teams once the season rolls around because of a few objectionable incidents. Even the corporate sponsors haven't shied away. If anything, the boon in coverage has had a positive financial impact.

I STRONGLY disagree with the bolded part. Obviously, it would be true for most of the people on this board -- after all, we're here in July, right? But without thinking too hard about it, I can name at least 10 people in my friends/family/coworkers circle who have moved on from watching the NFL, and disliking the players is one of the main reasons I've heard from them.

I STRONGLY disagree with the bolded part. Obviously, it would be true for most of the people on this board -- after all, we're here in July, right? But without thinking too hard about it, I can name at least 10 people in my friends/family/coworkers circle who have moved on from watching the NFL, and disliking the players is one of the main reasons I've heard from them.

That's why I don't watch NBA anymore, but the NFL is really cracking down on these guys and that should mean something. JMO

The NFL will sell record amounts of tickets and have top rated viewing of of its telecasts. Nobody cares about this stuff. The hometown crowd will thunderously cheer Mick Vick's first step onto the field.

Nobody who looks forward to football (or any sport) really cares--especially if the perp is on his or her team. Look at the rapture that attended Manny's return to LA---and that's a bunch of baseball fans.

The NFL will sell record amounts of tickets and have top rated viewing of of its telecasts. Nobody cares about this stuff. The hometown crowd will thunderously cheer Mick Vick's first step onto the field.

Nobody who looks forward to football (or any sport) really cares--especially if the perp is on his or her team. Look at the rapture that attended Manny's return to LA---and that's a bunch of baseball fans.

Good point. It's more about a strong bias for the home team than anything else. Look at how Kobe (after the Colorado scandal) is booed around the league, but not in L.A.

To paraphrase Seinfeld, fans aren't cheering for "people" they're cheering for "clothes." (ie., the uniforms of your home team and whomever happens to be wearing them)

I don't understand how people can give up watching an entire sport because of a few bad apples. Makes no sense. There are bad people throughout the world some included in sports teams. It just happens.

I feel that the leagues personal conduct policy is somewhat of a joke. Goodell is somewhat inconsistent and doesn't have any real parameters or guildlines for his suspensions. Maybe he does but nothing made public. I realize that each situation is somewhat different but a DUI is a DUI.