The '09 Bills will be the FIRST team...

it would help if the Bills front office knew that

maybe they could get some of the top picks signed sometime soon

I was wondering when the "when are the Bills going to sign draft pick _______ " were going to start. It's already mid July and this is the first I've seen, where are all the panicking posters, game on!

In my opinion the younger the team, the more practice you need to get to were you want to be. Good quality of practice just makes you that much better because practice is also about the mental aspect of the game. The more Reps in practice for rookies, the more accustomed they will be to the offense or defense when called upon to step up and perform.

I can understand why a veteran team would need less practice which we are not, but comparing more practice to more screaming in your face, well, I'll let the statement speak for itself.

Practice makes perfect and the Buffalo Bills execution last year was anything but perfect.

I see it the same way. A veteran playoff team with an established roster can coast through camp. The '09 Bills will have several new starters on both sides of the ball, many of them playing positions that they are not accustomed to. Additionally, the offense will look a lot different with a shuffled line, the addition of T.O., and implementation of the no-huddle. It's not so much about beating the players up as it is about getting needed reps and into sync.

Thing is WEO, you're getting into a lot of other issues here. I was addressing two a days and the toughness of the practices. I also said Jauron was getting outcoached pregame and ingame and it was this that was costing us games, not the toughness of the players.

The stuff on Marv addresses him getting outcoached and it also addresses the curfew issue. The Bills were outcoached and out-talented in those Super Bowls.

But they were not a soft team. And I don't believe that our current edition is soft either, nor do I believe that training camp is a means of beating the players into a bloody pulp.

Actually, I'm refuting your contention that Marv's style of coaching was responsible for the 4 SBs. More likely, they are responsible for the losses. Letting "adults take care of themselves" lead to the results we all saw---and that was with a superstar team. Jimmy Johnson (also with a loaded team) did things very differently and destroyed us.

Jauron has a similar "work ethic" in mind for his team--and he is starting at a massive talent deficit compared to Marv. I don't think these guys play very tough (you may disagree, but I just never saw it last year) because they are never made to.

But, to get on another issue--an interesting point made in the article concerns Kelly's timing of his exit from the league in regard to HOF voting and eligibility.

link

In my opinion the younger the team, the more practice you need to get to were you want to be. Good quality of practice just makes you that much better because practice is also about the mental aspect of the game. The more Reps in practice for rookies, the more accustomed they will be to the offense or defense when called upon to step up and perform.

I can understand why a veteran team would need less practice which we are not, but comparing more practice to more screaming in your face, well, I'll let the statement speak for itself.

Practice makes perfect and the Buffalo Bills execution last year was anything but perfect.

Good points. This is a young team and the quality of the practice is important. As a person who played sports and also played a musical instrument I can say that practice sessions that are overlong can decrease performance. Hank Bullough in his short time as Bills coach held marathon practices. I remember attending a few of them and having a conversation with then GM Terry Bledsoe about the length. He said "well we have to get this turned around and I can't think of a better way." Bullough won 6 games over two seasons with the Bills.

Bullough was succeeded by Marv and Marv was one of those that said "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Again I don't think spending tons of time on a practice field alone makes a good team. I do like the fact that we have an extra week this preseason to get the young players up to speed.

Actually, I'm refuting your contention that Marv's style of coaching was responsible for the 4 SBs. More likely, they are responsible for the losses.

But, to get on another issue--an interesting point made in the article concerns Kelly's timing of his exit from the league in regard to HOF voting and eligibility.

link

There are many Bills fans, myself among them who believe Marv was responsible for us going to four straight Super Bowls and for losing them all. If you watched "The Lost Rings" series on the NFL Network, or if you follow the history of the team, almost to a man the players credit Levy for their long run of excellence. He was a good coach but not a great coach IMO but I'm very grateful that his career came through Buffalo and that in spite of the Super Bowl losses, he was our coach.

The Easterbrook article is excellent and Slate is a great online Magazine.