Getting ready for my annual pilgramage to the NC Coast

23rd year now my family has been going to North Carolina. Mostly to Emerald Isle but the last few years we've gone to Carolina Beach instead. Good prices on oceanfront condos. (under $1K for a week) About as cheap a famly getaway as any...drive down, buy groceries, soak in the sun and surf. If you need a cheap yet scenic boat ride, hop on the NC state ferry from Fort Fisher to Southport. 35 minute ride for $1 each way. Usually get into downtown Wilmington for a nice meal in the old cobblestone district. Anyone else been down there?

NH has been miserable this summer, if you can even call it that. Rain and cold since the end of May. Can't wait to get me some heat and humidity.

PTR

Have a great time PTR....nothing better than a week on the beach. We've done a couple trips to NC over the years (Outer Banks) and it's beautiful, but everyone found the drive to be a bit long so we discovered the Delaware shore about ten years ago. 22 of us will be heading to Bethany Beach in August. :)

Carolina Beach has been our summer weekend destination of choice for many years (we also go to OBX, but that has mostly become just a once a year week w/ extended family now). CB is a short 2.5 hrs for us - used to go the majority of the weekends in the summer and stay off the beach (parents of friends retired there and we'd stay with them) then drive onto the North end - that was the way to go when kids were really small - load them and all the crap into the SUV and drive right on. Did that for a long time - used to hang out at Sea Witch at night and watch music - but alas they closed shop last year.

Have been staying more at places on the beach there the last few years as our (my wife's) tastes have gotten more expensive :) - recently have enjoyed being close or at the Golden Sands where the Ocean Grilll and Tiki bar is - they have music on the pier and it is really nice to walk over and hang out on the beach below the pier into the evening playing/relaxing on the beach while listening to the music and enjoying some beverages. Going down next weekend actually.

Come to Dallas - we have plenty of heat and humidity to share - a frigid 92 degrees here at 10:45 in the morning. Headed to Banff tomorrow to get a break from the heat.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you let your dog out the evening of July 8th and saw your breath. That ain't summer.

Have a great time PTR....nothing better than a week on the beach. We've done a couple trips to NC over the years (Outer Banks) and it's beautiful, but everyone found the drive to be a bit long so we discovered the Delaware shore about ten years ago. 22 of us will be heading to Bethany Beach in August. :lol:

We break the trip up into two days. We have family on the eastern shore of Maryland and usually spend a day there before resuming the trip. I'm willing to bet the ocean water is 10 degrees cooler than Carolina Beach. Nothing like 84-degree water.

Carolina Beach has been our summer weekend destination of choice for many years (we also go to OBX, but that has mostly become just a once a year week w/ extended family now). CB is a short 2.5 hrs for us - used to go the majority of the weekends in the summer and stay off the beach (parents of friends retired there and we'd stay with them) then drive onto the North end - that was the way to go when kids were really small - load them and all the crap into the SUV and drive right on. Did that for a long time - used to hang out at Sea Witch at night and watch music - but alas they closed shop last year.

Have been staying more at places on the beach there the last few years as our (my wife's) tastes have gotten more expensive :ph34r: - recently have enjoyed being close or at the Golden Sands where the Ocean Grilll and Tiki bar is - they have music on the pier and it is really nice to walk over and hang out on the beach below the pier into the evening playing/relaxing on the beach while listening to the music and enjoying some beverages. Going down next weekend actually.

My first CB visit we stayed at a condo right next to the fishing pier. Cross the pier and you are in the North End park. Looked nice. You could take your car right on the beach. In fact there were no paved roads once you entered the park so you better have AWD. Unlike the rest of CB they let you bring your dogs on the beach there.

We have a nice place on the 600-block of South CB Ave. Walking distance to the boardwalk. One reason we switched to CB from Emerald Isle is you can walk to any number of pubs or taverns and enjoy a cold draft. EI was just a tad too wholesome.

That CB boardwalk is pretty ratty but that's part of the charm for me. I'm sure you're familiar with Britt's Donuts?

PTR