Whitner could lose starting spot?

I hear you. It's like my own personal Ground Hog Day. My guess is that we'll get to the "Whitner Sucks Dong-o" within the next five posts.

Buffalo Blood, for what it's worth (not much, I guess), I just posted this identical piece about 10 days ago. The Whitner hate-fest ran for 4 days. Run while your legs will still carry you.

My apologies. For what its worth I didnt see your thread and I saw the two blurbs on rotoworld and found it to be very misleading and confusing.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets face it Getting litteraly run over by Sammy Morris is the lasting memory of Whitner from this past season.

Not to anyone with a scintilla of brain matter and an ounce of football acumen. He was playing with a separated shoulder, for Christ's sake.

Eh, whatever. I couldn't care less at this point. There might not be a more polarizing player on the entire roster. I will say, however, that the perpetual football-knowledge condescension on the part of the Whitner-backers brings a smile to my face every day. Thank you.

Eh, whatever. I couldn't care less at this point. There might not be a more polarizing player on the entire roster. I will say, however, that the perpetual football-knowledge condescension on the part of the Whitner-backers brings a smile to my face every day. Thank you.

It's a good shtick, isn't it?

I know man, it's like... How dare those NFL scouts know more about football than you?

It doesn't take much to be credentialed for NFL events. My father ran an NFL draft website in the mid 90's and he used to get press passes for every single draft. He never got more than 1,000 hits a day, but he still got to eat prime-rib and lobster for free.

Jason Taylor's mom did call my Dad and ask him to rank him higher, though.

Seriously?

I said months ago that I thought Donte was going to struggle to make the team this year. Scott is a much better tackler than Donte is. Lets face it Getting litteraly run over by Sammy Morris is the lasting memory of Whitner from this past season. It is his most memorable play from last year. 4.9 million cap figure for a back up safety is a lot. I think Bird takes the FS spot, Scott takes the strong, Ko makes the team and Whitner is cut. This scenario would not surprise me at all. Some people will call me stupid oh well so be it. He is an average professional football player. If he makes the team in Buffalo this year it will almost certanly be his last.

You do know he was injured with a shoulder separation for the last half of last year, right? Even though he was injured the coaches realized he was a better player than anyone behind him who was healthy.

Here's a good Tim Graham article from 11/03/2008 on the injury.

Safety Donte Whitner is out indefinitely with a separated right shoulder, leaving the Bills without their vocal leader and most versatile defensive back.

Coach Dick Jauron on Monday would only list Whitner as out on a week-to-week basis, while noting the injury was "fairly significant."

He ended up playing 5 of the remaining 8 games. I believe if you're going to judge him on the last half of 2008 you have to take his injury into account. JMO

Did she try to bribe him? What did he say?

I believe she went on and on about how he should be a top 5 prospect, and that he should watch the tape on him again. I think he got bumped up to an early 2nd rounder. (ended up going in the 3rd)

This was 12 years ago, though.

That's where I'm at now... reminds me of the excuses for Puddinhead Williams back-in-the-day:

"Pucillo is the one who sucks, not Big Mike!" :wallbash:

"If only he had a real OL coach, just wait and see what JMac will do with him!" :cry:

"He just needs more time!" :wallbash:

"It's the OC's fault, dammit!" :angry:

"Bledsoe makes everyone on the OL look bad!" :beer:

... well, that last one was fact & not an excuse lol.

But Puddinhead had NEGATIVE impact while Lil Donte has had ZERO impact, so he's not quite as bad at all. He hasn't produced on the field, but he also gets more grief than he deserves because:

1. He's mouthy, and nobody likes a little guy with a big mouth.

2. Backlash against Marv becoming GM. Most observers correctly felt that this move was ridiculous and would prove to be another disaster, but the very vocal blind minority championed his arrival & bought into all the "high-character" BS. Marv really needed to hit a home run in the 2006 draft following TD's run, the immediate reaction that weekend overall was extreme disappointment, and the players drafted that year haven't done anything since then to change the majority opinion.

Someone in another thread compared Lil Donte to Coy Wire. Coy Wire was one of the most maligned players on this board until he blocked a punt in Miami that helped the Bills beat the Felons. After that, most everyone (including myself) got off his back because he finally stepped up and demonstrated POSITIVE impact. As soon as/if ever Lil Donte does something similar on the field, I think a lot of the criticism will die down. :)

I believe she went on and on about how he should be a top 5 prospect, and that he should watch the tape on him again. I think he got bumped up to an early 2nd rounder. (ended up going in the 3rd)

This was 12 years ago, though.

In fairness to Jason Taylor's mom, well, maybe top 5 is pushing it, but I bet there were a lot of teams kicking themselves for not spending a first rounder on him.

In fairness to Jason Taylor's mom, well, maybe top 5 is pushing it, but I bet there were a lot of teams kicking themselves for not spending a first rounder on him.

Agreed. The book on him was that he had great athleticism, but was undersized. He helped pave the way for a lot of DEs being drafted recently.

...Someone in another thread compared Lil Donte to Coy Wire. Coy Wire was one of the most maligned players on this board until he blocked a punt in Miami that helped the Bills beat the Felons. After that, most everyone (including myself) got off his back because he finally stepped up and demonstrated POSITIVE impact. As soon as/if ever Lil Donte does something similar on the field, I think a lot of the criticism will die down. :lol:

Just out of curiousity, how would this POSITIVE impact be manifested on the field? What would YOU have to see to say that Whitner is making a contribution?

GO BILLS!!!

Just out of curiousity, how would this POSITIVE impact be manifested on the field? What would YOU have to see to say that Whitner is making a contribution?

GO BILLS!!!

I would like to be able to say after a Bills win that Lil Donte's performance helped us win the game... playing a key role, not a complimentary one. Simple as that. Sorry, tackling a returner in the end zone doesn't count. :lol: