The Adrian Wilson Cruise missile strike

If the T picked up Wilson, then who is going to pick up the DE/LB now freed for said Ts switch to Wilson? Pick your poison, but the general rule of thumb is leave the longest route to the QB unblocked.

Run! Run like the wind while you still can!

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... i enjoy debating and fully realize that none of it is personal (note my comment in my 2nd reply to you about the whole thing being in good fun)... o-line play--because the nuances of it are subjective to those unfamiliar with the specific play-to-play details (like you and i)--is a polarizing subject, and thus it makes great fodder for debates.

That's funny, I checked your 2nd reply to me and didn't see any mention of good fun or anything close to it. Indeed the tone of your posts sounded increasingly irritable.

- the difference between the peters play vs. elam and the walker play vs. wilson is this: once peters recognized that the eminent pressure was coming from the safety, he shifted gears and made an attempt to block elam. he didn't get there, and losman got sacked, but at least the recognition was there. walker did no such thing. arizona lined up in a 3-man front. if you're going to contend that walker's responsibility is to take an inside position to help out the interior linemen, then whom--pray tell--are the interior linemen assigned to block? sure seems to me that the center would be assigned to the NT, peters to the RE, dockery to the RILB, butler to the LILB, and walker to the LE. however, when the ILB's drop off, walker's responsibility (just like peters' vs. the jets) would be to pass the LE off to butler and pick up the outside rusher. see, this is all speculative, because you and i will NEVER know precisely how the play was supposed to be blocked. however, looking at it, that's my interpretation, and it's not as though i'm just shooting from the hip...i have been in and around the game for over 20 years (which i hate having to mention, because it makes me sound like i expect my knowledge to be respected...and that's just not true, as i'm as willing as anyone to admit i don't know what goes on in the huddle)

There were a couple MAJOR differences in the plays. The most important being the line of sight that Peters had vs. Walker's. Royal was blocking Walker's field of vision pre-snap. Arizona did NOT line up in a 3 man front. They showed 5 plus the CB cheating up plus Wilson. That was all PRE SNAP. After the line calls had been made and committed to. Walker blocked his correct responsibility given the blitz threat presented pre-snap. By that time it was too late for anyone to get to Wilson ANYWAY as he had a clear moving start. But it's a moot point to you because you refuse to believe that the safety is the QBs read and Edwards did it successfully.

I don't care what you or anyone else claim Boselli did in J-ville. He was NEVER responsible for reading a safety it's fairly safe to say.

Lastly, it's not that I REFUSE to divulge WHY the Wilson hit was illegal. It's that you should really research the WHY yourself. And it's not inconsistant at all to agree that QBs are coddled while at the same time saying that Wilson's hit was illegal. Nor is it inconsistant to agree with your premise that if TE gets up the league probably wouldn't have fined him. The league itself is very inconsistant both on the field with the refs making calls and doling out fines. But in this case, the league deemed the hit illegal and fined Wilson. I'm not sure why that's relevant to Walker's responsibility in the first place but I'd thought I'd play along.

Oh, and one more thing. Sorry. But when you say that everything you've been taught about the game, especially against the 3-4, is to block from the outside in, is the polar opposite of sound football tactics. You ALWAYS account for the middle first. It's that whole shortest distance thing again.

And now we shall both move on. Thanks for having me.

GO BILLS!!!