The Adrian Wilson Cruise missile strike

What should have happened on the (essentially season-ending) hit by Adrian Wilson?

He was never picked-up by anyone. He was out there drooling all day, and yet it unfolded like a rabbit walking into a wolf's mouth.

Should Edwards have checked out? Called a time out? Should the RB or Walker made an adjustment? What?

...or was it simply an act of god, like a hurricane?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If i remember correctly the coverage the Bills had didn't account for a blitzing safety. This is why he came through free. Trent should have recognized this and audibled. If he couldn't audible he should have called a timeout.

What should have happened on the (essentially season-ending) hit by Adrian Wilson?

He was never picked-up by anyone. He was out there drooling all day, and yet it unfolded like a rabbit walking into a wolf's mouth.

Should Edwards have checked out? Called a time out? Should the RB or Walker made an adjustment? What?

It was a nice play all around. Wilson timed his blitz perfectly, Edwards read it properly and hung in their to make a nice throw and complete the pass that he was SUPPOSED to throw given his read. Not Walker's responsbililty. Unfortunate he got hurt, but that's part of football. I'm not sure anyone could have picked up Wilson anyway. He's a GREAT player. No shame in great players making great plays. But Edwards made a great play, too.

GO BILLS!!!

If i remember correctly the coverage the Bills had didn't account for a blitzing safety. This is why he came through free. Trent should have recognized this and audibled. If he couldn't audible he should have called a timeout.

Trent made the right read. Made the right throw to the vacated area where Hardy made the catch for a 1st down. No reason for TE to call timeout. No reason to audible (assuming he hadn't, but he very well may have considering the Cards were showing LBs and a CB blitz also). He new the middle would be open. As I said, gotta give credit to Wilson for timing his blitz perfectly and, with no one in the backfield and the OL already outnumbered by blitzing LBs, there wasn't much to do accept take the hit. QBs HAVE to pay the price sometimes. And Wilson, although fined 25k for the hit, should have been penalized as well. Trent did NOTHING wrong on that play. Nor did anyone miss a blocking assignment.

GO BILLS!!!

Makes good sense.

Trent delivered a first down in the face of that certain blast, but to me, I'm not sure he ever made it back 100%.

It was a nice play all around. Wilson timed his blitz perfectly, Edwards read it properly and hung in their to make a nice throw and complete the pass that he was SUPPOSED to throw given his read. Not Walker's responsbililty. Unfortunate he got hurt, but that's part of football. I'm not sure anyone could have picked up Wilson anyway. He's a GREAT player. No shame in great players making great plays. But Edwards made a great play, too.

GO BILLS!!!

sorry, but the tackle has the ability to call a line audible if he sees the blitz coming and it's not accounted for in the blocking scheme.

in an off-season where this board has been so adamantly critical of last season's left tackle, i think maybe we can attribute an unblocked player to the other side of the line as well.

Trent made the right read. Made the right throw to the vacated area where Hardy made the catch for a 1st down. No reason for TE to call timeout. No reason to audible (assuming he hadn't, but he very well may have considering the Cards were showing LBs and a CB blitz also). He new the middle would be open. As I said, gotta give credit to Wilson for timing his blitz perfectly and, with no one in the backfield and the OL already outnumbered by blitzing LBs, there wasn't much to do accept take the hit. QBs HAVE to pay the price sometimes. And Wilson, although fined 25k for the hit, should have been penalized as well. Trent did NOTHING wrong on that play. Nor did anyone miss a blocking assignment.

GO BILLS!!!

The way Edwards and the offense were rolling up to that point (long, game winning drives to win games, etc), I'm not sure about the wisdom of "taking one for the team" for the sake of a first down. Frankly, I think he should have taken a time out, especially knowing Wilson (and his past history) was scott free. I know, hindsight, but what will happen next time? Same thing?

Im sure he did check the play to a quick pass (which he did) Trent did 100% the right thing, it was just unfortunate it was a dirty hit.

I agree about the hit. Adrian had his hat right underneath Trent's, and drove him to, and through the turf. Cost Wilson 25 grand, and no penalty called.

sorry, but the tackle has the ability to call a line audible if he sees the blitz coming and it's not accounted for in the blocking scheme.

in an off-season where this board has been so adamantly critical of last season's left tackle, i think maybe we can attribute an unblocked player to the other side of the line as well.

Now the tackle is calling audibles to account for blitzing safeties? Sorry. Safety is the QB's read. Secondly, Royal was lined up to Walker's right and never even got in the way. Thirdly, the Cards showed LB blitz to the middle and that's the first responsibility. The old shortest distance between two points theory. Fourthly, Edwards made a great read and got the ball to the vacated area for a first down. A GREAT play. I'll even give credit to Hardy for getting to the spot as well.

Wilson did a good job of first disguising and then getting a running jump on the snap and NOBODY, not Christ himself, would have had a shot as an OT at slowing him down.

But go ahead and blame Walker for that play if you want. But you couldn't be more innacurate in your assessment.

GO BILLS!!!

Call a timeout during the play?

Not perfectly; he was late. Trent got the throw off, right?

Nice play by TE; bad luck that he got injured.

OK, let's nit-pick a little more then. How about 'perfectly' relative to the running start he got before the snap of the ball.

Great play by Edwards, indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

The way Edwards and the offense were rolling up to that point (long, game winning drives to win games, etc), I'm not sure about the wisdom of "taking one for the team" for the sake of a first down. Frankly, I think he should have taken a time out, especially knowing Wilson (and his past history) was scott free. I know, hindsight, but what will happen next time? Same thing?

Perhaps next time he doesn't take a cheap shot and gets up.

You can't take a time out during a play. He wasn't thinking of taking one for the team, regardless how it turned out. That aside, by reading the safety, TE KNEW he had a GREAT opportunity and he took advantage. It was a GREAT play. It was just unfortunate he got hurt. Sh*T happens in football.

GO BILLS!!!

Any time until the ball is snapped.

Wilson didn't descend from the heavens. He was cheating up for a long, long time. Who didn't see it?

I was joking. People need to get a sense of humor around here!

If every blitz was picked up what would be the point. Some guys show blitz and then pull back. Give credit to the Cardinals on that play.

Any time until the ball is snapped.

Wilson didn't descend from the heavens. He was cheating up for a long, long time. Who didn't see it?

And once again, Edwards made the correct read and saw a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the vacated area and made a GREAT play. There was NO REASON ON EARTH for him to call timeout when he had the advantage he wanted. He read Wilson (although some would have you believe Walker should have read him) and MADE THE PLAY. A QBs dream.

Here's what it sounds like you're saying:

Trent: I better call a timeout because the personnel package we have doesn't account for the blitzing safety and I could get hurt.

Football is not for pu**ies and Edwards made a great play. Your T/O proposal makes no sense from any football perspective.

GO BILLS!!!

Now the tackle is calling audibles to account for blitzing safeties? Sorry. Safety is the QB's read. Secondly, Royal was lined up to Walker's right and never even got in the way. Thirdly, the Cards showed LB blitz to the middle and that's the first responsibility. The old shortest distance between two points theory. Fourthly, Edwards made a great read and got the ball to the vacated area for a first down. A GREAT play. I'll even give credit to Hardy for getting to the spot as well.

Wilson did a good job of first disguising and then getting a running jump on the snap and NOBODY, not Christ himself, would have had a shot as an OT at slowing him down.

But go ahead and blame Walker for that play if you want. But you couldn't be more innacurate in your assessment.

GO BILLS!!!

First off, there are no absolutes in amateur play analysis...what you see when you look at the play is not the end-all, be-all of incontravertible fact. It's an opinion (unless, of course, you're secretly coach kugler, which if you are, i demand you admit to it and end all speculation).

Secondly, you either never played football or have a short memory of the game, because line calls and yes, line audibles happen all the time. Linemen are responsible for coordinating and often changing their blocking assignments depending upon how the defense lines up. This is something that occurs even in high school football, and I'm certain that Walker has done it in the NFL.

Thirdly, since my access to streaming video is limited at the moment, what was royal's assignment on the play? was he assigned to help walker? was he assigned to run a pass pattern? if either of those things are true, then what exactly did he do wrong?

Fourthly, i'm more concerned with blocking the guy that actually blitzes as opposed to throwing your collective hands up in the air and saying "oops, guess we accounted for the wrong guy". other teams don't seem to have a problem blocking buffalo's blitzers, even when we (gasp!) show a blitz from one location and actually bring pressure from another area. also, what details do you know of the bills' blocking scheme that would lead you to believe that the MLB is the first assignment, since everything I was ever taught about the game indicates that, especially against a 3-4 team, blocking assignments start from the outside in?

Fifthly, what does Edwards getting rid of the ball have to do with whether or not the blitzing safety was blocked effectively? he got there, made a huge hit, and gave the QB a concussion, I'd say that's not effective blocking, perhaps you and i have a different definition of effective blocking. mine, as it were, includes not getting your QB killed.

Lastly, I find it funny that nobody (not even Christ himself no less) would've had a chance to block wilson, but the rest of this board breaks out the pitchforks for jason peters failing to block pretty much the exact same blitz from abram elam against the jets. duality? methinks so.

Perhaps next time he doesn't take a cheap shot and gets up.

You can't take a time out during a play. He wasn't thinking of taking one for the team, regardless how it turned out. That aside, by reading the safety, TE KNEW he had a GREAT opportunity and he took advantage. It was a GREAT play. It was just unfortunate he got hurt. Sh*T happens in football.

GO BILLS!!!

and p.s. that was a clean hit. just because you love trent and he got hurt doesn't mean it was a dirty play.

and p.s. that was a clean hit. just because you love trent and he got hurt doesn't mean it was a dirty play.

Actually, the way the rules read today, you cannot drive the QB down into the dirt. thus the 425 grand to wilson.

I'll bet the Bidwells payed Adrian $75 grand afterward.