Ireland Experience Anyone?

plenzmd1

So, going to Ireland in about 6 weeks . Incentive trip the wifey poo won. So, we have the first 4 days in Dublin, and I am pretty well all set with what we are doing there. Only thing I am trying to decide is whether to make a day trip to Belfast. We have to be back in Dublin each night, but the one night we are not required until after 9 PM, so I am thinking that will be a good day for that. Wife not so sure she wants to sit for 5 hours on a train, so if someone has been to both cities and can tell me if the trip is worth it greatly appreciated.

Then, we are staying for 5 more days. We are thinking of then heading to Waterford for a morning trip, then off the the town of Kenmare for two nights. We think from there we can do the Ring of Kerry before the tour buses hit(at least according to Rick Steves) one day for the Dingle Peninsula and possible the Aran Islands the next.

We are thinking a night in Galway, as well as last night in County Clare as we will be leaving from Shannon.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments all welcome. I am an Ireland virgin as they say, and have read three guide books, Rick Steves, Fodors and Eyewitness Travel Guide to Ireland who all say something differant, so kinda open at this point.

So, going to Ireland in about 6 weeks . Incentive trip the wifey poo won. So, we have the first 4 days in Dublin, and I am pretty well all set with what we are doing there. Only thing I am trying to decide is whether to make a day trip to Belfast. We have to be back in Dublin each night, but the one night we are not required until after 9 PM, so I am thinking that will be a good day for that. Wife not so sure she wants to sit for 5 hours on a train, so if someone has been to both cities and can tell me if the trip is worth it greatly appreciated.

Then, we are staying for 5 more days. We are thinking of then heading to Waterford for a morning trip, then off the the town of Kenmare for two nights. We think from there we can do the Ring of Kerry before the tour buses hit(at least according to Rick Steves) one day for the Dingle Peninsula and possible the Aran Islands the next.

We are thinking a night in Galway, as well as last night in County Clare as we will be leaving from Shannon.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments all welcome. I am an Ireland virgin as they say, and have read three guide books, Rick Steves, Fodors and Eyewitness Travel Guide to Ireland who all say something differant, so kinda open at this point.

I've heard that there are too many Americans there. It's been discovered and there are a lot of us there. Have fun anyway and I have one word for you.

WHISKEY!

I taught a class there for a couple of weeks a few years ago and am planning on staying there teaching in Galway next summer. So here goes.

Dublin...go to the Duke pub and take the Duke Pub Crawl. Great tour of all of the great writers pubs conducted by very talented Irish actors. The GPO and the Castle, Kilmainan Jail, etc. Belfast is a treat and I went to Sinn Fein headquarters and had a nice visit there (but then again I'm Catholic by birth).

Galway and Sligo are great visits (Yeats country Sligo) and you have to try the Aran Islands.

Near Shannon do the Cliffs of Moher and a night in Kilkenny is quite nice while you do the Ring of Kerry. Cork (Cobh) is neat as the immigration point for most coming to America. Have a pint on me!!

I've heard that there are too many Americans there. It's been discovered and there are a lot of us there. Have fun anyway and I have one word for you.

WHISKEY!

Near Shannon do the Cliffs of Moher and a night in Kilkenny is quite nice while you do the Ring of Kerry. Cork (Cobh) is neat as the immigration point for most coming to America. Have a pint on me!!

Every book we have read says stay the hell away from Kilkenny during July and August, as the Chef points out really does become America East during those months. The Cliffs are a must see, and we are debating Cork. Problem is with only 5 days outside of Dublin, hard to see everything that sound cool :thumbdown:

BTW, cool part is her compnay has booked out the Guiness Factory for the opening party, and right before that is when we plan to tour the Kilmainan Jail, as it looks close.

THX for the replies folks, think I read to much and make this tougher than it needs to be.

WHISKEY!

Ya ain't that the truth! Our neighbors have friends from Ireland that come and VISIT THE STATES (nice because they have two children about the same age as my son) every year. I guess they can't get enough of us. I think my neighbor gets sick of them (he is a conservative)... Me? They can always come next door to catch a sympathetic ear! :w00t:

And plenz... Have fun!!!... My in-laws went to Italy and Ireland (both their roots... Feel sorry for me because that is my wife's heritage! :thumbdown: ) and they commented on the food in both countries... They were disappointed in Italy and the offering and liked Ireland's food... Go figure! :thumbdown:

I really enjoyed Galway, and would've stayed longer if I could have. Great oysters there!

In 2007 I spent a week in Glengariff/Bantry (in the southwest), absolutely beautiful. I actually got an invite to Maureen O'hara's birthday party (it's officially 8/17) in Glengariff, but couldn't extend my stay. If you do manage to make it that far south, have a Murphy's at the Maple Leaf pub in Glengariff. You will enjoy Ireland no matter where you go.