What is This?

I was looking at Southern Florida at Google Maps when <this> massive construction (obviously man made) caught my eye. What the heck is it? Some sort of fishery? Hatchery? Google wasn't exactly fruitful since I didn't know what I was looking at.

Then I thought maybe someone at this board could clue me in.

Nuke plant? Says right on it. What are you talking about? The cooling area??

I didn't notice where it says "Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Station". That doesn't really stand out. Thanks.

But I was talking about the 4-5 miles of parallel berms to the south west. Is that a cooling water area? Or maybe a desalinization area?

I was looking at Southern Florida at Google Maps when <this> massive construction (obviously man made) caught my eye. What the heck is it? Some sort of fishery? Hatchery? Google wasn't exactly fruitful since I didn't know what I was looking at.

Then I thought maybe someone at this board could clue me in.

The nuke plant probably takes water in from the ocean for cooling (I'm guessing - I wouldn't have thought they'd use salt water though, as it's corrosive). That giant grid looks like part of the return system - cool water comes in, hot (or "very warm") water goes out into that grid, cools to ambient, and then goes back into the ocean.

But that's a pretty bad guess on my part, if only because I can think of a lot of reasons NOT to design a system that way.

I didn't notice where it says "Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Station". That doesn't really stand out. Thanks.

But I was talking about the 4-5 miles of parallel berms to the south west. Is that a cooling water area? Or maybe a desalinization area?

:rolleyes:

Does seem that water is rushing into that area? Don't rightly know. One area looks like a spoil area... That is area where they put fill and dredge material. ??

The nuke plant probably takes water in from the ocean for cooling (I'm guessing - I wouldn't have thought they'd use salt water though, as it's corrosive). That giant grid looks like part of the return system - cool water comes in, hot (or "very warm") water goes out into that grid, cools to ambient, and then goes back into the ocean.

But that's a pretty bad guess on my part, if only because I can think of a lot of reasons NOT to design a system that way.

San Onofre in San Diego county has been using salt water cooling for a long time.

Not too bad of a guess. I did find this. It is a cooling water system. I'm guessing freshwater because of the "closed system" but the answer isn't definitive.

Water used in the reactor and most other plant systems is piped in from the Miami-Dade municipal water supply. We then purify the water at the plant to reduce mineral deposits that could otherwise reduce equipment efficiency and we test the water quality routinely in the plant's on-site laboratory. A separate supply of water that cools the turbine steam supply for reuse comes from a unique, closed system of 36 interconnected canals. The canals act like a giant radiator to cool the water in a two-day, 168-mile journey before it is circulated back to the condenser for reuse.

I thought the same... There has to be desalination... No? Anway if they are getting it from inland, it is pretty brackish. There are all kinds of canals inland... Who knows what is going on there. From a casual observer, it looks like they are taking it from the sea, maybe not??

San Onofre in San Diego county has been using salt water cooling for a long time.

Interesting. Would the water being returned (heated) be a problem with saltwater?... They must have anti-corrsion in place. Can they use cathodic protection with saltwater? I know with freshwater you can. Were I work is really built on a metal structure and even going back 50 years there were cathodic protection systems in place.

Not too bad of a guess. I did find this. It is a cooling water system. I'm guessing freshwater because of the "closed system" but the answer isn't definitive.

Water used in the reactor and most other plant systems is piped in from the Miami-Dade municipal water supply. We then purify the water at the plant to reduce mineral deposits that could otherwise reduce equipment efficiency and we test the water quality routinely in the plant's on-site laboratory. A separate supply of water that cools the turbine steam supply for reuse comes from a unique, closed system of 36 interconnected canals. The canals act like a giant radiator to cool the water in a two-day, 168-mile journey before it is circulated back to the condenser for reuse.

not going to lie.... i dont think that cooling canal system is going to withstand the next major hurricane to hit south florida...

not going to lie.... i dont think that cooling canal system is going to withstand the next major hurricane to hit south florida...

reactors are programmed to shut down in emergencies. And hurricanes are unlikely to be an emergency.