Why Does Anyone Give A $#!+ About Soccer

i did not watch the youtube clip, it it is a soccer player flopping, then I bet its no different than a basketball player flopping on a close call, or a WR or DB falling on a pass play to try to draw a penalty.....

Maybe. Yet, it (flopping) is REALLY blatant in soccer to the point where it is laughable. I don't know what it is? Flopping does make an extremely boring game a little entertaining. You gotta admit, soccer is seriously flawed endeavor. Almost any team has a chance to win by playing a defensive game... That isn't too bad... But, IMO it "corrupts" the game. That is why I think most Americans see it for what it is. Granted it is an "every person" sport and not elitist like say hockey (where it takes a ton of money just to break say your child into the game) is. Hockey has the same flaws, but is worlds ahead in its entertainment value. With regards to hockey and flopping, at least there are sticks, blood, and the threat of paraylsis looming... :flirt::lol:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball is far more exciting, even know it can be a snoozefest. Baseball snoozefests won't end with shoot outs... In baseball, 4 runs can be scored off a single swing of the bat.

I agree. A low scoring pitchers duel can be as exciting as a 9-8 final score. One of the best games I ever watched was Randy Johnson throwing a perfect game in a 2-0 win against Atlanta in '04. It didn't hurt that I had $200.00 on the under.

Sorry that the
sailed right over your head. You sir, are the one that just made a HUGE Moron out of yourself. :lol:

"There are no ties, or crying for that matter, in baseball. "

very popular reference?

ok :rolleyes:

I agree. A low scoring pitchers duel can be as exciting as a 9-8 final score. One of the best games I ever watched was Randy Johnson throwing a perfect game in a 2-0 win against Atlanta in '04. It didn't hurt that I had $200.00 on the under.

I completely disagree.

I'm a Mets fan, and I wanted to watch a great pitching matchup. I went when Johan Santana and Cole Hamels were facing each other a few years back. The pitching was great, so great that 5 innings in I realized I never wanted to watch a great "pitching matchup" again. I'd watch on TV, its probably much more exciting. But when you're there, in person, with nothing to do except watch a guy throw to the catcher once every minute, with barely any swings, hits or runs... it becomes excruciatingly boring.

I'll never go when two great pitchers are facing each other again. I'll watch it on TV.

I completely disagree.

I'm a Mets fan, and I wanted to watch a great pitching matchup. I went when Johan Santana and Cole Hamels were facing each other a few years back. The pitching was great, so great that 5 innings in I realized I never wanted to watch a great "pitching matchup" again. I'd watch on TV, its probably much more exciting. But when you're there, in person, with nothing to do except watch a guy throw to the catcher once every minute, with barely any swings, hits or runs... it becomes excruciatingly boring.

I'll never go when two great pitchers are facing each other again. I'll watch it on TV.

It probably is better suited for TV, where you can see replays. I like baseball, but unless it's the Yankees in the playoffs, it takes a bet on the game to hold my interest for 3+ hours.

soccer fans = cool

soccer disregarders = cool

soccer haters = cool

soccer haters who go on and on about why soccer fans should not be soccer fans = douchebaggery

I never said you shouldn't be a fan. I don't hate the game either. It is what it is. Yet, at ever turn I will throw my opinion out there why it is a tragically flawed and inferior (to other games) game. I don't disregard it either, very much a force to be reckoned with.

I think you need another category.

:rolleyes:

I completely disagree.

How did that game end?

How did that game end?

I've gone to many Mets/Phillies games, so I hope I'm not mixing them up in my mind, but I believe it was the game where it ended on a controversial call, the baserunner sliding into second and taking out the 2nd basemen out of the base path.

Could be wrong, but I think that was the same game.

I've gone to many Mets/Phillies games, so I hope I'm not mixing them up in my mind, but I believe it was the game where it ended on a controversial call, the baserunner sliding into second and taking out the 2nd basemen out of the base path.

Could be wrong, but I think that was the same game.

But, was it the right call? In your opinion. Nothing wrong with taking out the second baseman... That is where soccer differs.

But, was it the right call? In your opinion. Nothing wrong with taking out the second baseman... That is where soccer differs.

The Mets had a man on 1st and 3rd, and needed a run to tie. It was the bottom of the 9th. All we needed was one hit to send home the runner from 3rd. The ball was hit, our runner from 3rd scored, but the runner from 1st took out the second baseman, stopping him from throwing to first to get the out and end the game. The ump called it, and the game was over. It was the right call IMO.

I never said you shouldn't be a fan. I don't hate the game either. It is what it is. Yet, at ever turn I will throw my opinion out there why it is a tragically flawed and inferior (to other games) game. I don't disregard it either, very much a force to be reckoned with.

I think you need another category.

I don't agree that it's "tragically flawed" at all. Knock the ball in the goal. Quite pure as sports go.

If you want to talk about flaws, we could go all day on football. Lots of penalties, TV timeouts, drawn out official reviews, bringing out the chains, etc… that suck the life out of a game. Extremely convoluted rule book. Players with certain numbers having different limitations and lining up differently. Rules change all the time based on complaints from the previous year, decided by a committee. Technological issues (headsets, possibility of stealing signals, camera angles). I can't think of another sport that requires a referee to explain to the crowd what just happened on a given play and why they ruled that way.

You could look at all these things as flaws or you could look at it as adding to the drama. In a sense, football is absolutely uniquely American. It's incredibly specialized, position by position. It's also the most litigious sport. Every single thing is disputed and reviewed and discussed and revised. To me, it's all part of the game that I love.

Having said all that, the diving in soccer does bother me sometimes. I think players that dive should be mocked, laughed at, called pussies and regarded as fools who take away from the beauty of the game.

The Mets had a man on 1st and 3rd, and needed a run to tie. It was the bottom of the 9th. All we needed was one hit to send home the runner from 3rd. The ball was hit, our runner from 3rd scored, but the runner from 1st took out the second baseman, stopping him from throwing to first to get the out and end the game. The ump called it, and the game was over. It was the right call IMO.

Did Chase Utley have to be carried off the field on a stretcher while whining like the 2nd lead in an off-Broadway production of "Carmen"?

Baseball >> Soccer

Did Chase Utley have to be carried off the field on a stretcher while whining like the 2nd lead in an off-Broadway production of "Carmen"?

Baseball >> Soccer

A whole generation of baseball "superstars" has smeared disgrace all over the record books.

Baseball is not "better than" soccer.

A whole generation of baseball "superstars" has smeared disgrace all over the record books.

I love almost any sport, including baseball, but the baseball of my youth is gone. I totally agree that it's become a complete disgrace, and I'll never be able to recapture what it was like to be a baseball fan as a kid. With soccer it's been almost the exact opposite. Being that there's quite literally an entire WORLD of great soccer out there to discover, my love for the game in terms of being a spectator has grown exponentially over the last ten years or so. Whether it's the top national leagues around the world, the Champions League, the Gold Cup, Euro Cup, World Cup, etc, etc, etc, etc....there is great soccer being played everywhere. I could turn on a game and have no fuggin clue about either team, and sometimes not even understand the language in which its being broadcast....but I'll watch the entire match and love every minute.

It still takes a back seat to the NFL for me, but the game has become a solid second in terms of what I look forward to watching.

I love almost any sport, including baseball, but the baseball of my youth is gone. I totally agree that it's become a complete disgrace, and I'll never be able to recapture what it was like to be a baseball fan as a kid. With soccer it's been almost the exact opposite. Being that there's quite literally an entire WORLD of great soccer out there to discover, my love for the game in terms of being a spectator has grown exponentially over the last ten years or so. Whether it's the top national leagues around the world, the Champions League, the Gold Cup, Euro Cup, World Cup, etc, etc, etc, etc....there is great soccer being played everywhere. I could turn on a game and have no fuggin clue about either team, and sometimes not even understand the language in which its being broadcast....but I'll watch the entire match and love every minute.

It still takes a back seat to the NFL for me, but the game has become a solid second in terms of what I look forward to watching.

Sports are great. There's always some jackass trying to cheat or punching his girlfriend in the offseason, but that does not make me less of a fan. There's great drama in all kinds of games. I can get wrapped up in stuff that I'm not even a big fan of. Yesterday I watched the men's Wimbledon final and it was absolutely amazing! But I'm not really much of a tennis fan overall. Same thing for this year's SU lacrosse final. Holy crap, I'll probably never forget the crazy ending of that game. I've personally been involved in some hugely entertaining (but low skill level) contests of basketball, ping pong, football, soccer, tennis, sled racing, broomball, etc...

I just boggles my mind that some people would go out of their way to argue that a given sport is not only not to their individual liking, but somehow intrinsically inferior or not worthy of a fan's attention. Just a stupid waste of time. It's like arguing about your favorite flavor of ice cream. Stupid. They're all pretty damn good.

Only in the self-centered, sheltered, egomaniacal "America" would someone say that baseball is a better sport. :rolleyes: