Maybe not a household name

Buftex

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...s-Svengali.html

Wow, I guess this just slipped past me during the holiday, and the Steve McNair death. Allen Klein, "the biggest bastard in the valley" passed away. He was the manager for the Beatles during their final, acrimonious days...Lennon, Harrison and Starr chose to be managed by him, while McCartney went with his wifes' father...it was the final rift that split the group up.

He also managed the Stones at the time...he renegotiated their deal with Polygram, for a sweet immediate payoff...only problem was, unrealized at the time, was that their Polygram recordings would belong to the label. When the Stones broke away from Polygram, they lost the royalties to all those recordings..the cash went to Klein.

About 5 years ago, during the "Rolling Stones 40th Anniversary" blitz, Keith Richards was going through the Polygram vaults, to find unreleased recordings. They were getting ready to release a box set of previously unreleased stuff...Keith said that it was a thrill to go through the stuff...he said the one down side to it, though, is that he realized how good they once were, and how far away from that they had gotten.

Apparently, at the last second, Jagger, who had no interest in the project, but had given his blessing to Keith, put his foot down.

Jagger said he wouldn't want to put another penny in Allen Kleins' pocket. Richards claimed that it was more that Mick didn't want to be competing with his past...oh well...as a huge Stones fan, I am hoping that Kelins' death will expediate the release of some of this stuff...I have lots of studio bootlegs from that era, and there is some amazing stuff that never saw the light of day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...s-Svengali.html

Wow, I guess this just slipped past me during the holiday, and the Steve McNair death. Allen Klein, "the biggest bastard in the valley" passed away. He was the manager for the Beatles during their final, acrimonious days...Lennon, Harrison and Starr chose to be managed by him, while McCartney went with his wifes' father...it was the final rift that split the group up.

He also managed the Stones at the time...he renegotiated their deal with Polygram, for a sweet immediate payoff...only problem was, unrealized at the time, was that their Polygram recordings would belong to the label. When the Stones broke away from Polygram, they lost the royalties to all those recordings..the cash went to Klein.

About 5 years ago, during the "Rolling Stones 40th Anniversary" blitz, Keith Richards was going through the Polygram vaults, to find unreleased recordings. They were getting ready to release a box set of previously unreleased stuff...Keith said that it was a thrill to go through the stuff...he said the one down side to it, though, is that he realized how good they once were, and how far away from that they had gotten.

Apparently, at the last second, Jagger, who had no interest in the project, but had given his blessing to Keith, put his foot down.

Jagger said he wouldn't want to put another penny in Allen Kleins' pocket. Richards claimed that it was more that Mick didn't want to be competing with his past...oh well...as a huge Stones fan, I am hoping that Kelins' death will expediate the release of some of this stuff...I have lots of studio bootlegs from that era, and there is some amazing stuff that never saw the light of day.

He WAS a shiester (sp?). Back to your first point, the Beatles end was imminent before Klein. Harrison had quit- then returned. Starr quit- then returned. Ms. Eastman and Ms. Ono were -directly or indirectly, depending on your view- pulling Lennon & Macca in other directions and their ship was rudderless after Epstiens' suicide.

I'd love to hear some new Stones, especially with the gritty sound of their beginning.

He WAS a shiester (sp?). Back to your first point, the Beatles end was imminent before Klein. Harrison had quit- then returned. Starr quit- then returned. Ms. Eastman and Ms. Ono were -directly or indirectly, depending on your view- pulling Lennon & Macca in other directions and their ship was rudderless after Epstiens' suicide.

I'd love to hear some new Stones, especially with the gritty sound of their beginning.

Funny, but Keith Richards is on record as holding no animosity toward Klein, as, he says "in the music business, somebody is always screwing somebody. He got us a great deal at the time, and it just happened to turn out to be a better deal for him in the long run...that is the cost of doing business."

As for the Beatles, it seems like when they decided to stop touring, that was, in effect, pretty much the end of them as a "band", rather than a group of musicians calling themselves, as a collective, the Beatles. The Klein move is what just sort of expediated everything, I think.

Funny, but Keith Richards is on record as holding no animosity toward Klein, as, he says "in the music business, somebody is always screwing somebody. He got us a great deal at the time, and it just happened to turn out to be a better deal for him in the long run...that is the cost of doing business."

As for the Beatles, it seems like when they decided to stop touring, that was, in effect, pretty much the end of them as a "band", rather than a group of musicians calling themselves, as a collective, the Beatles. The Klein move is what just sort of expediated everything, I think.

But Klein was still a major league scumbag. No--he didnt cause the Beatles to break up...but the guy made people shudder.

In September 1967, Klein took over as sole manager after buying out Oldham. Klein oversaw the most tumultuous period in the group's history with the fall-out from Jagger and Keith Richards' drug-bust earlier that year and Brian Jones' death in July 1969. A year later, with their Decca contract at an end, the group decided to make a clean break and oust Klein, who had grown increasingly incommunicative, and to start their own label with distribution from Ahmet Ertegun's Atlantic Records.

In 1971, the Stones launched various lawsuits against Klein and his companies, accusing him of "false or fraudulent" representations. At some point, Jagger famously confronted Klein in a hotel corridor, asking him: "Where is my !@#$ing money?" In May 1972, a final settlement was thrashed out between the Stones and their former manager during a 24-hour session (supposedly captured on film on Jagger's orders).

Klein and ABKCO kept the rights to all past Stones recordings and the administration of their Sixties publishing while the band were supposed to deliver one more album for their former manager and to receive $1m. "The settlement means that Allen Klein never has anything else to do with us," commented Jagger at the time, a statement that would come back to haunt him. The Stones' former business manager maintained a tight grip on the band's catalogue and insisted the group couldn't release a live album containing Sixties material until 1977.

He kept issuing compilation albums – Milestones, Rock'n'Rolling Stones, No Stone Unturned, Hot Rocks – and occasionally ended up in court when he dragged his feet over royalty payments. In the summer of 1975, as the band embarked on their first tour with guitarist Ronnie Wood, ABKCO released Metamorphosis, an album of out-takes and alternative tracks from the Sixties, while the Stones countered with their own Made In The Shade collection.

In 2002, a new agreement enabled the group to issue the 40 Licks double CD career overview. At the end of 2007, Klein proved how adept he was at the small print when Rolled Gold +, the extended version of Rolled Gold, the best-selling Stones compilation from the mid-Seventies, appeared with "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" from their classic 1971 album Sticky Fingers because these tracks had been recorded while they were still technically under contract to Klein.

In September 1967, Klein took over as sole manager after buying out Oldham. Klein oversaw the most tumultuous period in the group's history with the fall-out from Jagger and Keith Richards' drug-bust earlier that year and Brian Jones' death in July 1969. A year later, with their Decca contract at an end, the group decided to make a clean break and oust Klein, who had grown increasingly incommunicative, and to start their own label with distribution from Ahmet Ertegun's Atlantic Records.

In 1971, the Stones launched various lawsuits against Klein and his companies, accusing him of "false or fraudulent" representations. At some point, Jagger famously confronted Klein in a hotel corridor, asking him: "Where is my !@#$ing money?" In May 1972, a final settlement was thrashed out between the Stones and their former manager during a 24-hour session (supposedly captured on film on Jagger's orders).

Klein and ABKCO kept the rights to all past Stones recordings and the administration of their Sixties publishing while the band were supposed to deliver one more album for their former manager and to receive $1m. "The settlement means that Allen Klein never has anything else to do with us," commented Jagger at the time, a statement that would come back to haunt him. The Stones' former business manager maintained a tight grip on the band's catalogue and insisted the group couldn't release a live album containing Sixties material until 1977.

He kept issuing compilation albums – Milestones, Rock'n'Rolling Stones, No Stone Unturned, Hot Rocks – and occasionally ended up in court when he dragged his feet over royalty payments. In the summer of 1975, as the band embarked on their first tour with guitarist Ronnie Wood, ABKCO released Metamorphosis, an album of out-takes and alternative tracks from the Sixties, while the Stones countered with their own Made In The Shade collection.

In 2002, a new agreement enabled the group to issue the 40 Licks double CD career overview. At the end of 2007, Klein proved how adept he was at the small print when Rolled Gold +, the extended version of Rolled Gold, the best-selling Stones compilation from the mid-Seventies, appeared with "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" from their classic 1971 album Sticky Fingers because these tracks had been recorded while they were still technically under contract to Klein.

Good job!

A buddy of mine is a friend of Allen Kleins' son. He tells that there is quite a bit of unreleased stuff that Keith Richards has already gone through, to find the gems... those tracks were supposed to be a box set, which, turned out to be (yawn) the "40 Licks" compilation. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this stuff sees the light of day. I don't know if Allen Kleins' death will have any affect, but Jagger was on record, at the time, as saying he didn't want to earn another penny for Klein.

I heard Richards explain, at one point, he didn't have that much animosity for Klein, because, upon taking management reins from Oldham, Klein had demanded that Decca open up the books, and he went through, and figured that the Stones had been owed millions in royalties, never paid to them...Decca finally paid them, and, it was so much money, the band had to relocate to Paris, to avoid paying taxes in the UK...exiles on the French Riveria....

As Keith painted it, Klein got them money they were owed, and they paid the price for it, by, basically, turning their catalog over to him...they learned a valuable lesson, and became wealthier than they ever imagined... no harm, no foul!

BTW- If I recall, when the Stones parted way with Klein, they were contractually obligated to provide one new track to ABKO...it was to be a single...not wanting to delay their departure, the band delivered the ribald classic "!@#$sucker Blues", the story of a school boy in the big, dirty city, resorting to homosexual prostitution to make ends meet...the Stones had delivered their track, and were under no more obligation to Klein...of course, the track was never officially released, but has been heavily bootlegged over the years...