Saudi's give nod to Israeli strike on Iran

The Arab Saudis have zero allegences (sp?) to the Persian Iranians. And to the Saudis, a nuclear Iran would be bad for business.

Not shocking at all.

Or any other of the Arab states. Whenever my brother-in-law goes over there (Dubai, usually), the biggest worry anyone expresses is about a nuclear Iran.

This presumed Saudi-Israeli agreement can certainly lead to some odd dynamics, though. If Israel and Iran start trading blows, where does the Arab world sit? Any position you want to presume they take in such a conflict leads to some interesting situations.

Or any other of the Arab states. Whenever my brother-in-law goes over there (Dubai, usually), the biggest worry anyone expresses is about a nuclear Iran.

This presumed Saudi-Israeli agreement can certainly lead to some odd dynamics, though. If Israel and Iran start trading blows, where does the Arab world sit? Any position you want to presume they take in such a conflict leads to some interesting situations.

They will publicly condemn Israel, but behind the scenes they will be applauding it...

Very odd timing on the release of the leak, if there was a leak. If anything this should strengthen the current Iranian regime, as it furthers their theory that Iran is surrounded by enemies and needs the nuke capability to protect itself.

They will publicly condemn Israel, but behind the scenes they will be applauding it...

Did I not specifically say "trading blows"? You know, as opposed to a single strike or set of strikes by the Israelis?

The Arab world won't be in a position to "publicly condemn, privately condone" anything if that happens.

Did I not specifically say "trading blows"? You know, as opposed to a single strike or set of strikes by the Israelis?

The Arab world won't be in a position to "publicly condemn, privately condone" anything if that happens.

Maybe you are right, but it is a dangerous tightrope that the Arab world could be facing. No matter what the Israelis do, they will always be seen as the enemies in that region of the world, and to support them could have all sorts of implications for the leaders out in the middle east.

My guess is if they do go into a bout of "trading blows", that initially the Arab countries would be somewhat quiet, and as time passes, and the Israeli attacks become more punishing, they will come out with their standard condemnation statements against the Israelis and after it seems that the Israelis have done what they needed to do, and the political pressure mounts on the Arab leaders for not supporting the Iranians, they will criticize the Israeli's more forcefully.

I'm not sure Iran has any capacity to project power other than through terrorist proxies.

Which they would do, of course - but 'trading blows' is a bit misleading as a descriptive. Iran would let loose with a thousand pinpricks, and probably shut down the straits of Hormuz for a time. Israel may or may not (not, I think) respond with further strikes on Iran proper.

I think there would be very little "trading blows" between Israel and Iran. Israel is thought to have between 65-80 nuclear weapons along with the capability of hitting anywhere in Iran. Israel is looking for an excuse to flatten Iran's nuclear facilities and any direct attack by Iran on Israel would be smacking the hornet's nest.