RIP Compuserve

/dev/null

My first foray into the online world was Compuserve, back when your member number was your online ID, and 1200 Buad was high-speed.

Did you use an acoustic coupler on your phone?

Did you use an acoustic coupler on your phone?

I did!

Although, it was for The Source, 300 baud. CompuServe came a short time later.

My first foray into the online world was Compuserve, back when your member number was your online ID, and 1200 Buad was high-speed.

I used CServe for a long time. The DOSCIM fit onto a 1.44Mb diskette. It was quite fast, even at 1200 baud.

For forums, you used your own (billing) name. So politeness and good manners were the order of the day - no hiding behind pseudonyms.

When AOL bought them out and allowed aliases, I quit and used Prodigy for a time.

Modems - I probably owned 7 or 8 through the years. I still have a v.92 external serial modem in case the cable connection fails.

I did!

Although, it was for The Source, 300 baud. CompuServe came a short time later.

I used one, too. Although the memories are a little bit hazy and don't remember the service, or circumstances. I still had it in a box, up until a few years ago.

Man, you guys are O-L-D. :flirt:

(AOL here, circa 1994/Windows 3.1. Before that, my only online access was the compsci center at PSU while I was there in the mid-to-late '80s.)

Man, you guys are O-L-D. :thumbdown:

(AOL here, circa 1994/Windows 3.1. Before that, my only online access was the compsci center at PSU while I was there in the mid-to-late '80s.)

I was on AOL first in 1995 and not that I'm younger than any of you, probably the contrary. I had a job where I worked 12-14 hours a day six days a week and the only computer we had was the system that sent the orders into the kitchen.