How big of a blunder was it?

It's easy to second guess the coaching staff, but it was a big time error not making number 21 the starting RB right out of the hop.

Can anyone argue that the Bills would be any worse than 5-3 now if Willis had the rock all along? 6-2 is a real possibility.

Oh well, if wishes were fishes the Dolphins wouldn't be trying to schedule UB for next year.

As an aside, if attention is what NJ Sue is after she sure has gotten it - 17 pages and nearly 5,000 views over someone who can't figure out google. Ignore her and maybe she'll become a Jets fan and stand in front of Giants stadium asking innane questions of the faithful.

It's easy to second guess the coaching staff, but it was a big time error not making number 21 the starting RB right out of the hop.

Can anyone argue that the Bills would be any worse than 5-3 now if Willis had the rock all along? 6-2 is a real possibility.

Oh well, if wishes were fishes the Dolphins wouldn't be trying to schedule UB for next year.

I don't have a problem with the Bills keeping him on the bench until recently. There's no harm in making sure he was fully healed...better safe than sorry and averting potential disaster.

Willis clearly has gotten better and stronger as the season has gone on. He simply was not strong enough in August to be given the starting job. The line has gotten better, the schemes have gotten more refined, the OL is not getting holding penalties stopping drives, Nate Clements is not forgetting the first thing coaches tell you when you're seven years old, there are a lot of reasons that the team is starting to click now. I do not think, even in hindsight, that Willis would have been able to carry the load then like he is now. You could see that he wasnt as fast, or in as good of shape. He still takes himself out to get breathers. You saw it in the Baltimore game when he couldnt run the length of the field on the interception. He is close but it is just now getting to where he is 100% back in shape, let alone speed.

Willis clearly has gotten better and stronger as the season has gone on. He simply was not strong enough in August to be given the starting job. The line has gotten better, the schemes have gotten more refined, the OL is not getting holding penalties stopping drives, Nate Clements is not forgetting the first thing coaches tell you when you're seven years old, there are a lot of reasons that the team is starting to click now. I do not think, even in hindsight, that Willis would have been able to carry the load then like he is now. You could see that he wasnt as fast, or in as good of shape. He still takes himself out to get breathers. You saw it in the Baltimore game when he couldnt run the length of the field on the interception. He is close but it is just now getting to where he is 100% back in shape, let alone speed.

107244[/snapback]

Right on! Willis was not yet ready (physically) to carry the load. Additionally before he started to play more the coaches said that he had started commiting himself in terms of preperation and in meetings, which to me seems to imply he MAY NOT have been doing that earlier in the season.

I think the time on the bench helped Willis to realize that making it in the NFL involves a FULL weeks effort, not just Sunday.

If Willis was not prepared in those opening weeks, the coaches did the right thing.

RUN WILLIS!!!!