Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

My rankings are;

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. ROTS

4. ROTJ

5. AOTC

6. TPM

Empire rocks. Hoth is destroyed, Solo through the asteroid field, Cloud city betrayal, Han encased in carbonite, Luke finds out DV is his daddy and loses his hand like his pappa.

ANH - The first ever and the beginning of Lukes training.

ROTS - Harkens back to the original three for action and overall script. We find out how Anakin becomes DV.

ROTJ - Luke destroys the Sith and DV lives up to his destiny of restoring balance to the universe. Princess Leia in a metal bikini, Luke kicks the crap out of a raptor.

AOTC - The most romantic of all of the films but it also has a lot of information. Boba Fett, the clone army, Yoda fights.

TPM - Darth Maul is about the only thing good here. Not surprising because they have to set up the whole story and those are usually the worst. Like a TV pilot. After 4,5 and six were made I'd still expect more. Also three words against it; Jar Jar Binks. 'Nuff said.

Personally, I'd reverse your 1 and 2 (presuming we're talking about the cinematic release of Episode 4, and not the re-done POS release where Greedo shoots first instead of Han). Reason being that, while Episodes 4 and 5 both share many of the same strengths, 4 retells the classic "hero" story that repeats ad infinitum in literature (all the way back to the Legend of Gilgamesh straight through to Jaws - the movie, not the book), but manages to do so in a way that was at the time truly fresh and new and not at all cliche, which is a remarkable achievement.

Personally, I'd reverse your 1 and 2 (presuming we're talking about the cinematic release of Episode 4, and not the re-done POS release where Greedo shoots first instead of Han). Reason being that, while Episodes 4 and 5 both share many of the same strengths, 4 retells the classic "hero" story that repeats ad infinitum in literature (all the way back to the Legend of Gilgamesh straight through to Jaws - the movie, not the book), but manages to do so in a way that was at the time truly fresh and new and not at all cliche, which is a remarkable achievement.

You're right about 4 being a classic story. It could've been set in the old west or 30's gangsters. It's a timeless tale but I still like ESB more. It's a thin line but ESB beats 4 by a very slim margin.

wtf, you and i agree on something? :thumbsup:

I'm concerned about this as well. :wallbash:

my order:

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back (I actually think its a better made movie than the first, but I enjoy the first more)

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. Phantom Menace

6. Attack of the Clones

i basically hated all 3 sequels. They lost me at midichlorians. Revenge of the Sith was the best of them - but the Vader suit scene at the end was embarrassingly bad. Phantom Menace was lousy but had the best light sabre fight out of any of the movies - too bad the kid can't act and some add wizard thought Jar Jar Binks was a good idea.

Attack of the Clones is actually one of my least favorite movies of all time. those films cover quite the spectrum.

my order:

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back (I actually think its a better made movie than the first, but I enjoy the first more)

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. Phantom Menace

6. Attack of the Clones

i basically hated all 3 sequels. They lost me at midichlorians. Revenge of the Sith was the best of them - but the Vader suit scene at the end was embarrassingly bad. Phantom Menace was lousy but had the best light sabre fight out of any of the movies - too bad the kid can't act and some add wizard thought Jar Jar Binks was a good idea.

Attack of the Clones is actually one of my least favorite movies of all time. those films cover quite the spectrum.

The more I watch the Vader scene in ROTS the less I despise it. It's not as bad as it first seems. JMO

Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Episode IV - A new Hope

Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

My rankings are;

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. ROTS

4. ROTJ

5. AOTC

6. TPM

Empire rocks. Hoth is destroyed, Solo through the asteroid field, Cloud city betrayal, Han encased in carbonite, Luke finds out DV is his daddy and loses his hand like his pappa.

ROTS - Harkens back to the original three for action and overall script. We find out how Anakin becomes DV.

ROTJ - Luke destroys the Sith and DV lives up to his destiny of restoring balance to the universe. Princess Leia in a metal bikini, Luke kicks the crap out of a raptor.

AOTC - The most romantic of all of the films but it also has a lot of information. Boba Fett, the clone army, Yoda fights.

TPM - Darth Maul is about the only thing good here. Not surprising because they have to set up the whole story and those are usually the worst. Like a TV pilot. After 4,5 and six were made I'd still expect more. Also three words against it; Jar Jar Binks. 'Nuff said.

Can't argue with your rankings...at all...I agree

The thing about the prequels is that they have ROTJ syndrome. If you take out the Ewoks and a few other choice elements in ROTJ, you have a pretty damn good film. The scenes with Luke and Vader and some of the most intense in the entire dual trilogy. In fact, I typically consider the Luke hiding/Vader taunting scene at the end of ROTJ to be *the* most intense and emotional sequence in any of the movies. Then I saw Ep.III and the Anakin/Obi Wan scene edged it out a bit for me.

But anyway, the point is that about half of ep.I was pretty damn good. It's the other half and the kiddie elements that screws it up for most people. The Darth Maul scenes are really good, IMO. The only thing I didn't like about that character was his untimely end. In AOTC, there is even less to like IMO, but something like the Yoda/Dooku battle was pretty cool. The whole awkward Leia/Anakin romance thing screwed up Ep.II, but there is other stuff there to like. With Ep.III, I feel that the entire second hour is just plain awesome. It's the payoff for everything we had to endure in the first two prequels, and IMO it's very satisfying.

Okay, so here are my rankings:

1) Ep.IV...can't help it, it's the venerable classic!

2) Ep.V...most complete film of the two trilogies

3) Ep.III...the second half is just awesome...great ending.

4) Ep. VI...get rid of the furry JarJars and you have a damn good movie.

5) Ep.I...I'll never forget the anticipation and excitement surrounding this film. Better than most give it credit, IMO!

6) Ep.II...I come back to this one the least, plain and simple. Just isn't much here for me to grab on to.

Lastly, I want to say that in response to the idea that Mr. George Lucas raped my childhood....I proudly proclaim, "thank you sir, may I have another!" :thumbsup:

ESB

STAR WARS

RETURN OF THE JEDI

There are ONLY three actual Star Wars movies, sorry to say, I refuse to acknowledge the other "movies" and will not even recognize thier existence. I can't wait to share the Trilogy with my little son. I have a set of DVDs that my cousin burned me from the laser disks without all that bull sh-- Fat man edited in every time he re-releases them.

!@#$ Lucas, one hit !@#$ing wonder (Star Wars) who got lucky that other competent directors made him look good...

You're right about 4 being a classic story. It could've been set in the old west or 30's gangsters. It's a timeless tale but I still like ESB more. It's a thin line but ESB beats 4 by a very slim margin.

It has been. Off the top of my head: Fist Full of Dollars, and The Untouchables.

Name a genre, that story's been told.

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. Attack of the Clones

6. Phantom Menace

I absolutely love the original three. The newer ones are fun, but I don't think they are comparable to the original.

Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Episode IV - A new Hope

Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

My rankings are;

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. ROTS

4. ROTJ

5. AOTC

6. TPM

I agree with your list....

People knock episode 2 (justifiably) but I will never forget a theatre full of people going apesh!t when Yoda FINALLY busted out his lightsaber....it was a nerd's wet dream come to life.