Sabres sign their first FA

ricojes

wow that's dawesome!

presidents trophy and stanley cup here we come!

:unsure:

the sabres just continue to pour salt on our wounds

I'll never understand why people continue to say stuff like this. They're now 1 day into the offseason and it's already time to write off the next 3 months? Go take a look around the league and you'll see plenty of teams who did nothing at all yesterday. I guess we have to write all of them off too.

I'll never understand why people continue to say stuff like this. They're now 1 day into the offseason and it's already time to write off the next 3 months? Go take a look around the league and you'll see plenty of teams who did nothing at all yesterday. I guess we have to write all of them off too.

Yeah, teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Anaheim... Oh that's right, those teams have been in the playoffs at least once in the last few years. Look at Montreal, they realized they weren't a contender even though they made the playoffs, and were aggressive in trying to improve their roster. For a team like Buffalo that continues to under perform and not commit to winning, the lack of upgrade is an insult to the fans. Sure they'll make some minor move and bring in some 3rd line forward and declare them the savior, but they won't make any significant moves.

Yeah, teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Anaheim... Oh that's right, those teams have been in the playoffs at least once in the last few years. Look at Montreal, they realized they weren't a contender even though they made the playoffs, and were aggressive in trying to improve their roster. For a team like Buffalo that continues to under perform and not commit to winning, the lack of upgrade is an insult to the fans. Sure they'll make some minor move and bring in some 3rd line forward and declare them the savior, but they won't make any significant moves.

Montreal had essentially no one under contract. They had no choice.

The 2nd tier talent they brought in back in 2005, Teppo and Lydman worked out just fine. Those kind of trades really don't take all that much to pull off, usually just mid-round draft picks.

Yes, I realize that they have gotten some decent players over the years, but, to me, it seems this team is dying for a a marquee player, like what they lost with Drury and Briere, to make it back to being a contender. They just don't seem inclined to make those kind of moves though. I know there is a salary cap, and the Sabres mo is not to spend lavishly, but as great as they were two years ago, and the identity that they had so brilliantly cultivated for themselves, just seems like a flash in the pan at this point.

Yes, I realize that they have gotten some decent players over the years, but, to me, it seems this team is dying for a a marquee player, like what they lost with Drury and Briere, to make it back to being a contender. They just don't seem inclined to make those kind of moves though. I know there is a salary cap, and the Sabres mo is not to spend lavishly, but as great as they were two years ago, and the identity that they had so brilliantly cultivated for themselves, just seems like a flash in the pan at this point.

Just out of curiousity, which marquee player do you think would've bit a good move? Also, I'd say that Drury and Briere were never marquee players. They were good players made better by the system and the players around them. Look at everything they've done, or better yet, haven't done since leaving.

If we're going to look at what they've done in the past, that's what they need to do. They need to bring in some of these mid-level guys through trade again and make them better than they are.

Just out of curiousity, which marquee player do you think would've bit a good move? Also, I'd say that Drury and Briere were never marquee players. They were good players made better by the system and the players around them. Look at everything they've done, or better yet, haven't done since leaving.

If we're going to look at what they've done in the past, that's what they need to do. They need to bring in some of these mid-level guys through trade again and make them better than they are.

Yes, I agree. Drury was a "second tier" marquee guy when they traded for him. He was pretty highly regarded before he came to Buffalo. Briere was a nobody at the time. I am not saying the Sabres needed to go out and sign the twins, or even Hossa, but it would be nice, if they had targeted a tough defenemen as their biggest priority, they had at least tried to get the best ones available. Not saying the Monatdor signing is a bad one, just not one that I think is going to be any real major change from what we had last year. I don't think the Sabres roster is void of talent, but I do think they are void of effective leadership. They aren't miles away from being a playoff contender again, but some of their better guys (Pomminville, Roy, etc) just seem to need someone to lead them, to be effective.

Drury was a supporting guy in his entire time before Buffalo. He rode on the coattails of hall of famers in Colorado and then Iginla in his one year in Calgary. Quite honestly, I look at his production during those years and it reminds me a lot of a guy like Kotalik post-lockout.

Free agency is just beginning. Many teams are concerned about getting a player that will not only help their teams win but also sell tickets. But most teams realize that the ticket sales have been moving slowly lately with a good number of the American franchises wondering if they will even exist in a few years. That survival concern doesn't include the Sabres (backoff Hamilton) but overspending is not in the interest of most teams. There will be a lull in signings then a surge as the season gets closer. The Hossa signing was interesting. Myers should make the team so that should impact the size and might on defense. The Kassian pick was a surprise as I thought and hoped the pick would be a defenseman. But Kassian brings some nasty which has been sorely needed. Brayden McNabb was supposed to be chosen earlier so maybe the Sabres have a quality defenseman from this draft. The Rangers and Flyers made a splash when they signed Drury and Briere. Now, they both have some serious cap issues. Former Sabres McKee and Grier are both available.

As for Montador I can't say what he will do for the Sabres. Wait and see. Habs overpaid for Spacek. He was inconsistent. The Habs had a long list of UFAs.