Might want to put this on your Christmas list

Joe D's Tales From The Buffalo Bills

Also a 'review' of Tasker's book available though he doesn't fare as well as Joe.

Shockingly, to me, Taskers' book is the biggest waste of time disguised as a Bills book you could read. I say shockingly, because Tasker is a smart guy, but I don't think there is one story in his book you haven't heard a zillion times already, and there isn't even any "fresh" insight into any of the already well known stories. It is just like he takes a Bills related subject matter, like a fan might do, and just rattles off everyt cliche he remembers reading about it, like:

"Jim Kelly! He was a tough son of a gun. He was like a linebacker playing quarterback out there. In fact, and people may not know this, Joe Paterno recruited Jim to play linebacker at Penn State...." It is an awful book, and not even well written in any sense of the idea. I haven't read the Joe D book, but the guy is very opinionated, so I am fairly certain there might be at least somehting of value in his book.

As much as I don't like the guy, the best Bills book I have ever read is Fred Smerlas' "By A Nose". He played on the Bills during my favorite period of Bills football (Chuck Knox era) and, like Joe D, is not afraid to give an opinion, or trash someone. The book was written at the end of Smerlas' playing career, and in it, he trashes Marv Levy quite liberally. He was very bitter toward Marv for relasing him after the 1989 season, in favor of Jeff Wright. Smerlas has since bactracked a little on his hostility toward Levy (time has a habit of putting things into perspective, even for lug heads like Smerlas), but it is refreshing to read something honest. He also goes into the racial divide that existed on the team in the mid-80's. Good read...it is one of the only Bills books I have ever read, where I heard things that I hadn't known about before, true insider stuff...

Shockingly, to me, Taskers' book is the biggest waste of time disguised as a Bills book you could read. I say shockingly, because Tasker is a smart guy, but I don't think there is one story in his book you haven't heard a zillion times already, and there isn't even any "fresh" insight into any of the already well known stories. It is just like he takes a Bills related subject matter, like a fan might do, and just rattles off everyt cliche he remembers reading about it, like:

"Jim Kelly! He was a tough son of a gun. He was like a linebacker playing quarterback out there. In fact, and people may not know this, Joe Paterno recruited Jim to play linebacker at Penn State...." It is an awful book, and not even well written in any sense of the idea. I haven't read the Joe D book, but the guy is very opinionated, so I am fairly certain there might be at least somehting of value in his book.

As much as I don't like the guy, the best Bills book I have ever read is Fred Smerlas' "By A Nose". He played on the Bills during my favorite period of Bills football (Chuck Knox era) and, like Joe D, is not afraid to give an opinion, or trash someone. The book was written at the end of Smerlas' playing career, and in it, he trashes Marv Levy quite liberally. He was very bitter toward Marv for relasing him after the 1989 season, in favor of Jeff Wright. Smerlas has since bactracked a little on his hostility toward Levy (time has a habit of putting things into perspective, even for lug heads like Smerlas), but it is refreshing to read something honest. He also goes into the racial divide that existed on the team in the mid-80's. Good read...it is one of the only Bills books I have ever read, where I heard things that I hadn't known about before, true insider stuff...

"By a Nose" is great. I really liked Tasker's book but I guess I'm more of a homer than you. Kevin Everett's book is good too. Marv Levy's book is really great. It covers his whole life.

we keep smerlas we win the SB..nice job Levy. stick to coaching. forget about personnel.

Conrad Doblers "they Call Me Dirty" co-written by Vic Carucci is pretty good. Though most of it is about his days as a St. Louis Cardinal, he has a lot of good things and good stories to tell about his time in Buffalo. Other than a few chapters devoted to recapping entire seasons its worth reading and is probably similar to "by a nose" in that hes an interesting guy who isnt candy coating things like tasker in his book.