Roomba.......

Stl Bills

Do those things actually work? How good are they at picking up dog hair? Vacuum just crapped out and since I'm extra busy and extra lazy, was thinking bout getting one.

Do those things actually work? How good are they at picking up dog hair? Vacuum just crapped out and since I'm extra busy and extra lazy, was thinking bout getting one.

I don't know - aren't they just for hard floors, not carpets? :thumbsup:

A Kohl's department store ad in this mornings' Cincy Enquirer paper them on sale for $299. No idea if that's a good price.

they are for sale on woot.com at least 4 times a month for about 150 to 200 bucks. the original models actually work pretty darn good and new the models are supposed to be even better and apparently won't get stuck like the old ones. Carpet isn't a problem for these, its a misconception due to size that people believe it can't clean a carpet because the motor isn't big enough.

I have one of the first models from ~8 years ago. It worked great in the beginning - picked up cat fur and other debris. Got into the corners pretty well too. After about 6 months, it stopped working as well. I took it apart, cleaned it out, and it worked better, but was never as good as the beginning. After a year or so, we stopped using it because it was a hassle to empty the bucket, recharge it, set up the "virtual walls," etc.

I know they've had many improvements since then (for example, it'll return to the base station to recharge when done or when needing a charge). Not sure how many models there are nowadays, but assuming that they only got better over the past decade, I could recommend one. You'll probably still need a real vacuum to use once every month or two (to do the deep cleaning), but for general day to day cleaning, it works pretty well.

When they first came out, some sales person in a Sharper Image store fired one up, yapping all the while about how amazing it was. He put it on the floor, it disappeared under a desk and never came back out. About 10 of us laughed our butts off.

Hopefully, they've gotten better, but after that.........nah.

When they first came out, some sales person in a Sharper Image store fired one up, yapping all the while about how amazing it was. He put it on the floor, it disappeared under a desk and never came back out. About 10 of us laughed our butts off.

Hopefully, they've gotten better, but after that.........nah.

Yeah turns out they don't do well on taller/thicker carpet which is what I have so I guess it back to the drawing board. I'm trying to find something that is good on pet hair with the new dog and all. The Dyson vacuum cleaners get good reviews but damn that's a lot for a vacuum cleaner.

Yeah turns out they don't do well on taller/thicker carpet which is what I have so I guess it back to the drawing board. I'm trying to find something that is good on pet hair with the new dog and all. The Dyson vacuum cleaners get good reviews but damn that's a lot for a vacuum cleaner.

We have a Dyson. They're worth the price.

The Roomba...I already have something that automatically and regularly cleans the carpets. It's called a wife. What the hell do I need a Roomba for?

I will vouche for the Roomba. I have one that is couple years old, not the type of the line but still great. I paid $100 for it on woot and it is well worth the money. My basic statement is: it vacuums 10 times better than I would.

Who has shag carpet in 2009?

I will vouche for the Roomba. I have one that is couple years old, not the type of the line but still great. I paid $100 for it on woot and it is well worth the money. My basic statement is: it vacuums 10 times better than I would.

Lana?

I actually decided to go with this Kenmore because it was actually rated a lot higher by consumer reports than all the Dysons, Kirbys, and other high priced vacuum cleaners, its about $250.......

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Kenmore%20Prog...wNwWepGbxLAnrsF