Should athletes speak out on issues?

Rush23

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/209154-...ng-with-america

I read this article and itt got me thinking. It could generate some good discussion.

Should athletes speak out on touchy/political issues? Sure they can bring attention to the matter, but is it their place? Should we value their opinion?

Also should the USA be the big brother to all countries?

Yes, I think anyone is allowed to speak on the issues they care about. Those in the public eye are allowed to make issues known. Should their opinion be respected more than anyone else's? No, but it can be listened to if you want to listen to it.

It's amazing how celebrities can use their fame to acquire public office. i.e. Sonny Bono, Gopher, Arnold, Al Franken, Sarah Palin, Ronald Reagan, Fred Thompson...

I believe part of it is that actors are, well actors and, for the most part, telegenic people win office in our society.

Linky

So, who are the next celebrity politicians? Russell Simmons seems to be angling for city or statewide office in New York. Barbara Streisand has spent thousands on politics and could be a candidate for all manner of public office. Robert Redford has been mentioned as a possible Senate candidate in Utah for years. Alec Baldwin has always had an eye on a congressional or Senate seat in New York, though his acrimonious split with ex-wife Kim Basinger might make things messy. Bulworth star Warren Beatty, the architect of the Hollywood-Washington Democratic fundraising link, weighed in on a third-party run in the 2000 election, but ultimately decided against it: Could he still have a future in Washington?

SAG President Melissa Gilbert, who made many hearts flutter with her revealing dress at the Golden Globes this year, would be a fetching candidate for the Senate one day. The regal Candace Bergen, who is no stranger to making donations to Democratic women candidates, would be a wonderful match for the Senate as well. Or how about Michael Douglas, who played an American president in The American President? How about the brainy Jeff Goldblum for Congress? Or even Hollywood's Everyman, Tom Hanks, as a Republican senator? Or Sylvester Stallone?

The possibilities are endless, the tabloids are at the ready, and we, the public, are on the edge of our seats. Celebrity politicians are here to stay.

Oops! I almost forgot Adam West is Mayor of Quahog.

Oops! I almost forgot Adam West is Mayor of Quahog.

:thumbsup:

Seriously, I don't think athletes should be required to speak out. This has been a criticism of Tiger Woods over the years in that he doesn't always speak out about various things - I've heard a number of reporters complain that he doesn't speak out against racism and other politically sensitive issues, but I honestly don't see the point.

Yes, athletes (especially those of Tiger's popularity) can easily use their celebrity status to raise awareness on certain issues and I can understand why those who lead a cause would encourage them to do such a thing. If it's all for a good cause, then I have no problem with that. But I don't understand the criticism of athletes - and other celebrities - when they don't speak out.

It's a free country and everyone - athletes, celebrities, and us peons who spend time on message boards all day long - is allowed to speak out. I just don't think everyone in the public eye should be required to.