Airbus 310 Crashes With 154 Aboard!

Steely Dan

Now reported that a 14 year old girl did survive. No confirmation on a 5 year old.

Linky

At first, Comoros officials said there were no signs of survivors among the dead bodies floating in the choppy waters. But then rescuers found the young child.

Cox said it reminded him of the 1987 crash of Northwest Flight 255 in Detroit, Michigan in which only a 4-year-old girl survived, while 156 others died.

"This has come up before and it's where the toddler was seated (during the impact) that allowed them to survive," he said.

Where did you hear about the 14 year old?

Linky

At first, Comoros officials said there were no signs of survivors among the dead bodies floating in the choppy waters. But then rescuers found the young child.

Cox said it reminded him of the 1987 crash of Northwest Flight 255 in Detroit, Michigan in which only a 4-year-old girl survived, while 156 others died.

"This has come up before and it's where the toddler was seated (during the impact) that allowed them to survive," he said.

Where did you hear about the 14 year old?

here

Very Sad...Thoughts and prayers. These recent crashes sure don't calm this sometimes apprehensive flyer. I have a 7+ hour flight over the Pacific in a couple months for my honeymoon...on an Airbus. :o . I suspect there will be many cocktails involved.

Very Sad...Thoughts and prayers. These recent crashes sure don't calm this sometimes apprehensive flyer. I have a 7+ hour flight over the Pacific in a couple months for my honeymoon...on an Airbus. :o . I suspect there will be many cocktails involved.

Hey that's how you got her to marry you, why stop now.

Link

Link

Link

:lol: I'm praying for you! :wallbash:

Very Sad...Thoughts and prayers. These recent crashes sure don't calm this sometimes apprehensive flyer. I have a 7+ hour flight over the Pacific in a couple months for my honeymoon...on an Airbus. :wallbash: . I suspect there will be many cocktails involved.

See above post. :o

If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going!

Well, not really... I've flown more legs on Airbus aircraft than I have Boeing. The A320s that I've flown on JetBlue are so vastly superior to the 737s/757s on the legacies, but that's largely due to carrier differences (newer planes, larger overhead bins, more legroom, better IFE options, etc).

One of Boeing's biggest mistakes, imo, was abandoning larger single-aisle planes for longer flights, particularly the NA transcon routes. They haven't had a replacement for the 757 since they discontinued it in 2005. Airlines are primarially using 737-800s and a few 900s to handle these routes (with a few exceptions such as DL and AA using 767s and 777s on core routes such as ATL-LAX, JFK-SFO, etc). The 37's weren't designed to make 5.5-6 hr flights comfortable - fewer lavatories per passenger, smaller first class cabin, fewer exit row seats, etc. It's particularly annoying for me, because most of my trips out of seatac are to visit family back in NY , meaning that I'm taking DL (737), AA (757), or JetBlue (A320) to JFK. No wide-body aircraft on this route, and almost ALWAYS oversold.

Very Sad...Thoughts and prayers. These recent crashes sure don't calm this sometimes apprehensive flyer. I have a 7+ hour flight over the Pacific in a couple months for my honeymoon...on an Airbus. :lol: . I suspect there will be many cocktails involved.

I, like you, am a apprehensive flyer. Although, terrified, sure i will never touch the ground again is a more apt desription :o

Anyway, i would say on average once every three months I must climb on a plane for various reasons. Talked to my dac about it and he presribed Ativan(lorazepam)Take 5mg of it bout 30 mins before takeoff, have one beer...and I am all set. Still scared, but not having my heart rate go to 180 and having a panic attack on takeoff.

Here is a blurb on Wikipedia

Lorazepam has relatively potent anxiolytic effects and its best known indication is the short-term management of severe chronic anxiety. It is fast acting, and useful in treating fast onset panic anxiety.[6]

Now, this combo will usually put me asleep for two hrs, so just be forwarned. For the trans ocean flight, should do ya just fine. For me the two hrs is usually fine, as any thing under 8 hr drive I be driving if for business, 12 if for vacation!!!

UGH...I fly that route on Delta or AA all the time and CANT STAND IT when its on a 737. The 757 is bad enough, but like you said, the 737 was not designed for such a long haul. And its ALWAYS packed...and when going from JFK to SEA on Delta its a final connector flight from a few foreign airlines, so half the plane doesnt speak English and filled with (sorry) smelly, tired, cantankerous and often tanked up folks who just got off a 13-17 hour jaunt from Moscow or some other far away land.

Not a great flight.

Flying now is nothing more than glorifed bus travel. But thats what we want...air fares as cheap as humanly possible, down to the last five bucks..so the airlines acted accordingly.

so true....

but as deranged as it is... i love fighting with everyone on a WN flight for the best seats... i love 73's and 75's they are my favorite planes to fly on. i dont like widebodies because your dealing with too many people and it takes too long to get on and off and dealing wth 250 people who act like they have never flown before and cluttering up the aisles and overhead bins sucks.

ill take my chances fighting with 125 others on a southwest flight, at least they are quick and effecient and occasionaly the flight attendants are funny. and i have confidence in b73's and WN flight crews

but my experience is usually BUF-TPA or BUF-MCO and for a 2ish hour non stop flt. you cant beat it. period.

air travel is what it is...