Jarvis Moss

That's not what was said.

He said Maybin CAN'T play OLB. I asked how does he know. He said because he's never done it before.

I never said anything about assuming he could, or even saying that I thought he could. I just asked how he would know what Maybin could or could not play.

Penciling Maybin in at OLB is a mistake as he has not displayed the skills necessary for the position. Saying he CAN'T play the position is equally wrong, as he has never been asked to play it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penciling Maybin in at OLB is a mistake as he has not displayed the skills necessary for the position. Saying he CAN'T play the position is equally wrong, as he has never been asked to play it.

Are you talking about OLB in any defense, or just the 4-3?

Are you talking about OLB in any defense, or just the 4-3?

Sorry, I really meant 3-4, but I wouldn't automatically assume he can be an every down linebacker in any scheme. I also wouldn't assume he couldn't play the position, either.

Sorry, I really meant 3-4, but I wouldn't automatically assume he can be an every down linebacker in any scheme. I also wouldn't assume he couldn't play the position, either.

This is actually an interesting topic to me. When I first heard that they were considering using Maybin a bit at OLB my initial reaction was that he would likely get killed in coverage because he's simply never had to do it before.

But my second thought, and maybe overriding thought, was that the jump from college to the pros is so huge that virtually everything is different. The speed is different, the angles players must take, the plays and players are faster, the techniques that work or don't work are different, etc. The teams basically start from scratch with most of these guys anyway, and it's very often harder to rid a rookie of bad habits he used successfully before than it is to take a raw talent like Maybin and teach him to do things the way you want him to.

I'm nor sure about this but it may not at all be all that more difficult to teach Maybin or even Nic Harris to play LB in the Bills scheme in the NFL than it would be to teach a rookie LB who has played it most of his life. If a player is a good quick study and he can translate what he is taught to what he does on the field, it may not be any harder.

This is actually an interesting topic to me. When I first heard that they were considering using Maybin a bit at OLB my initial reaction was that he would likely get killed in coverage because he's simply never had to do it before.

But my second thought, and maybe overriding thought, was that the jump from college to the pros is so huge that virtually everything is different. The speed is different, the angles players must take, the plays and players are faster, the techniques that work or don't work are different, etc. The teams basically start from scratch with most of these guys anyway, and it's very often harder to rid a rookie of bad habits he used successfully before than it is to take a raw talent like Maybin and teach him to do things the way you want him to.

I'm nor sure about this but it may not at all be all that more difficult to teach Maybin or even Nic Harris to play LB in the Bills scheme in the NFL than it would be to teach a rookie LB who has played it most of his life. If a player is a good quick study and he can translate what he is taught to what he does on the field, it may not be any harder.

I don't think the Bills have ever said that. I think they've actually said the contrary, when asked about it.

Don't forget that Maybin was projected as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL, not a DE.

I don't think the Bills have ever said that. I think they've actually said the contrary, when asked about it.

I have heard it from a couple sources that they are going to use him that way (although mostly as a DE). Here is an article that suggests it, too, from last week here.

ROOKIE IMPRESSIONS

Defensive end Aaron Maybin, the team's No. 1 pick, is a physical specimen with a lot of easily recognizable athletic gifts. But what happens when the mayhem of an NFL Sunday unfolds and the 249-pounder is giving away 60 pounds to offensive tackles and guards is a question yet to be answered. The coaches hope he can develop a good repertoire of pass-rush moves so he can utilize his speed in getting to the quarterback. It's already apparent backup plans are in the works to use him in a linebacker role if he does get overmatched by bigger bodies up front. It's up to Maybin what happens.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/11894396

I have heard it from a couple sources that they are going to use him that way (although mostly as a DE). Here is an article that suggests it, too, from last week here.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/11894396

I don't know what that guy's sources are, but any time anyone from the organization was asked, they responded that he was strictly going to be a DE. I wonder if that guy is just speculating, or if he heard differently. I think it is interesting if true. Hopefully he works out at ANY position.

Don't forget that Maybin was projected as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL, not a DE.

Depends on the scouting service. Most I saw had him as a DE. Some suggested he might be too light and might have to be moved to OLB.

What about Moss do you like? His 1 start in two years? His ridiculously low production even considering that low number of starts? WTF are you people seeing in this numbnuts that I don't see?

Well I see that he is better than Kennerd Cox and Ellis Lankster (the last players drafted by the Bills in the last two drafts) And better than Copelan Bryan. He can thus make our team better.