Jarvis Moss

Neither has anyone from the Packers defense, the Chiefs defense, or any other defense that is switching over for the first time. You gotta start somewhere.

Um, yeah. Let's switch to the 3-4 a month before training camp. Let's rewrite 80% of the entire defensive playbook 1 month before camp. Let's forget that we've drafted, traded and went through FA with a 4-3 in mind! Brilliant!

I'm not opposed to a 3-4, but making a switch right now is stupid. Why would you suggest it?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, yeah. Let's switch to the 3-4 a month before training camp. Let's rewrite 80% of the entire defensive playbook 1 month before camp. Let's forget that we've drafted, traded and went through FA with a 4-3 in mind! Brilliant!

I'm not opposed to a 3-4, but making a switch right now is stupid. Why would you suggest it?

You clearly have not read any of the thread. Nice job.

Mmmm. Stroud is much more athletic than Kyle Williams. If we went to a 3-4 I'd have Williams in the middle with Stroud playing the part of Richard Seymour at end. Besides both being quick and athletic, Stroud and Seymour are the exact same size...6' 6" and 310 pounds. Williams would be like a fish out of water at DE.

But yes we don't have the personnel on the roster right now to go 3-4.

Actually, Williams played at DE last year for us at times. I think he's more athletic than Stroud. Stroud is very stiff.

You clearly have not read any of the thread. Nice job.

I read it all, and he is right.

Switching now, with this roster, and these coaches, would be phenomenally stupid. Perhaps you could stitch together a starting 3-4 lineup (not a good one, mind you). What about depth? The team would be screwed.

But even if there were quality bodies on the team for the 3-4 (there aren't) changing the playbook, and asking players and coaches (most of whom are already familiar with the 4-3 the Bills play) is asking for a horrendous season for the D. Switching to a 3-4 now is essentially writing off the season.

The teams making the switch this offseason are flipping players like pancakes, have drafted for the change, changed coaches...yet they are still building for the future.

Since it will NEVER happen with the Bills this year, why bother to continue the fantasy?

I read it all, and he is right.

Switching now, with this roster, and these coaches, would be phenomenally stupid. Perhaps you could stitch together a starting 3-4 lineup (not a good one, mind you). What about depth? The team would be screwed.

But even if there were quality bodies on the team for the 3-4 (there aren't) changing the playbook, and asking players and coaches (most of whom are already familiar with the 4-3 the Bills play) is asking for a horrendous season for the D. Switching to a 3-4 now is essentially writing off the season.

The teams making the switch this offseason are flipping players like pancakes, have drafted for the change, changed coaches...yet they are still building for the future.

Since it will NEVER happen with the Bills this year, why bother to continue the fantasy?

Two people "reading" the thread, both missing this on the very first page...

I'm not saying I think we should switch, just pointing out that we may have more of the personnel to do so than you think.

I'm not advocating us switching defenses next year, let alone this year. I was saying that we're not as far off personnel wise as one of the posters was saying.

Two people "reading" the thread, both missing this on the very first page...

I'm not advocating us switching defenses next year, let alone this year. I was saying that we're not as far off personnel wise as one of the posters was saying.

What makes you think this is about you?

The Bills need to go to a 3-4 Defense already.

But since you brought it up. IMO, most of the personnel moves you (and others) have made (hypothetically) for the 3-4, look like stop-gap emergency moves at best.

What makes you think this is about you?

But since you brought it up. IMO, most of the personnel moves you (and others) have made (hypothetically) for the 3-4, look like stop-gap emergency moves at best.

Probably because he quoted my post, and then criticized me for "wanting" to switch to the 3-4 defense months before the season...

Probably because he quoted my post, and then criticized me for "wanting" to switch to the 3-4 defense months before the season...

Let's try this again. I responded to your post calling out todd (I can't believe I'm defending todd) for noting the 3-4 is a bad idea this year. He's right, it is a bad idea this year. While YOU may have noted you didn't think it should be done this year, there is a post in the thread that does indeed suggest that (or at least has no qualifier). I supplied that post already.

I assume Todd responded to your post, as you have done the most in this thread to discuss how the Bills could stick these square pegs into those round holes. Perhaps he should have gone back and responded to kota's post, but you have been doing the bulk of the work keeping his dream alive (even after you mentioned you weren't advocating it for this year).

capice?

When the Dolphins hired Cam Cameron, I said "one & done" & even correctly predicted the Dolphins to go 1-15 (about the only team I got right in 2007).

There are very few chances to confidently predict a coach will be a total bust, but I think McDaniels is a pretty safe bet to go "2 & done" at most and probably more like a season & a few games, since Denver won't be bad enough to win 1 game. He may be smarter, but this guy has Hank Bullough written all over him. He's already PO'd his franchise QB enough to lose him before ever coaching a game.

Let's try this again. I responded to your post calling out todd (I can't believe I'm defending todd) for noting the 3-4 is a bad idea this year. He's right, it is a bad idea this year. While YOU may have noted you didn't think it should be done this year, there is a post in the thread that does indeed suggest that (or at least has no qualifier). I supplied that post already.

I assume Todd responded to your post, as you have done the most in this thread to discuss how the Bills could stick these square pegs into those round holes. Perhaps he should have gone back and responded to kota's post, but you have been doing the bulk of the work keeping his dream alive (even after you mentioned you weren't advocating it for this year).

capice?

Dean, I think you misunderstood.

1.) I talked about our personnel in a 3-4 defense.

2.) Todd quoted me and criticized me for wanting to switch defenses.

3.) Since I never said that, and actually said the opposite, I replied and told him he clearly didn't read the thread.

4.) You then responded, and said Todd was right. (you meant he was right about it not being a good idea to switch this year, but in contrast to Todd and I going back and forth, I took it as Todd was right that I said we should).

Dean, I think you misunderstood.

1.) I talked about our personnel in a 3-4 defense.

2.) Todd quoted me and criticized me for wanting to switch defenses.

3.) Since I never said that, and actually said the opposite, I replied and told him he clearly didn't read the thread.

4.) You then responded, and said Todd was right. (you meant he was right about it not being a good idea to switch this year, but in contrast to Todd and I going back and forth, I took it as Todd was right that I said we should).

Sometimes it is hard to tell the players without a program. :o

If they are going to cut him trade a 7th for him to make sure you land him. If I remember correctly, they wanted a 7th for him earlier in the off season when he was on the bloock. What is a 7th rounder the Bills... just another useless, camp fodder, DB-to-be-cut. When you have a roster with DEs like Kelsay as a starter and Copeland Bryan getting on the field in a real NFL game, you need major help at the position This is the best option for the Bills to improve at DE right now IMO. (I am also for aquiring that Kentucky kid Jermey Jarmon in the Supp. draft) Sounds like a 4th rounder would guarentee us being able to quire him.

In essance, cut Kelsay and Copland Bryan replace with Moss, Jarmon. This would take a 4th (maybe 5th) and 7th to do. Works for me.

If they are going to cut him trade a 7th for him to make sure you land him. If I remember correctly, they wanted a 7th for him earlier in the off season when he was on the bloock. What is a 7th rounder the Bills... just another useless, camp fodder, DB-to-be-cut. When you have a roster with DEs like Kelsay as a starter and Copeland Bryan getting on the field in a real NFL game, you need major help at the position This is the best option for the Bills to improve at DE right now IMO. (I am also for aquiring that Kentucky kid Jermey Jarmon in the Supp. draft) Sounds like a 4th rounder would guarentee us being able to quire him.

In essance, cut Kelsay and Copland Bryan replace with Moss, Jarmon. This would take a 4th (maybe 5th) and 7th to do. Works for me.

What about Moss do you like? His 1 start in two years? His ridiculously low production even considering that low number of starts? WTF are you people seeing in this numbnuts that I don't see?

How the hell would you know?

All that tape I have of him in Coverage?

Oh wait...There is none cause he's done almost none...

Come on...He's a Rush DE and projecting Him to OLB in a 4-3 is a stretch and a half...You think Maybin could stick with most of the NFL HB's and TE's He would need to in Coverage??? Really? This ain't Pop Warner...

Believe Me I know... :o

All that tape I have of him in Coverage?

Oh wait...There is none cause he's done almost none...

Come on...He's a Rush DE and projecting Him to OLB in a 4-3 is a stretch and a half...You think Maybin could stick with most of the NFL HB's and TE's He would need to in Coverage??? Really? This ain't Pop Warner...

Believe Me I know... :o

Ah, the old absence of evidence = false statement argument.

Go back to high school, my man.

Yep, God cannot be physically seen, therefore he must not exist. It's one of the major philosophical arguments.

I have no idea if Maybin can maintain man coverage better or worse than the average NFL linebacker. I'll reserve judgment until I see him play. But he is an athletic freak with very long arms and great speed and quickness. If he can change direction well enough I think he'd be fine in coverage.

I honestly don't think it would take that long, and I don't think you'd have to wipe every player off our defense now in exchange for other players. Just because these players haven't played in the 3-4 doesn't mean that they CAN'T play in the 3-4. It's a puzzle. See who fits, see who doesn't, and make the changes where it is necessary. Some players will fit, some won't. I think if you bring in the right coaches who can get to the players, it wouldn't necessarily be 3 years of nothing before you start seeing progress.

Well, you're right, just because they haven't played in the 3-4 doesn't mean they can't. But if you look at the history of this kind of transition, almost always about 80% - 90% of the personnel turns over over in the next 2 - 3 years. It's the way the thing almost always runs. There's always a chance that we might be different, but it's not the way to bet (to paraphrase).

Actually, he didn't imply that he had proven anything. What he did do is point out that if a guy has never displayed a skill, assuming that he has it is a stretch.

And he's right, it is.

Actually, he didn't imply that he had proven anything. What he did do is point out that if a guy has never displayed a skill, assuming that he has it is a stretch.

And he's right, it is.

That's not what was said.

He said Maybin CAN'T play OLB. I asked how does he know. He said because he's never done it before.

I never said anything about assuming he could, or even saying that I thought he could. I just asked how he would know what Maybin could or could not play.