Jarvis Moss

Why not OLB - Maybin, ILB Posluszny, ILB Kawika Mitchell, OLB Aaron Schobel?

i see your point, but agree with fingon on this one. Now if our D ***** the bed this season, then maybe we should take a look. Chances are if we do bad this season, that Jauron is gone, and that means new coach and new schemes-

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has failed as a DE, so the Broncos are trying him at OLB.

From the Denver Post on June 4th

Jarvis Moss, the Broncos' first-round draft pick in 2007, worked as an outside linebacker in the No. 1 nickel defense.

"Coach is mixing it up, giving everybody opportunities to work with different groups, so that's all that was," Moss said. "I'm an OLB now, so I'll be standing up most of the time."

Moss has struggled to get on the field in his first two seasons, in part because at 250 pounds he didn't have the strength at defensive end to beat offensive tackles.

He weighs a personal-high 258 pounds now.

"I'm going to push real hard here through the rest of June and July and hit training camp running," Moss said.

Lets see:

1. None of our personnel fit the 3-4 defense

2. Our defense is already good, and getting better

3. It's becoming harder and harder to find the talent to run a 3-4 defense.

4. There are less competitors for the top 4-3 talent.

Perfect!

wow, that is crazy that they are chalking him up as a failure at DE after 2 seasons in which he only played at total of 24 games. Kinda early-

wow, that is crazy that they are chalking him up as a failure at DE after 2 seasons in which he only played at total of 24 games. Kinda early-

Are you kidding? That doesn't hold a candle to only half a season and injury to James Hardy with Bills fans.

GET THIS GUY.

But this guy is a young guy with potential who is being released by a team who is overly committed to a system they just aren't ready to implement effectively. I wouldn't bring him in as a starter by any means. But we are lacking depth at defensive end (I mean quality depth, Ryan Denny and Chris Ellis don't inspire confidence off the bench). Maybin is good depth but he can't be counted on to step in full time.

If we added Moss I think that he can be a answer long term for replacing Schobel and give us depth in the short term. Its a great move give Denver a 7th round choice and bring this guy in. A young player with a lot of potential who was released or being traded for no real reason.

i agree 100%

Are you kidding? That doesn't hold a candle to only half a season and injury to James Hardy with Bills fans.

I dont think you can write off Hardy yet-LOL. I mean it took Eric Moulds 3 seasons before he became good, and he was a 1st rd pick as opposed to Hardy who was a 2nd. But I hear what you are saying

I dont think you can write off Hardy yet-LOL. I mean it took Eric Moulds 3 seasons before he became good, and he was a 1st rd pick as opposed to Hardy who was a 2nd. But I hear what you are saying

Be careful with that, 75% of the board will jump down your throat.

Be careful with that, 75% of the board will jump down your throat.

its ok, I am prepared LOL-but seriously we cant write him off just yet. To go a little further, I dont think we can write off John McCargo yet either, but he is really running out of time FAST!!! I will prob catch heat for that too, but BuffaloBills.com said McCargo did not see eye to eye with former Defensive Line coach (Mcnally I think was his name), and the new COACH has lit of match under his ass. Lets hope so are we wasted a good 1st rd pick, again. Right jp loserman?

Two roads to take, pack on some weight to take on the OT and lose some quickness, or become a LB. He's not cutting it right now from what they are saying.

Once again, the report was that Denver shopped him for a 7th round pick and there were no takers. This was reported by Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com.

I suppose he may have a high contract that nobody else wants to honor.

Or he could be one of those that hit the jackpot then decided to dog it. That's not unheard of.

I suppose he may have a high contract that nobody else wants to honor.

Or he could be one of those that hit the jackpot then decided to dog it. That's not unheard of.

Not sure about this contractually, but isn't the big money in rookie contracts all up front, while the rest of their actual annual salary is very marginal? If that is so, I believe Denver would have already paid him out his guaranteed money.

Not sure about this contractually, but isn't the big money in rookie contracts all up front, while the rest of their actual annual salary is very marginal? If that is so, I believe Denver would have already paid him out his guaranteed money.

Very well could be. Thanks!

Neither has anyone from the Packers defense, the Chiefs defense, or any other defense that is switching over for the first time. You gotta start somewhere.

That's true, and it would probably only take three years or so to fully make the change. That seems reasonable to me as long as you don't expect to do anything over the next 2 - 3 years and you're willing to get rid of virtually every player on our current defense.

Here are his base salary figures:

2009 $660,000

2010 $750,000

2011 $850,000

To those predicting he would be the answer to the DE positions, where does that come from? He might not even make the team. But since the Bills need help at DE and Maybin is not likely to be an every down player, at least not right off the bat, why not bring in Moss to have a look see? If, of course, he becomes available.

Of course, if he has a much potential as some seem to think, he will have other offers, too.

i see your point, but agree with fingon on this one. Now if our D ***** the bed this season, then maybe we should take a look. Chances are if we do bad this season, that Jauron is gone, and that means new coach and new schemes-

Yeah, if we bring in a new coach and new coordinators, it would be worth at least looking at it, but again, guys with different body types are needed for that defense. It takes a while to get rid of your old guys, bring in the type of guy who the system requires, and get everybody working together. It just takes a while.

Also, one of the main advantages of the 3 - 4 has always been that so few teams were using it. That meant that the types of guys who fit that defense - who look like unusable "tweeners" in the classic 4 - 3 - have not been in high demand, so you could get exactly the kind of guys you wanted at lower draft positions. It meant that you got a lot of guys at bargain draft positions and thus at bargain prices. The problem now is that the 3 - 4 is well and truly in vogue and so many teams are using it or starting to use it that the guys who fit that scheme are now in just as much demand as 4 - 3 style guys. Which eliminates a lot of the competitive personnel advantages which have always been a major reason the scheme worked so well.

Another traditional advantage to the 3 - 4 was that offenses saw it so rarely that it put them off-balance. Now, half the league uses it, and it puts nobody off-balance, because you probably played another 3 - 4 team last week.

The competitive advantages of the 4 - 3 are at an all-time low. It's like those guys who wait till the stock market has been going up for five years in a row and run around telling everyone that now is the time to buy. No, the time to buy was five years ago when everybody was saying, "Man the market is low, whatever you do, don't buy stocks." Now is historically about the worst time ever to turn to the 3 - 4.

Everyone keeps reiterating that the Broncos are cutting him because he doesn't fit their new scheme. BS. Did he fit there scheme last year when he only had 2.5 sacks?

Here are his numbers compared to two guys we already have who everybody on this board loves to hate:

Jarvis Moss TACKLES SACK FF

2008 12 2.5 0

Ryan Denney TACKLES SACK FF

2008 58 4 1

Chris Kelsay TACKLES SACK FF

2008 47 2 1

:wallbash::thumbsup::wallbash::angry:

Yeah, this is my question about Moss. He has played in the 4 - 3 for two years and had one sack his first year and 2.5 his second. I don't see this as a must-have guy. 9 tackles and 3 assists his first year (with one forced fumble) and 10 tackles his second year and 2 assists with no forced fumbles. Don't see the rush to get him here, honestly.

He didn't even get on the field in four games last year.

EDIT: Thanks, Captain Caveman. Although Pro Football Reference has him with one forced fumble his first year:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossJa99.htm