Firefox locking up with Yahoo homepage...

Just Jack

My homepage for Firefox is Yahoo, and these past couple of days one of its ads is locking it up. I run AdAware, remove cookies, and I might be able to do some surfing. But it's getting worse. Is there a way that I can change my FireFox homepage without opening FF? I did try their 'safe' mode, but got the same problem.

EDIT: I did upgrade to the latest version, thinking that might fix it. No difference.

Use IE to get ad block plus? Its an add on for FF that removes banner adds and popups.

I did download that but am not sure how to add it without opening FF. That's why I want to change my homepage, then download it using FF.

Go to tools, then options, then main and you'll see how you can change your homepage. Then download adblock and noscript.

.... which requires opening Firefox and loading the homepage first.

Easiest thing to do is create a new file on the desktop called blah.html, open that with Firefox, then change the homepage/install addblock/etc. I have a feeling that its probably a flash ad though that is causing flash to crash, which is crashing Firefox.

You can probably also go edit some prefs files or the registry to change the homepage, but doing what I said above should be easier.

(Or do what fingon said, who beat me while I was typing this lol)

.... which requires opening Firefox and loading the homepage first.

Easiest thing to do is create a new file on the desktop called blah.html, open that with Firefox, then change the homepage/install addblock/etc. I have a feeling that its probably a flash ad though that is causing flash to crash, which is crashing Firefox.

You can probably also go edit some prefs files or the registry to change the homepage, but doing what I said above should be easier.

(Or do what fingon said, who beat me while I was typing this lol)

Open Firefox in safe mode. Go to programs, Firefox and safe mode will pop up as an option.

This got me a step closer to figuring out what is going on.

It appears one of my add-ons may be the culprit. Last one I remember being updated was Text-to-Image. So now when FF starts, I get the box showing all add-ons, and that box is the one that comes up 'Not Responding' first. So how can I disable all add-ons before starting FF? Then I'll turn them back on one at a time to see if I'm correct that it may be the issue.

My homepage for Firefox is Yahoo, and these past couple of days one of its ads is locking it up. I run AdAware, remove cookies, and I might be able to do some surfing. But it's getting worse. Is there a way that I can change my FireFox homepage without opening FF? I did try their 'safe' mode, but got the same problem.

EDIT: I did upgrade to the latest version, thinking that might fix it. No difference.

Disconnect from the internet - either unplug your ethernet cable or tell your wireless to disconnect. Then when you open Firefox, it should almost immediately go to a screen that says it can't connect to the server. Then you should be able to change whatever settings you want. Close FF, reconnect, then you should be good to go.

Lots of people seem to really like Firefox,but the few times I've run it,it seemed much slower than Explorer. What are the advantages of Firefox compared to Explorer?

More secure with regards to malware/spyware. Plus less buggy in general.

Lots of people seem to really like Firefox,but the few times I've run it,it seemed much slower than Explorer. What are the advantages of Firefox compared to Explorer?

IE is the security equivalent of Swiss cheese. That, and FF is extremely customizable. I also really like the private browsing mode of 3.5 beta 4. It does not collect cookies or keep track of anything you do while it's running.

It's safer and more customizable if Just Jack had been running adblock and NoScript he wouldn't have this problem now, IMO.

Adblock keeps ads from showing up on the pages. NoScript blocks anything not completely necessary to the page. It give you the option to let the whole page load or only some parts of it after it's loaded.

I run a weather report that shows up on my header and shows the current temperature and with a click goes to a full weather report page. It also warns of severe weather alerts.

I also run KeyScramber. That encrypts keystrokes so if somebody is trying to see your typing from another computer it makes it a lot harder for them to do so.

You can change your browsers theme with a lot more options. I have a walnut wood theme on mine now.

I have a couple of news crawls on my browser. I also have a program that generates a one time use credit card number through Paypal so any stolen numbers over the internet are useless after they've been used.

I also have a program that with one click will fill in all the info a page asks for. Like: Name, address, phone number, birthdate, email, state and zip code.

I also have a password retainer so if I go to a site and it asks me to sign in my username and password are already loaded into the required boxes and clicking on "login" is all that needs to be done.

I also run a program that removes pictures with one click. If you're reading an article with a distracting picture you can click on it and make it disappear.